PDA

View Full Version : Front end shake.

doppelfaust
2011.05.27, 07:36 AM
So my Fox has had a slight shake at speed and while braking from high speed (freeway speeds) and recently I spaced the front and rear wheels out and it seemed to amplify the issue.

Both axles are new, wheel bearings are new, tie-rods are new... My car is obviously not at stock ride height, could I be destroying front axles that quickly? I'm tempted to invest in some better axles, I have NAPA axles in there right now (lifetime warranty and CV boots go pretty quickly on them). I can buy brand new EMPI axles, they seem to have much better CVs. The CVs are machined instead of cast and the boots are higher quality...

I guess my question is this. What would shaking at speed and shaking from braking at speed be caused by?:rootbeer:

twardnw
2011.05.27, 07:40 AM
If it got worse after the spacers, I would have the balance on the wheels re-checked.

doppelfaust
2011.05.27, 07:45 AM
If it got worse after the spacers, I would have the balance on the wheels re-checked.

Okay, pretty weird considering they are new tires with a recent balancing.

I'll swap the fronts and rears this weekend to see if the problem changes/moves.

twardnw
2011.05.27, 07:48 AM
I've had weights fall off before, strange things *do* happen sometimes :p

Rabbit 16v
2011.05.27, 08:01 AM
does the shaking when braking go away if you let off the brake pedal?

also, any non OEM cv joint can be junk. I have even seen Empi joints explode on a completely stock car in 150 miles. I have never seen an OEM joint fail quickly..

doppelfaust
2011.05.27, 08:06 AM
It seems to go away, rotors?

Rabbit 16v
2011.05.27, 08:10 AM
yes. however, that would not explain the other shaking when not braking. Possible that the rotor set screw is not in all the way causing the wheel not to be mounted flat against the hub? Maybe take a look at the stuff that keeps the wheel flat on the hub. spacer problem? does it do this if you take the spacers off?

doppelfaust
2011.05.27, 08:18 AM
I believe I am missing a rotor set screw on one side. There was a slight shake without spacers, originally I had an 8mm spacer that wasn't hubcentric, the 15mm spacer I have on now was not as bad as the 8mm.

Wheel balancing and rotors?:)

Rabbit 16v
2011.05.27, 08:29 AM
Yeah, I would tend to think so. Also, I have seen tires that are new but are not round. apparently there is something called 'road force testing' that can be done to determine if the tires are round.

unimogken
2011.05.27, 13:25 PM
Dang I was hoping for some "front end shake" type of .gif or something.

Leaving thread disappointed........hehe

doppelfaust
2011.05.27, 15:03 PM
Dang I was hoping for some "front end shake" type of .gif or something.

Leaving thread disappointed........hehe

Look for the future installment, "rear end shake"... I think that will be more along the lines of what you're looking for.:D

unimogken
2011.05.27, 15:20 PM
Yeah i'm more of a front end / top end shake kinda guy!

Twelvizm
2011.05.27, 18:48 PM
This thread needs some shaking.

http://www.shoelace.org/pics/2010/05-05-2010/1494-sexy-girl-bootie-shake.gif

I would lean towards bushings. Now that you've pushed your wheels out further, it would multiply any play you would have had before.