PDA

View Full Version : Severe misfiring.

Kaie
2011.02.13, 15:48 PM
OK... so i'll try to keep this informative but short.

I have almost always had misfiring issues in REALLY wet road conditions or after i go through and automatic car wash. I changed the plugs, wires, cap many times and it never fixed it so i just thought it was how my shit was going to be.

Then one day browsing around the internet i find that MkIIIs have/had an ignition coil problem. The symptoms sound exactly like my issues.

So i got new coil, Bosch plugs, Bosch wires, Bosch cap, and Bosch rotor. I installed them on Thursday. My car ran better than before.... which i expected.

Fast forward... about 140miles driving and until today [Sunday]. We hop in the car and head to Seattle for something to do. Everything with the car is fine. We park somewhere for about 10 minutes come out, the car is running super rough and even died once while reversing out of a parking spot. AND NOW any time i put my foot into the peddle to accelerate it misfires like its nobodies business. It hasn't rained.... i didn't drive through any deep puddles or probably no puddles at all...

Even when i did have the rainy freeway issue it never lasted this long or this bad. Also my fresh oil change wreaks of petrol. Which im sure is from the misfiring.

What else should i check? Unfortunately i don't have any tools with me. They are about 60 miles north at my brothers house where i do all my car work at.

I have looked for water/moisture in around the cap, plugs, coil. I pushed on all the wires to make sure they were seated.

The only thing i can think of is my o2 sensor is completely shot and im just running in open loop so my injectors are flooding out.

I do have a new o2 sensor i just didnt get time to install it.
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

EDIT! Cracked plug wire. Replacement from amazon coming!

Kaie
2011.02.13, 16:30 PM
i also forgot to mention i cleaned the TB with CRC TB cleaner and cleaned the MAF with CRC MAF cleaner.

Mr.Nobody
2011.02.13, 16:32 PM
Knowing what car,year and engine will make it easier for us to help you.

Kaie
2011.02.13, 16:34 PM
My bad. I copied my post i made on the 2.0 forum on the whoretex.

Its a 94 Jetta GL 2.0

Kaie
2011.02.13, 18:16 PM
BAM!

i went out since its dark to see if i could see any electrical shorting out. Sure enough BRAND NEW plug wire cracked right before the plug boot.

joel
2011.02.13, 20:50 PM
:thumbup:

Mr.Nobody
2011.02.13, 21:22 PM
:thumbup:

Rabbit 16v
2011.02.13, 22:04 PM
:thumbup: Bosch wires?

Kaie
2011.02.14, 08:24 AM
:thumbup: Bosch wires?

Yeah... made in Spain and all.. I don't get it. But, Amazon does replacement parts next day so i should have them tomorrow.

Also i rubbed some grease on the spot for now.. Just so its not misfiring or at least as much.

I wish Amazon would also pay for my oil change since this brand new oil is loaded with fuel now. =P

trip permit
2011.02.14, 12:47 PM
That's nice they do exchanges on user error. haha ;)

Kaie
2011.02.14, 13:02 PM
User error? Yeah i cut it.

trip permit
2011.02.14, 13:05 PM
Wouldn't be the first time I have heard of a person slicing the wire when installing.. Especially when using the metal plug wire tool.. Or long needle noses.

Get a sense of humor... I have noticed you lack one of the internets. :lol:

Kaie
2011.02.14, 13:07 PM
ok

trip permit
2011.02.14, 13:08 PM
:facepalm:

joel
2011.02.14, 18:06 PM
ok

correct response is "ok :D" ;)

Rabbit 16v
2011.02.14, 20:00 PM
Wow. Shit just got real...

so did you cut it? :p

Kaie
2011.02.15, 18:58 PM
Wow. Shit just got real...

so did you cut it? :p

Haha no.

I used my fingers to install them through the holes under the front of the intake manifold. It was a PITA but i got it eventually.