Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Project German Muscle

was good meeting you on Saturday.. looking forward to seeing this thing on the road
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

Regular Member alxdgr8 will become famous soon enough
    Traded my 17" BBS RC's for some 18x8 USP (B5 RS4-ish) wheels so I can go with larger rotors for the cayenne calipers.

Should look like this as the car previously had 4x108 RS4 replica wheels on it:

Also got my Taurus fan and shroud to see if I can make it fit. If it doesn't fit on the Audi I'll use it on the Porsche since they both will have the same radiator.

Last edited by alxdgr8; 2012.06.19 at 20:41 PM.
    -Alex @vexartmedia-
    '03 Audi S8 (Avus/Oxblood - DD)
    '92 Porsche 968 (VW 07k 2.5T swap in the works) --- '86 Audi Coupe GT (2.3L 20v swap) ---'83 Audi UrQuattro (2.2L 20vt swap in progress)

I like those wheels better
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

It's alive! That's all for now
    -Alex @vexartmedia-
    '92 Porsche 968 (VW 07k 2.5T swap in the works) --- '86 Audi Coupe GT (2.3L 20v swap) ---'83 Audi UrQuattro (2.2L 20vt swap in progress)

finally get things fixed?

Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    finally get things fixed?
    For the most part. Got a new PS pump coming in tomorrow, so that will fix that problem. Other than that, it should just be a matter of working on tuning!
    -Alex @vexartmedia-

would be fun to see this car running

Making progress, hopefully I'll be driving it to Vegas on Thursday. Worst case is I drive my truck there (I need a vacation).

-Alex @vexartmedia-

Junior Member JediJoker is on a distinguished road JediJoker's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by Twelvizm View Post
    This car needs a video of it doing a 4 wheel, center axis, cookie, burnout!
    Interestingly enough, the one time I tried to drift my A6, I ended up doing this. It's the strangest feeling, to have the world spinning around you while you stay put.
    Cheers! :-)
    - JediJoker
    "Das Boot" / 2001 Audi A6 2.7T quattro sedan:
    RS4 clutch kit / 710N diverter valves / Bilstein PSS9s / Hotchkis Sport ARBs / 034 suspension goodies / O.Z. Superturismo LMs / E-code headlights / LED tails

tomorrow is Thursday.. I presume it's going to Vegas?

Yep, it's packed with every spare tool and part I can think of! Pretty confident in it, but we'll see!
    -Alex @vexartmedia-

awesome.. have fun!

Fingers crossed for you. Take pictures or the car gods will smite thee!
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Well I made it to Vegas and then made it home. Problem is that I had to fly home!

Car was doing great for the first 650 miles out of 750 I planed for the first day. During the last 100 miles it started to develop a misfire under 3k rpm or under heavy load about 3k rpm. The next morning the car was still acting up, so I made a 90 mile roundtrip detour to the nearest auto parts store that had a fuel filter. Swapped it in the parking lot (PITA, had to drop half the tank to reach the clip that holds the filter on) and it didn't do anything. Bought a new FPR and swapped it...nothing. Took the cat off and hollowed it (into my trunk) and once again, nothing. Car was still doing fine on the highway above 3k rpm so I decided to go ahead and drive the remaining 7 hours to Vegas knowing that if anyone could figure it out it was the guys in Vegas. Made it to Vegas Friday night and started troubleshooting a few things. We decided it was probably an ignition coil that was causing the misfire. The next day I found someone on craigslist that had a set of 4 AEB coils for sale so I bought them and swapped them between both banks. Nothing changed. Next up was a fuel pump and yet again, nothing. The problem seemed to be getting worse too. Then, after cranking the engine a few times someone noticed a hissing sound coming from the dipstick. Pulled up a bit on the dipstick and it nearly shot across the parking lot as air rushed out. The crankcase was being pressurized, presumably by a bad headgasket around an oil passage. No fluids were mixing. Pulled a valve cover and found a stripped head bolt which was probably stripped by the previous owner when he did the head gaskets and timing belt about 2k miles before. Thus over time a leak was able to develop into the oil passage and get worse and worse which by the end of Sunday made the car inoperable.

Sooooo....I caught a flight home Monday morning and a friend was nice enough for me to stow my car at his shop for the next few weeks until I can drive down in my truck and trailer it back.

When it gets back it will sit for a while as I work on the Porsche, but eventually the engine will have to come out so I can fix the stripped bolt in the aluminum block. I'll probably do a laundry list of other things while it's apart.

Other than that, the trip was amazing! Got to ride in a 600whp UrQ and a 550whp 80Q which were both INSANE! I'm seriously considering a 20V I5 swap into the Porsche now much sooner than I was originally planning.

Pics of the trip coming soon!
    -Alex @vexartmedia-

that's crazy.. one of my fears from road trips is something like this happening. At least you had guys who could help you troubleshoot the issue

Normal Member dub boy will become famous soon enough dub boy's Avatar
    13 days and no pictures? Dissapoint.

Oops, kinda forgot! I'm actually driving back down on Friday morning to go pick the car up with my truck and trailer. Going to be a long weekend! 3 days and 36 hours of driving.

Picutres!

The Road to Battle Born:

Friday Night:

Cars and Coffee:

Audi Henderson:
    TT-RS

S6

Cruisin':

Twins

-Alex @vexartmedia-

Some pics that another guy took:

600whp+ 2.6L stroker 20V I5 UrQ

2.2L 20V I5 UrQ

~550whp 2.2L 20V I5 80Q

'55 Gullwing at Cars 'n' Coffee (owner said he's turned down offers of $800k!)

And a picture of my car getting towed down the street by the 600whp UrQ
    -Alex @vexartmedia-

those are some nice scenery shots.. I can't wait to see something at all similar soon

After another very long drive from Seattle to Las Vegas, my Audi is safely back home ready to get torn apart and fixed.
    The scenery was great, so here's a few photos for your enjoyment!

The tow rig:

Sunrise in North Bend:

I think this guy fell asleep:

Oregon State Police don't mess around:

Sunset in the high dessert of Nevada:

-Alex @vexartmedia-

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    those last 2 pics are awesome!

Glad the car is back home
    -Tyler-

Quote: Originally Posted by twardnw View Post
    those last 2 pics are awesome!
    definitely!

Got a new engine to go in. The old one needed to come out anyways to fix the stripped head stud. This will take a bit of work to make it fit, you have to notch the frame rails a bit and make new engine mounts.

D2 Audi S8 40V 4.2L V8 (360hp and 7k rpm redline)

And for way down the road once I get some RS6 pistons (can't run much with the current 11:1 compression) I have a Holset HX52 that will sit on the shelf.

-Alex @vexartmedia-

still really impressed. Hurry up

+ Reply to Thread