PDA

View Full Version : Caliper carrier slides

DowNnOutDubin
2012.10.15, 16:35 PM
Why are there mismatched slides?? Is there a particular one that should go up top (I wasn't expecting to have different ones to take note)? It came off a mk3 GLS. It appears to be factory since the other side was the same. Everything seems to have even wear like it was all original as well.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2zgx1yb.jpg

I'm a little over the top OCD about even the smallest things!

joel
2012.10.15, 16:40 PM
I'm not sure I can see in the photo.. what's different about them?

if they're anything like any of the other VW calipers I'm familiar with, they should be the same (in theory). Maybe one's not OEM?

DowNnOutDubin
2012.10.15, 16:45 PM
One has the flat notch going down the whole slide.. The other one tapers down in sections. I just couldn't see someone replacing one on each side, plus the bolt heads have equal dirt/grime. The caliper carriers also are the same brand.

joel
2012.10.15, 17:05 PM
/me looks at Chris

Rabbit 16v
2012.10.15, 18:07 PM
The stepped one looks like it might be from a reman caliper. The one with the groove looks OEM style. The purpose of the groove is so the slider does not run into hydraulic issues when sliding in and out due to grease on the carrier. Perhaps the stepped slider offers a similar function, but I cannot think of how it would be advantageous over the OEM one..

DowNnOutDubin
2012.10.15, 18:12 PM
Hmm, both calipers are Lucas. Everything looks very original (same markings, types of bolt heads, age/type of grease, also how the grease was both drying out simliar).

Rabbit 16v
2012.10.15, 18:22 PM
Yes, but reman companies do change things minutely. According to ETOS (I dont have ETKA on this machine), there is a difference left and right but no discernation about the pins themselves. According to the program, the pins are part of the carrier. So perhaps one is the upper and the other is a lower? Maybe it is done to help cut down on pad oscillation to prevent squeaking.

DowNnOutDubin
2012.10.15, 18:58 PM
That is actually what I was thinking.. The one that doesn't taper off seems to fit in a bit more snugly. I want to say the non tapered one goes up top. :thumbup:

DowNnOutDubin
2012.10.18, 16:33 PM
Funny thing is.. The calipers carriers I pulled from a freinds rear corrado beam (temp to get me driving the car again) had the same exact mismatched sliders in each caliper. I'm thinking more and more this is a OEM thing.

Rabbit 16v
2012.10.18, 21:27 PM
Its possible. Hard to tell from ETOS or even ETKA. Of course things are getting so old now that noone might even know the difference due to so many replacements. Any visible difference in the bores where they go?

DowNnOutDubin
2012.10.18, 23:20 PM
There is no visible difference in the bores. The slider that doesn't taper down fits more snugly in either of the holes. There doesn't seem to be a difference between either bore.

AlexPirate
2012.10.21, 08:06 AM
Notched goes on bottom, slider goes on top. Not sure why, but I would assume the tapered pin moves more freely and would release sooner than the flat slider when you come off the brakes. Also these pins are the same for mk2/3/4 calipers.

DowNnOutDubin
2012.10.21, 11:56 AM
I assumed correctly then! :D

Thanks. It's funny how I couldn't dig up any information on this online, especially with Vw using the same type of sliders for as long as they did.

AlexPirate
2012.10.22, 08:47 AM
I assumed correctly then! :D

Thanks. It's funny how I couldn't dig up any information on this online, especially with Vw using the same type of sliders for as long as they did.

Well now its documented :)