PDA

View Full Version : The *Official* ask Chris thread

benny_mech
2012.11.06, 21:16 PM
Official, 'cause I say so! :P

http://c1552172.r72.cf0.rackcdn.com/37073_x600.jpg

Just had a wire pull out of my Mk3 headlight connector. I want to get new ones with new pins, but can't find them. Where do I get my hands on these?

twardnw
2012.11.06, 21:36 PM
New pins? Go check the wiring/connectors thread, they're the same as a Bosch fuel injector pin :D

DowNnOutDubin
2012.11.06, 21:57 PM
Idk, I wouldn't sell Alex the Pirate short in this thread title! Between the two of them I've gotten a good confirmed diagnostics/answers.

I'm sure I owe both of them a beer :thumbup: :D

joel
2012.11.06, 22:21 PM
I'd rather have people continue to create new technical threads. We have already have so many 'ongoing' type threads that new people look at the forum and think there isn't much activity :(

Both Chris and Alex already do a good job of answering other threads :D

that said, if Chris wants an "Ask Fine Tuning" thread.. that would make sense, considering he's a sponsor

Rabbit 16v
2012.11.07, 19:07 PM
If you want to start a Fine Tuning thread, thats cool. but it would be nice if it was open to all. As was said before, Alex has helped out quite a bit as well. I have those connectors in stock, but you will need a 'W' crimper to install them. the connectors I may have but I would need to search the wiring bins. so much searching might make these plastic bits far more expensive than purchasing at the dealer. I suspect they might be about $8-$10 per connector from the dealer. You are welcome to come dig through the wiring bins yourself if you like. that will make it much cheaper ;)

AlexPirate
2012.11.15, 17:11 PM
Dealer Number for the housing: 1H0973734 ($12) each, contacts are microtimer (13-17AWG) made by Tyco/AMP. You are probably better off buying the kit from ECS if you don't have a W crimp tool because a good one costs around $300.

AlexPirate
2012.11.15, 17:13 PM
Also heres a good picture of the connectors.
Source: http://www.jimellisvwparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=741093

Twelvizm
2012.11.25, 08:27 AM
Chris, my B5.5 V6 4mowag has never put out much heat. I flushed the heater core and it was pretty clean and flowed well. This was about a year ago. The flushing made no improvement and has since stopped blowing any heat at all. I'm praying that its anything but the heater core. Your thoughts?

Rabbit 16v
2012.11.25, 12:02 PM
Have you tried soaking it with CLR?

Twelvizm
2012.11.26, 05:49 AM
I have not. I'll give that a go.

Twelvizm
2012.12.30, 20:38 PM
So I flushed the core with CLR. It got it flowing again. But, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get all the air out of the system. I hung the coolant tank from the hood, and used the bleed hole on the output hose, revving up to 3k, bleeding, etc. No dice. I still have gurgling. I'm getting heat, just not much at idle.

Rabbit 16v
2012.12.30, 23:13 PM
well, you should be able to get a steady feed from the bleed hole on the heater core hose. I think you may need to employ a helper. Have them hold the rpm at 3k while you have the hose pulled back from the connection. Pull the clamp back until it is not on the area that it normally would be on. Slide the hose off just enough that the hole is directly exposed to coolant and bleed from there. If that doesnt work, you will likely need a heater core. :(

benny_mech
2013.01.08, 16:57 PM
I've had the seatbelt and airbag lights going on and off randomly in the gti (mk3). I scanned it a few days ago, and came up with an intermittent airbag code, so I guess it's more than just a short in the dash. My seatbelt is always buckled, so I've got no ideas there. Halp?

Rabbit 16v
2013.01.08, 17:49 PM
What code are you getting?

Mr.Nobody
2013.01.29, 17:44 PM
Having a proplem with gf's car, 96' 2.0 automatic Golf. When she is driving and steps on the gas to speed up it stutters and the check engine light flashes, all she does to make it stop is ease up on the gas pedal for a second and then it's fine again. This started yesterday on the her way to work. It did 3 times on the way there and twice on the way home. When she got home I checked under the hood and couldn't find anything wrong so I drove it for about 45 minutes and tried to get to act up for me. It did once for about 2 seconds.

So on they way work today it only did once but on the way home it did 5 times. I drove again but couldn't get to act up. I tried to get the codes for the check engine light but the loaner scanner at Oriellys won't link to her car. So either scanner is broke or her car is the proplem.

Any ideas of what to look at?

twardnw
2013.01.29, 18:09 PM
IMO, start with the fuel filter

Mr.Nobody
2013.01.29, 18:42 PM
IMO, start with the fuel filter

Thats actually has crossed my mind.

Rabbit 16v
2013.01.29, 19:04 PM
It would be really odd to have the fuel filter cause this issue due to the car having a plastic tank, however, if it has not been replaced in a while, it cant hurt to do it now. It may not fix the issue, but at least it will give peace of mind that the filter has been replaced. If you want to bring it by the shop, we dont charge to scan for codes and our code deciphering will likely surpass that of the skilled professionals at Schmucks. Codes would be really helpful to help diagnose the issue.

Did you check the intake boot for tears? Not too common on the ABA but I have seen it.

Mr.Nobody
2013.01.29, 21:26 PM
Yes I checked the intake boot and all the vacuum lines, also looked for broken wires. Fuel filter was changed in June. I will have to have her stop by the shop on the way home from work. She gets off at 4 so she should be able to get there by 4:30.

Rabbit 16v
2013.01.29, 22:36 PM
Sounds good. We will send her home to you with a printout of the codes.

Mr.Nobody
2013.01.30, 05:08 AM
Sounds good. We will send her home to you with a printout of the codes.
:thumbup:

Mr.Nobody
2013.01.30, 19:18 PM
So the codes are

16884- Random/Multiple misfire Cylinder Misfire Detected
p0300-35-10 - Intermittent (this one is on the print out twice)

16687- Cylinder 3
p303-35-10 Misfire Detected- Intermittent

16687- Cylinder 3
p303-35-10 Misfire Detected

16502 Engine Coolant Temp Sensor(G62)
P0118-35-10- Signal too High- Intermittent

I took a quick look at the number 3 plug wire and took of the distributor cap off , everything looked good. I started it and tried see if I saw anything arcing or sparking, nothing was. That is as far as I got tonight because I had to deal with her flat tire.

Rabbit 16v
2013.01.31, 09:59 AM
When was the last time it had a tune up? Might be prudent to start with plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, and fuel filter. Also, a coolant temp sensor is pretty simple to replace and the part is not very expensive.

VWsEatRice
2013.01.31, 11:50 AM
When was the last time it had a tune up? Might be prudent to start with plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, and fuel filter. Also, a coolant temp sensor is pretty simple to replace and the part is not very expensive.

brings me back to my days at the parts counter.....1st question i'd ask when they ask me to diagnose their problem

Mr.Nobody
2013.01.31, 15:23 PM

All that you listed was replaced at the end of June with OEM parts. I did it because she started commuting. And the coolant tempature switch might be even newer than that.

Rabbit 16v
2013.01.31, 15:28 PM
check the big round connector on the sid eof the engine for corrosion or water evidence. also check the injector plug for cylinder 3

Mr.Nobody
2013.01.31, 15:56 PM
check the big round connector on the sid eof the engine for corrosion or water evidence. also check the injector plug for cylinder 3

OK.

Mr.Nobody
2013.01.31, 19:41 PM
Checked the connecter and there was some oil in it, have no idea how it got in there. Car dosen't leak any. So I cleaned it out with electrical connector cleaner and used a wire brush on it. And is still acting up. As far as the injector plug it looks good too.

Rabbit 16v
2013.01.31, 19:54 PM
What is it doing when it is 'acting up'? Is this easily replicated?

Mr.Nobody
2013.01.31, 20:45 PM
It struggles to go, feels like it's cutting out. All you have to do is let up on the gas pedal and it stops. It dosen't make any wierd noises or anything.Tonight is the first time it has done it while I was driving it. I drove it four times tonight and it varied in how often it did it. One time it was really bad and the other times it did it once or twice. She says it's worse after work then on the way to work. But traffic is more stop and go in the afternoon.

Rabbit 16v
2013.01.31, 22:39 PM
have you tried driving it with the MAF disconnected? Many times the MAF will not throw a code and cause strange driveability issues. Not saying it is the MAF but its rather hard to test without vag com. Also another long shot, but did this happen immediately after a fill up?

joel
2013.01.31, 23:13 PM
Chris... literally the day after I last stopped by the shop I started getting a P2015 code when the car is started up. Apparently it's the bank 1 intake sensor. Could this help cause my 'fuel rail pressure too high' code that I'm getting?

People online say the whole intake manifold needs to be replaced... presuming it's not the sensor itself :(

Mr.Nobody
2013.02.01, 04:59 AM
have you tried driving it with the MAF disconnected? Many times the MAF will not throw a code and cause strange driveability issues. Not saying it is the MAF but its rather hard to test without vag com. Also another long shot, but did this happen immediately after a fill up?

Haven't tried to drive it without the maf hooked up yet, I did look at it and it looked clean. This started on monday and she filled it up tuesday.

Rabbit 16v
2013.02.01, 19:54 PM
Chris... literally the day after I last stopped by the shop I started getting a P2015 code when the car is started up. Apparently it's the bank 1 intake sensor. Could this help cause my 'fuel rail pressure too high' code that I'm getting?

People online say the whole intake manifold needs to be replaced... presuming it's not the sensor itself :(

do you have a vag com code with description? those P codes are so generic they might as well say: 'you have a check engine light on, fix it'. ;)

Haven't tried to drive it without the maf hooked up yet, I did look at it and it looked clean. This started on monday and she filled it up tuesday.

How about now? :P Sometimes although they may look clean, they can still have a failure internally. I guess the fill up of the fuel tank can be ruled out.. Unless it was really low on fuel and that can cause an issue. If you have a fuel pressure gauge, it might be prudent to check it. Its pretty easy.

joel
2013.02.01, 20:24 PM
do you have a vag com code with description? those P codes are so generic they might as well say: 'you have a check engine light on, fix it'. ;)

nope.. I don't have a vcds cable. I only have an obd2 reader. I'm planning on driving through the area tomorrow.. maybe around noon. Will you be at the shop? :P

Mr.Nobody
2013.02.01, 23:22 PM
How about now? :P Sometimes although they may look clean, they can still have a failure internally. I guess the fill up of the fuel tank can be ruled out.. Unless it was really low on fuel and that can cause an issue. If you have a fuel pressure gauge, it might be prudent to check it. Its pretty easy.

Unplugged the maf and drove it, no change. Wasn't better or worse. Pulled the number 3 plug and it looks ok, also pulled the number 4 plug and it looked the same. Think I will change the coolant temp sensor tomorrow and see if that helps.

Rabbit 16v
2013.02.01, 23:37 PM
nope.. I don't have a vcds cable. I only have an obd2 reader. I'm planning on driving through the area tomorrow.. maybe around noon. Will you be at the shop? :P

I will around that time. See you then!

Unplugged the maf and drove it, no change. Wasn't better or worse. Pulled the number 3 plug and it looks ok, also pulled the number 4 plug and it looked the same. Think I will change the coolant temp sensor tomorrow and see if that helps.

I dont think that will fix the #3 misfire, but it may take care of the other code. I was thinking about this earlier, and didnt you have a coolant temp sensor problem with this car before?

joel
2013.02.02, 00:07 AM
I will around that time. See you then!

:thumbup:

Mr.Nobody
2013.02.02, 00:20 AM
I dont think that will fix the #3 misfire, but it may take care of the other code. I was thinking about this earlier, and didnt you have a coolant temp sensor problem with this car before?

Yes, the coolant light in the cluster kept blinking even though it was fine. Hey mind if I swing by the shop around noon with the car also?:love:

buddylove
2013.02.02, 05:05 AM
Me too! Just kidding...

Mr.Nobody
2013.02.02, 08:38 AM
I think I might have just figured it out! Don't know why I didn't looke at it sooner, the coil has a bunch of cracks in the casing.

buddylove
2013.02.02, 08:49 AM
That would do it. We had a similar issue with our old Harlequin and the ignition coil was the problem.

Mr.Nobody
2013.02.02, 10:21 AM
Going to head to pick-n-pull and see what they have. There is only two places that have them in stock. And I am guessing the NAPA one is the best quality wise.

Rabbit 16v
2013.02.02, 10:27 AM
Yes, the coolant light in the cluster kept blinking even though it was fine. Hey mind if I swing by the shop around noon with the car also?:love:

If you want to its no problem.

I think I might have just figured it out! Don't know why I didn't looke at it sooner, the coil has a bunch of cracks in the casing.

Bingo!

Mr.Nobody
2013.02.02, 14:42 PM
If you want to its no problem.

Thanks for the offer!:thumbup: I didn't see it before I left. But I did score a coil at pick-n-pull, it looks like it just came out of the box and it's a BERU!:) Going to go install it in a few wish me luck!

Mr.Nobody
2013.02.02, 15:30 PM
****!:( Made it ten blocks and it is still doing it.:mad: I am out of ideas.:banghead:
Really wish I had gone by the shop now.

Rabbit 16v
2013.02.02, 17:21 PM
Sorry man, I just got home too. :( Do you have a spare spark plug wire you can test with? Is it just bogging down or is it actively misfiring?

Mr.Nobody
2013.02.02, 18:13 PM
Sorry man, I just got home too. :( Do you have a spare spark plug wire you can test with? Is it just bogging down or is it actively misfiring?

I think I have a spark plug wire and maybe a extra spark plug too. It happens when you get on the gas from a stop or get on it while cruising and try to speed up. It struggles to go(chugs) and the cel starts to flash while it happens. If you let up on the gas and feather it for a couple seconds the cel stops and it goes fine. The tach stays normal and dosen't bounce around. I have tried to get it to do it while it's idleing and I rev it up with my hand, but it dosen't it do it.

Rabbit 16v
2013.02.02, 19:09 PM
One thought, perhaps the CAT is plugging? Although that would not be congruent with the cylinder 3 misfire... Maybe at least swap the plug and wire and see how it behaves.

Mr.Nobody
2013.02.02, 20:05 PM
The cat being clogged has crossed my mind too. I have a set of plug wires, but they are from my car. Will a plug wire from my car work on hers? They thing that is really driving me nuts about this is last saturday we drove all over the place running errands and it was running fine and it sat all day sunday. And on monday it starts this crap.

joel
2013.02.02, 21:41 PM
thanks for your time today Chris.. I look forward to taking care of this soon

Rabbit 16v
2013.02.03, 00:27 AM
No prob. Glad to help. nice to learn new things as well!

Rabbit 16v
2013.02.03, 00:31 AM
The cat being clogged has crossed my mind too. I have a set of plug wires, but they are from my car. Will a plug wire from my car work on hers? They thing that is really driving me nuts about this is last saturday we drove all over the place running errands and it was running fine and it sat all day sunday. And on monday it starts this crap.

No, it wont work due to the design of the head if you have oem style wires. the shroud around the plugs is larger on your car and as such will not fit in the recess on the ABA head. The plug also will not work for the same reason. I may be at the shop tomorrow and I can loan you some testers, but I am not certain I will be there. I will post up tomorrow if I am going to be there.

Mr.Nobody
2013.02.03, 13:10 PM
Thinking out loud, been thinking about what changed between it running good and it running shitty. We had the long stretch of cold dry weather and it switched to rain on last monday when the car started running bad. The rain caused the cracked coil I found to start acting up, causing the misfires. So even though I changed the coil the old one damaged one or more plugs or plug wires that is why it is still running bad. Sound logical? Just don't want to keep throwing money at the proplem.

Arsigi
2013.02.04, 10:28 AM
Here's something that is bugging me... a few months ago I was noticing significantly low engine temperatures. I have a 'Scan Gauge 2' mounted in the car and keep a water temp gauge showing, and it was consistently reading ~150 or so. The dash gauge would sometimes indicate the same, and other times indicate a 'normal' 190.

I figured it was probably a stuck thermostat, so I replaced it. Put in new coolant at that time as well, if it matters. Problem seemed to go away completely for... 8 weeks or so? But now it has come back.

Once or twice I have seen the reverse... the Scan Gauge reporting ~190 and the dash gauge reporting 150.

Any thoughts? I am due for a timing belt/water pump service... but I would think that if the water pump were failing, I would be seeing high temps, not low. I was thinking my next best bet would be the temperature sensor.

Rabbit 16v
2013.02.04, 10:38 AM
This is a very common symptom that points to a coolant temp sensor. You are correct that if the water pump was failing it would have high temps, not low. Do the CTS.

Arsigi
2013.02.04, 10:39 AM
Will do, thanks! :beer:

Rabbit 16v
2013.02.04, 10:40 AM
Thinking out loud, been thinking about what changed between it running good and it running shitty. We had the long stretch of cold dry weather and it switched to rain on last monday when the car started running bad. The rain caused the cracked coil I found to start acting up, causing the misfires. So even though I changed the coil the old one damaged one or more plugs or plug wires that is why it is still running bad. Sound logical? Just don't want to keep throwing money at the proplem.

I dont know if that would be the case. I would try a tester wire and plug first to verify since you dont have vag com.

Mr.Nobody
2013.02.04, 21:11 PM
It started running worse for her today so I went ahead and changed the cap,rotor,plugs and plug wires and it's running like a champ!:D Just wish I knew why they went bad after six months:mad:
Thanks for all the advice!:thumbup:

ScarredWithStars
2013.02.20, 16:07 PM
I'm confused. Is this the official page? Or do we break it up into individual threads? Did anyone ever get around to creating an official Fine Tuning thread? This place is more confusing than the last place I just logged into for the first time in 2 years and remembered why. I need a drink.

CHRIS!! I need your advice :)

Rabbit 16v
2013.02.20, 16:12 PM
What can I help you with?

ScarredWithStars
2013.02.20, 16:19 PM
97 Audi A8 Quattro - Where is the best place to buy a TCM and what is a decent price?

Rabbit 16v
2013.02.20, 16:26 PM
car-part.com you will find the best price there. make sure your raintray drains are all clear before you put a replacement TCM in. ;)

ScarredWithStars
2013.02.20, 16:38 PM
Any idea which part number I need (4.2L Quattro)? I'm getting a couple different ones on the interwebs.

4D0 927 156 BH ?
8D0 927 156 BQ ?

(Side note: If anyone cares, Sony is doing a live stream right now of their PS4 announcement.)

Rabbit 16v
2013.02.20, 16:50 PM
Can you talk to the TCU with vag com?

joel
2013.02.20, 21:43 PM
I'm confused. Is this the official page? Or do we break it up into individual threads? Did anyone ever get around to creating an official Fine Tuning thread? This place is more confusing than the last place I just logged into for the first time in 2 years and remembered why. I need a drink.

there aren't any rules other than what is in the rules thread. Personally, I'm not a fan of having this thread.. partly because it gives the (wrong) impression that we don't want individual threads, and partly because the site does need more threads ;)

Rabbit 16v
2013.02.20, 23:17 PM
I do agree. As I said before, there are others here that can help as well. Plus if this gets enough traffic, searching this one thread for a particular issue would be cumbersome. I am happy to help anyone with any questions. Maybe we should have a technical section? As in a general technical section?

joel
2013.02.20, 23:22 PM
We can do that. The basic idea of the forum, as it is right now, is to use the thread prefixes as a way to sort through threads like you would normally browse through subforums. And then, if the need arises (there are more threads), we can create a dedicated subforum. So, there's already a 'technical' thread prefix, but I'm open to making a new subforum for technical threads, mostly since the separation from threads that would go there and other threads is pretty obvious. So confusion would be less than with other possible subforums, and my concern of having an unused subforum is less of a concern as well, since it has such a specific purpose.

In other words.. sure, I can create one :D

joel
2013.02.21, 01:20 AM
ok.. I created a technical forum, moved this and all other technical threads to that forum, and now I'm locking this thread up. Please create new threads for each issue so we can easily track and help you with whatever question you have.

Tom... please do start a new thread if you have any follow up questions. Or if you want, PM me and I'll move your question and the responses out into a new thread. We definitely want to help you out.

thanks..