PDA

View Full Version : Can this be fixed? (transmission)

doppelfaust
2011.07.09, 14:39 PM
So, swapping a new motor into Selena's 1992 8v Jetta... I was on the home stretch, new motor was in the car and I was just putting in all the attachment bolts. The two bolts that go through the starter snugged up as they should, the two bolts on the top of the transmission tightened correctly but on the backside I found this...

http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww355/doppelfaust/transmission.jpg

What you're looking at is a sleeve that looks like it should be inserted into the tranny. It appears it pulled out so the transmission and engine can not mate correctly...

Should I pull the transmission and attempt to pound this sleeve back in to the transmission or what?

HALP! We're moving at the end of the month so I am up against a deadline and I need this car moving on its own.

Rabbit 16v
2011.07.09, 15:37 PM
Should I pull the transmission and attempt to pound this sleeve back in to the transmission or what?

Yes. Also make sure the other dowel is there on the lower starter bolt hole. No biggie.

doppelfaust
2011.07.10, 09:02 AM
Lawls, worried for nothing. Pulled the bolts holding the tranny to the motor... it looks like the dowel from the old motor was still in the tranny. Got a big enough space to get pliers in, pulled the old dowel and we're gravy now.

Rabbit 16v
2011.07.10, 15:32 PM
Good thing I have never done that.. Lol! /sarcasm