PDA

View Full Version : ABS help

rainierfuller
2011.03.21, 08:16 AM
So today coming home from work my car (97 GTI) started making a wicked awful noise coming from my front passenger side wheel, it sounded like a grind-squeak chirp. So, I took it to les schwab for an inspection and the guy said that it was the abs toner ring, pointed to a broken teethed thing and told me to leave. I'm not too versed on all the parts of my car just yet, but after a little googling I have couple of questions.

1. The ABS toner ring only goes on the rear correct?

2. Could he mean the abs impulse rotor? If so, does that mean that I have to replace the entire rotor?

Thanks for the help in advance. :thumbup:

Rabbit 16v
2011.03.21, 08:28 AM
If indeed it is the ABS wheel on the front, it is screwed to the backside of the wheel hub. This will entail replacing the wheel bearing as the ring cannot be replaced with the hub installed. Strange that you would have a failure like that. Perhaps you have a wheel bearing that is so loose that the ABS ring has rubbed on something? You may also want to plan for the possibility of replacing the abs sender also as it may have gotten damaged. The ABS sender can be replace without disassembly of the wheel bearing. HTH

unimogken
2011.03.21, 09:04 AM
So, I took it to les schwab for an inspection and the guy said that it was the abs toner ring, pointed to a broken teethed thing and told me to leave.
Nice customer service.... *shakes head*

rainierfuller
2011.03.21, 09:20 AM
Thanks, it was definitely screwed into the backside of the hub. So there is an abs ring on the front? I was looking online and I can't find a front abs ring for sale, do I have to buy a whole new hub? Also, how safe/not safe is it to drive around with it broken?

twardnw
2011.03.21, 09:24 AM
You could pull the fuse on the ABS, and as long as chunks of the ring aren't flopping around, it'd be ok to drive (assuming you don't need ABS :p )

Rabbit 16v
2011.03.21, 09:35 AM
You could pull the fuse on the ABS, and as long as chunks of the ring aren't flopping around, it'd be ok to drive (assuming you don't need ABS :p )

This.

ETKA says you cannot buy the ring separate. You will need a whole hub.

rainierfuller
2011.03.21, 09:40 AM
Ok cool. Thanks a bunch guys!

twardnw
2011.03.21, 09:46 AM
First thing I did in the Mitsu Lance I had was pull the ABS fuse :D