PDA

View Full Version : Chris, you were right ;) 1.5 diesel question.

Iroczgirl
2012.04.01, 17:52 PM
Ok, so the diesel bunny decided it didn't like it's head gasket anymore.

Problem seems to be on cylinder #3, losing compression.
Luckily the breach seems to be with an oil gallery, I'm losing just a tiny bit of oil.
No coolant is being lost *phew*

My question would be, since this is my daily driver, how much harm am I going to do if I keep driving it like this for a month or so, I'm absolutely broke at the moment. :(
Would "worst case scenario" just be that the head gasket will fail altogether or am I going to do damage to the head if I keep driving it like this. (time for a 1.6 swap?)

Any input is appreciated. And yes, I usually over-think things.

Rabbit 16v
2012.04.01, 22:30 PM
a 1.6l swap is always a good idea. those 1.5l heads crack all the time.. well at least they used to ;) If you plan on ditching the motor in its entirety, then by all means drive it until it quits. it may leave you in a stranded situation though. dont ask me how i know. the best plan is to save for a 1.6l or better engine and abandon any idea of saving the 1.5l. sorry to be the harbinger of doom. 1.5ls suck ;)

Iroczgirl
2012.04.02, 21:03 PM
Looks like they still do! I'm just glad I'm not getting coolant in my oil. But that poor 1.5 sure has to work it's heart out to get to 55mph!
Well, maybe if I keep it local, or drive the Scirocco for a while I can save money for a 1.9TD, that would wake that little bunny right up. ;)

Rabbit 16v
2012.04.02, 21:05 PM
It sure would! 1.9l is kinda spendy if you get it from that dude in cali. Ask orchid euro if you have the money, he is packing a container right now from the UK. Or better yet, MTDI :P

Iroczgirl
2012.04.04, 18:51 PM
Yeah, no money sadly. But I did figure out that for about $100 in parts and some of my spare time I can change the head gasket. So I don't feel I have anything to lose there.

Now how do I figure out what thickness head gasket to use?

unimogken
2012.04.04, 19:06 PM
orchid euro . . . . .is packing a container right now from the UK.
Dang he said he hit the deadline!

Rabbit 16v
2012.04.04, 19:58 PM
Yeah, no money sadly. But I did figure out that for about $100 in parts and some of my spare time I can change the head gasket. So I don't feel I have anything to lose there.

Now how do I figure out what thickness head gasket to use?

You need to measure the piston protrusion from the deck surface at TDC. There is a graph in the manual that tells you what gasket to use according to the protrusion. I would STRONGLY suggest you get the head pressure tested and carefully look for cracking. Up to 3mm between valve seats is ok for cracking, but any other cracking is not to be tolerated and will require a head replacement.

Dang he said he hit the deadline!

What? I havent talked to him in about a week and half. Damn! Still trying to source a tdi swap for the A4... not very cheap at all :( and the wife is on vacation and the clutch is getting worse. I will be right pissed if I have to put a clutch on a motor I intend to replace..

unimogken
2012.04.04, 20:23 PM
Well today April 4th is the deadline but you might give him a ring.

We should organize a container!
She could get her diesel delivered locally!

Rabbit 16v
2012.04.04, 20:54 PM
Damn, I thought it was next week. Either way, still no product found for affordable pricing. Yes, we need to get a container setup going on.. sorry, back to your regular scheduled programming here...

Iroczgirl
2012.04.05, 19:54 PM
Damn, I thought it was next week. Either way, still no product found for affordable pricing. Yes, we need to get a container setup going on.. sorry, back to your regular scheduled programming here...

It's all good, thank you for the info. ;)

Rabbit 16v
2012.04.06, 19:18 PM
No prob :beer: