PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Nobodys clutch problem

Rabbit 16v
2010.11.06, 17:25 PM
since he wont do it, I will! :p

take a pic of the clutch release arm in the 'disengage' position. this will require a buddy.

Also, take a pic of the clutch release arm in the 'engage' position.

Lets see how long it takes him to see this ;)

Mr.Nobody
2010.11.06, 17:37 PM
8 minutes! I will have to do it in the morning. I don't think I will get the gf to go outside now and it's too dark in my carport to get a good shot! I did have her push the clutch in earlier today with me wacthing and looks to be raising and lowering to the normal positions. But I will still take the pics.

Also I have driven it around the neighborhood a couple of times just in first gear and the clutch pedal feels normal and reacts normal. And it felt good backing my slanted driveway too.

trip permit
2010.11.07, 07:21 AM
You have a self adjusting clutch cable or manual adjusting?

Mr.Nobody
2010.11.07, 07:27 AM
You have a self adjusting clutch cable or manual adjusting?

Manual adjusting.

Rabbit 16v
2010.11.07, 10:26 AM
pics?

Mr.Nobody
2010.11.07, 10:41 AM
Here you go just coming on to post them.

engaged
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/crassashell/tranny002.jpg

disengaged
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/crassashell/tranny003.jpg

Rabbit 16v
2010.11.07, 10:53 AM
Have you taken the green cap off the end fo the trans? If not, take it off and have a look at the release finger. Look VERY carefully for cracks. The finger can crack and cause it to slip on the splines of the clutch release arm and cause that problem. It appears from the pics that everything from the pedal to the release arm is good as the motion shown is correct.

Mr.Nobody
2010.11.07, 11:00 AM
Have you taken the green cap off the end fo the trans? If not, take it off and have a look at the release finger. Look VERY carefully for cracks. The finger can crack and cause it to slip on the splines of the clutch release arm and cause that problem. It appears from the pics that everything from the pedal to the release arm is good as the motion shown is correct.

No I have not. I was going to looked in the bently and it says you have to pierce it to take it off. Is there a way to get it off without destroying it? I will go out in a bit to do it.

Rabbit 16v
2010.11.07, 12:26 PM
well, if you are super careful, you can pry it off with a flat head screwdriver. just go evenly around the edge until it pops off. I do recommend replacing it though. either way, if it turns out to be the finger, you are still going to need to make a parts run, so you might want to plan on picking up a cap while you are at it. I mean no matter what, you are going to need parts...

the cap is cheap. I know of one place that will trade you one for a 6 pack of corona ;)

unimogken
2010.11.07, 12:45 PM
:thumbup: for helping out on the board!

Mr.Nobody
2010.11.07, 13:44 PM
:thumbup: for helping out on the board!
X2 :thumbup:

I managed to get the cap off without messing it up too bad. And I know I am going to need to replace it. I just want to be able move the car in case I have to anything to my gf's car and need the carport. Also not knowing how long it's going to be down I would like to be able to at least drive it around the block once a week.

I looked at it the best I could and did not see any cracks. So I had my gf come down and operate the clutch pedal so I could watch it. It looks like it is working right to me. So I grabbed are point and shoot and made a little video of it. Does it look right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4Aly-HHBf4

Rabbit 16v
2010.11.07, 14:35 PM
That looks normal to me. the next step is to take the trans out. does the clutch pedal feel normal?

i suspect a part of the release plate broke off and is now wedged in the fulcrum area of the pressure plate. pretty common.

Mr.Nobody
2010.11.07, 14:46 PM
That looks normal to me. the next step is to take the trans out. does the clutch pedal feel normal?

i suspect a part of the release plate broke off and is now wedged in the fulcrum area of the pressure plate. pretty common.

Yes it feels normal. It goes up and down smooth and the tension feels the same. And if I stick the car in gear and start it up and release the clutch to start moving it reacts normal and feels normal. And when coming to a stop it reacts and feels normal.

Rabbit 16v
2010.11.07, 15:38 PM
Yeah, sounds like its time to pull the tranny.

Mr.Nobody
2010.11.07, 17:57 PM
Yeah, sounds like its time to pull the tranny.

That's what I figured. Going to have to figure doing it out. Have all the hand tools I need except the one for the bolts that hold the axle to the drive flange. The big proplem I see is not having a good jack or a extra set of hands to help. I have a jack and jack stands but it is just one of those cheapy little $20 2 ton ones. I would love to get a nice one but have no where to keep it. And there is really no room for me to use it in my car port. On one side is a cement wall and the other is my neighbors car. I have just enough room to open my doors and get in and out my car.

I was reading the bentley last night on what you need to do to pull it. Because honestly I have never had to pull a tranny from any of my watercooled or air cooled vw's. Guess I have been really lucky until now. And I noticed that it's says you need to support the engine with a hoist or one of those spreader bar type ones that mount on the top of the fenders. Is there a way around that?

Rabbit 16v
2010.11.07, 18:33 PM
Yeah, you can just use the jack to hold it up from the oilpan. After you position your jackstands and firmly shake the shit out of the car to make sure its not going to fall on you (I like to put an extra wheel under the car just in case) then you can use the jack to support the engine. You shouldnt need another person to do the job as long as you have man arms and a man chest. Bench press that bitch out and bench press it back in. FWIW, a trans with no fluid in it weighs about 50 lbs. I have set them on my chest while I wiggle out from under the car.

curtnutss
2010.11.07, 19:33 PM
To bad I moved I would help out !

joel
2010.11.07, 19:50 PM
for the record, I do not have man-arms or a man-chest

Rabbit 16v
2010.11.07, 20:17 PM
In that case. I do not recommend doing the work for Mr. Nobody.. ;)

Mr.Nobody
2010.11.07, 20:51 PM
Yeah, you can just use the jack to hold it up from the oilpan. After you position your jackstands and firmly shake the shit out of the car to make sure its not going to fall on you (I like to put an extra wheel under the car just in case) then you can use the jack to support the engine. You shouldnt need another person to do the job as long as you have man arms and a man chest. Bench press that bitch out and bench press it back in. FWIW, a trans with no fluid in it weighs about 50 lbs. I have set them on my chest while I wiggle out from under the car.

I would like to think I have man arms and a man chest!:) I think my foreman said he has a good floor jack I can borrow on friday but I was out of it and not really paying attention. Also I have 4 jackstands and 4 stock rims with tires mounted so I think I am ok that way. I pulled out my big binder of receipts for the car to see how many miles everything had on it because I remembered the previous owner just had the clucth done before I bought it and there is just over 68,xxx miles. I will call some time this week for a parts qoute. I think I am going to change the fly wheel too they just had it resurfaced and do the main seal also.

To bad I moved I would help out !
You are telling me little brother!:( But noooooooooo you had to move to california so you can have 104 degree weather in November!:mad: Just playing, miss you little bro!

90mk2golf
2010.11.07, 21:00 PM
if you need a hand or a parts quote let me know i might be able to lend a hand after work some day.

Mr.Nobody
2010.11.07, 21:10 PM
if you need a hand or a parts quote let me know i might be able to lend a hand after work some day.

Thanks for the offer! :thumbup: I might take you up on it. You work at Action on Aurora right? I have seen your golf there a ton of times when I go there. Always thought about asking who's it was but always forget.

90mk2golf
2010.11.07, 21:14 PM
Yeah thats where i work come in after 11 mon-tus and thurs-sat

twardnw
2010.11.08, 08:25 AM
I wouldn't bother with a new flywheel if this one can still be turned again (and really, it should)