PDA

View Full Version : Another Mk1 question! Shift relay lever...

VDubVirus
2014.12.28, 13:40 PM
Having a heck of a time getting the shift linkage awaited away. I finally got it all aligned with ENRGZR's help, yesterday.

Last problem is the relay lever. I can only intermittently get into 2nd and 4th. The relay lever is hitting my exhaust manifold. The manifold is the dual pipe TT one, which came with the truck. The lever hit before the engine swap, but only after going all the way into gear. Now, it prevents it from going into these two gears.

My question is, is there something besides notching this part even more, that will help? We've tried aligning the engine, per online tips/Bentley manual, but it's not quite enough.

As you can see, it's already got a little bit of a notch to it, from the previous owner. I'm afraid anymore of a notch will risk melting the bushing. I've been told TT makes one with a notch already in it, but can't find it anywhere on the internets.

Here is the part in question.

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mqYUeWwk2YBrr7D31AZ4Hvg.jpg

Rabbit 16v
2014.12.28, 18:30 PM
TT does have one with a notch in it that comes with the downpipe when you buy it. It isnt always needed though. Is the car a 5 sp or 4sp?

VDubVirus
2014.12.28, 21:58 PM
Car is a five speed.

I temp-fixed the issue. I notched and bent the relay lever to account for the exhaust being in the way. Would like to have a less getto fix, though. At least all the gears are in the right place, now, and I have the knowledge to help someone else in the future. Which is nice.

Here is the notch I made to get around the exhaust bolt.

And this shows the OEM vs new angle I put in the relay lever to drop it below where the exhaust bolts to the manifold.

Rabbit 16v
2014.12.28, 22:14 PM
Hmm, something doesnt seem right. can you take a pic of the cage where the ball thing is that bolts to the bottom of that shaft?

VDubVirus
2014.12.28, 22:45 PM
I can tomorrow, what I can say is that the ball was replaced with a 5 speed refresh kit. It's the larger one, and fills up the cage pretty tight. Not much wiggle room at all. The one that came off was much smaller, and had a lot of play in it.

Rabbit 16v
2014.12.29, 19:59 PM
well no need for a pic then. that was the question I needed to know. Is the drivetrain shifted all the way to the DS?

VDubVirus
2014.12.30, 09:12 AM
Chris, I'm not 100% sure what you mean. The engine/trans is as far to either side as it can go. I was able to adjust the rotation a little bit, bringing the cylinders a little more vertical than before. I dont see how anything could be shifted to the drivers side, and that wouldn't do anything to change the shift linkage (from my point of view).

Can you break down your question a bit more? Give it to me Barney (the dinosaur) style.

VWsEatRice
2014.12.30, 10:20 AM
isn't that why some of them come w/the short shift lever? http://techtonicstuning.com/main/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_11_4_19&products_id=585

VDubVirus
2014.12.30, 10:26 AM
Yeah, they do. But my Caddy came with the exhaust already on it, but not the correct relay arm for the shift linkage.

VDubVirus
2014.12.30, 10:30 AM
Just called them. They sell just the notched short shifter for $60. Guess my ghetto fix will have to do until I have the dough.

Rabbit 16v
2014.12.30, 20:08 PM
Chris, I'm not 100% sure what you mean. The engine/trans is as far to either side as it can go. I was able to adjust the rotation a little bit, bringing the cylinders a little more vertical than before. I dont see how anything could be shifted to the drivers side, and that wouldn't do anything to change the shift linkage (from my point of view).

Can you break down your question a bit more? Give it to me Barney (the dinosaur) style.

so the bolt holes where the trans mount and engine mount attach to the car are slotted. if the mount under the diff and the snub mount at the starter were removed the two aforementioned mount bolts were loose, you should be able to slide the engine from one side of the compartment to the other about 14mm. so if its all shifted to the DS then the issue you are having might be related.

VDubVirus
2014.12.31, 17:42 PM
I really don't see the movement you are talking about. As far as I can remember, the bolt holes on the mounts are round, and threaded to receive the bolts. I'll snap a picture, tomorrow.

I've contacted TT, and they say the issue is entirely due to the double pipe manifold and exhaust.