PDA

View Full Version : 1.8T gurus, service advice needed for a friend (2001 Jetta WE)

Numbersix
2012.05.18, 10:55 AM
A good friend of mine, a single woman, is moving from Seattle-SF at the end of the month. She has a 2001 Jetta WE with 82k on the clock. She's done her best to maintain it, but wants to ensure it'll make the 900+ mile drive down without major issue (and hopefully be reliable once there). She asked me to look over the records and give her advice on what she should get done, assuming a max budget of $4-500. She drives this car like an old lady--it rarely sees beyond 3000 rpm.

Recently (within the past 15k miles), it's had:

-Coolant flange replaced + coolant flush (waterpump was done around 50k)
-New coilpacks
-Rear brakes

Earlier, it had a number of vac hoses, VC gasket, MAF, boost solenoid, and some other items replaced.

It's been experiencing a random CEL--I don't know what the codes are as my VCDS only works on the MkV/MkVI cars unfortunately. The shop she's been taking it to found it was 2+ quarts low on oil and thinks the turbo may be failing; however the CEL has gone out on it's own and it hasn't lost any oil over the past 1500 miles...hard to say if that's a concern. No oily residue at the tailpipe, turbo builds boost fine and no funny noises. Oil in the boost hoses post-turbo though.

My question is:
-When should the timing belt be done? Should she try to budget for that prior to leaving?
-It looks like plugs haven't been done since the 40k service. I assume its due for those now (unless they were done with the last coilpack replacement--RO didn't indicate)?
-If not the t-belt, what else should be looked at?

I just want to ensure she makes it safely. Any advice you might have would be appreciated.

Rabbit 16v
2012.05.18, 11:33 AM
My question is:
-When should the timing belt be done? Should she try to budget for that prior to leaving?
-It looks like plugs haven't been done since the 40k service. I assume its due for those now (unless they were done with the last coilpack replacement--RO didn't indicate)?
-If not the t-belt, what else should be looked at?

1. Every 60k no matter what.
2. If they have not been done since 40k then they should be done now. Has she had the most recent K service performed? Ignition coil warranty work will not include plugs.
3. brakes, cam adjuster seals, cc breather stuffs, find out why the CEL is coming on, check intercooler inlet hose for excessive oil. thats all I can think of off the top of my head.