PDA

View Full Version : H2Sport spindles

DowNnOutDubin
2010.09.09, 18:02 PM
Anyone have any experience with these spindles? I'm thinking about picking them up mostly to ease the stress of all the suspension/drive train components of being low. Also the added handling benefits would be nice :D Although these mk4 spindles are designed for a car that is lowered only 2''.

I just had to pay $740 for blowing out axles (6 speed :mad:), it could have paid for itself right there. I'm just not sure it can hold up to daily abuse and would be worth the money in the long run. Either way I could setup my car where it would be functional low and run a front sway bar, and ease the abuse on all the bushings.

http://www.h2sport.com/products.php?productid=817
http://www.h2sport.com/images/products/suspension/Spindle_2.jpg
I've gone lower since this pic.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4136/4911526093_81c9cffc62.jpg

Jazzydub
2010.09.09, 18:18 PM
I'm wondering the same thing. My axle is getting trashed.

DowNnOutDubin
2010.09.09, 18:25 PM
The only down side I've seen with these spindles is that it doesn't come with threaded holes for the brake dust shield.

joel
2010.09.09, 18:28 PM
added 'technical' prefix due to failure of OP :P

Rabbit 16v
2010.09.09, 18:29 PM
Link?

Rabbit 16v
2010.09.09, 18:29 PM
added 'technical' prefix due to failure of OP :P

Lol! you know what they say about OP right? (not this particular OP, just OP in general)

DowNnOutDubin
2010.09.09, 18:32 PM
Link?
http://www.h2sport.com/products.php?productid=817

Lol! you know what they say about OP right? (not this particular OP, just OP in general)

Whats that?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_KnfQgPpM2eg/So3Ea_MOinI/AAAAAAAAARY/hs_QJBEnXQU/s320/Awesome+Face.png

Rabbit 16v
2010.09.09, 19:12 PM
OP is always a fäggot. No offense. :beer: its just the internet ;)

Bart Taylor
2010.09.10, 11:06 AM
i dont get how this reduces stress on your axles....to do that wouldn't you have to lift your engine and change the angle of the joints
these just change the angle of the control arms, and since the sway goes over the axle and down to a link to the control arms wouldn't these make the sway rub sooner on the axle.....

with my 20th i just kept an eye on my boots, had to change the one side twice but never an axle....

DowNnOutDubin
2010.09.10, 14:06 PM
i dont get how this reduces stress on your axles....to do that wouldn't you have to lift your engine and change the angle of the joints
these just change the angle of the control arms, and since the sway goes over the axle and down to a link to the control arms wouldn't these make the sway rub sooner on the axle.....

I thought where the strut goes on the spindle is where most of the spacing is (the other being between the the hub area and where the ball joint connects). Keeping the trans-axles parallel with the control arm.

i ran my car with no front sway because of driveshaft clearance issues......would i be able to run the stock front sway with this kit and have no clearance issues??? in stock form i would be able to make a full u-turn on my street, but in lowered form it needs to be a 3-pt. turn......would these put me back to having be able to make a full u-turn again??? :) this is for a mk4 gti 1.8t

You should be able to re-install your front bar, but to be sure I would need to know how much the car has been lowered.<p>Regarding U-turns if the car is lowered such that the tires are rubbing on the fenders or inner bodywork, then the Sport Spindle won't help.

This is mainly why I wanted to make this thread to clear up some things. I got no advice worth listening to on vortex.

Bart Taylor
2010.09.10, 16:36 PM
basically all they do is lower the lower control arm mount from what i understand.....

DowNnOutDubin
2010.09.10, 16:44 PM
basically all they do is lower the lower control arm mount from what i understand.....

I've seen spindle / control arm spacers before.. I was hoping this was a more intelligent design. I contacted H2Sport directly, I'll post my results. :beer:

Bart Taylor
2010.09.10, 16:51 PM
"H2Sport solutionBecause a lowered Mk4's geometry is misaligned by the poorly angled control arms and steering tie rods, H2Sport has developed a solution. It uses different steering knuckles to replace the factory components. H2Sport's Sport Spindle relocates the control arms and steering tie rods back to their optimum positions, and restores the GTI's geometry by lowering the lower ball joint and tie rod mount by 2".

from ET

Rabbit 16v
2010.09.10, 19:09 PM
Ok here is what I get out of this, I have seen many high hp MKIVs come through the shop and they do not have axle problems per se. All of them have come through with suspension trajectory that is less that ideal for a well tuned car.

Its probably the mentality of 'low'. Dont get me wrong, low cars look badass. I have had and continue to have 'low' cars. However, there is a trade off for looks vs. low vs. handling. Balljoint spacers, tie rod flip kits, and the item that you posted are all great solutions to bump steer and improving the handling of a low car. Lowering a car obviously has the benefit of improving handling, fuel economy, and looks. If done properly, all 3 of those benefits can be had. Unfortunately, looks is what people usually end up with when lowering the crap out of their cars. This conversely takes its toll on the other two more important benefits of lowering a car.

The item posted looks like a nice piece, however, it will not make axles last longer. We have been sponsoring a rallye car for a few years and I know what destroys joints and axles. I can confidently state that a rallye car will see things that street cars will NEVER see. Suspension trajectory and travel play no part in the breaking of axles and joints to a certain extent. Operation of the vehicle is key to what breaks axles and joints. This is not to say you are a bad driver in any way, just some observation of what I have seen.

So, as this is a nice piece, I cannot conclusively agree that it will prevent the destruction of axles or joints. It WILL however, make the car handle better, less parts involved during servicing the vehicle, less strain on balljoint extensions due to thinner parts taking force that would normally be applied to a larger area. I hope that makes some sense.

I like the idea that someone took the time to make these and I will likely recommend them to some of my customers, but I wont tell them it will make their axles/joints not break.

My .02€

DowNnOutDubin
2010.09.10, 20:03 PM
I know where your getting at. From what I learned, it wont correct the angle of the trans-axles. The reason I thought my axles were going bad is both boots were torn, and I was in the process of moving and they started tearing up the road. I couldn't get to replacing them and started hearing them pop. Which now I think it's bad ball joints (which I'll be replacing soon).

I was hoping they designed them to correct the trans-axle to a stock like angle. Then I wouldn't have to worry about the boots going bad as quickly. Someone just needs to make a OEM like unit that does all this and sell them for the each marque and I'm sure they would sell nicely. :beer: