monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Leavenworth Cruise .. the PNWfahren way. June 16th

Leavenworth Cruise .. the PNWfahren way. June 16th

updated with finalized information and new pre-BCC meet information on June 4th

the Leavenworth Cruise is possibly the largest European car cruise in the continent. It reached about 1000 cars last year. It's well known and well covered... a great way to see cars and people, and to enjoy a good drive, Leavenworth, good food and drink, and good friends. It's also a great way to see lame, or even dangerous, driving.

The event is one of my favorites. I love the Leavenworth area, and I really think that the pre-drive gathering at Bellevue Community College (BCC) has become one of the great European car gatherings in the country. You see cars and people at BCC that you won't see anywhere else in the year. But the problem with this many people coming together and driving over a mostly 2 lane mountain pass is that all it takes is one idiot to ruin the event for everyone.

Part of the problem with large events like this is that it's very difficult to connect with people you enjoy being around, and it's also really easy to feel completely alone. There may be several hundred car enthusiasts on the same road as you, but only a few cars are usually seen at a time.. often not anyone you know. Once you're in Leavenworth, with people spreading out into parking locations, shops, and restaurants, it's quite difficult just to find a place to spend the afternoon where you know anyone at all.

I have realized that one of the best, and maybe one of the only, ways to fix the negatives of a large drive like Leavenworth is to replace the drive itself. I love the BCC event.. I wish it would become more of a show 'n shine type of event, with people leaving at the end of the 'show' to drive to Leavenworth for good times. I also prefer Stevens Pass (Hwy 2) over Snoqualmie Pass (I-90). These things shouldn't change any time soon. However, a small cruise is always more fun and personable than a larger cruise.

Announcing the Leavenworth Cruise.. PNWfahren style.

What has made PNWfahren great is the people. The few times we've had GTG's everyone has been awesome. Let's keep that going.

what: annual Leavenworth Cruise.. cruising in our own group and hanging out in town afterward
    when: June 16th (Saturday), meet 9:00 - 10:30am. Leavenworth drive starts around 10:30 - 10:45. We'll leave later to avoid the mess.
    where: Bellevue Community College, driving to Leavenworth, WA
    Leavenworth Cruise information: the event coordinators require a "$10 donation" to park at BCC, which goes to charity. http://leavenworthdrive.com/

PNWfahren:

optional pre-meet: We'll meet at the below location at 8:30 and leave at 9am for BCC. This will allow most of us to park near each other at BCC.

meeting location:
    both for the pre-meet, and after BCC: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=47.631...num=1&t=h&z=18

pre-meet: meet at 8:30am, leave at 9am for BCC
    after BCC: meet after BCC and leave for the drive at 11:30am

I know it's a busy shopping center, but it's straight up the road on 148th, and has all right turns to get into westbound 520, with only one light. There's a Starbucks, Rite-Aid, and Safeway in the parking lot as well, and a 76 station is across the street. This also means that we'd be turning left out of BCC rather than right like the other 1000 cars. Leaving at 11:30am will give people plenty of time to get to the meeting location, fuel up, and buy any snacks for the trip. We should be able to avoid most of the traffic to Leavenworth and keep our group together along the way. If we left at 11:30 we would arrive in Leavenworth around 2pm

Stevens Pass stop:
    We can stop at Stevens Pass if people like. I'm sure some people may need to use the bathroom. If we agree that a Stevens Pass is top then we'll want to make sure we agree on a time to leave so that we can all cruise back down the pass together. We'll discuss this at the shopping center after BCC.

the route:
    From the shopping center meeting location we'll head west on WA-520, north on I-405, east on WA-522, east on US-2.. then:
    There are two great roads that bypass parts of the main highway.. we can take them as a detour to avoid some traffic, and simply to enjoy more roads. The first is Ben Howard Road between Monroe and Sultan, and the second is Chumstick Hwy between WA-207 and Leavenworth, via Plain. Both of these roads avoid some of the more heavy traffic areas on the drive. The total drive takes around 2.5 hours with some traffic.

I will be happy to create a handout with a map, contact info, etc. The idea is to not leave people behind.. stay together as a group.

in Leavenworth:
    parking is all on your own. There's simply no way to allow us all to park together once in town. A lot of people also need to check into a hotel when they arrive. You're all very free to head off and do your own thing, but we'll also make a plan to meet as a group (I vote München Haus ) a little later in the afternoon (maybe 3pm?) so everyone can reconnect and hang out. We will discuss this after BCC at the shopping center meting location.

The overriding goal with this is to get like-minded people together, like always with PNWfahren. Speeding will be minimal.. no crazy driving. We're doing this to avoid the unwelcome antics. We want people to feel included and welcome to hang out with others, or to head off and do their own thing. Please post up your thoughts.

and.. please feel free to spread to word to friends who you think would be a good fit for the group. They must understand, and be ok with, the goals of this event.
    Last edited by joel; 2012.06.04 at 12:04 PM.
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

Regular Member ENRGZR will become famous soon enough
    Wish I could make it down this year.

Normal Member machetephil will become famous soon enough
    Wish I could make it this year but its the day after graduation and my daughter will be here from Arizona.

Euro-Elitist Moderator VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus's Avatar
    110% in for this, Joel. This is probably the best idea for a cruise I have seen in a couple years. I hope more PNWfahren people jump on board with this.

anything I can do to help this...let me know.
    SOME PEOPLE ARE NARROW MINDED, OTHERS LIVE IN REALITY ~ EURO-ELITISM

l Arron lSPACE

everyone probably knows me by now Jazzydub has a spectacular aura about Jazzydub has a spectacular aura about Jazzydub's Avatar
    Possibly in for this. Have to talk to the girlfriend. I'll have my daughter with me and she gets pretty bored sitting in the car for long periods of time. Another option for a fun back road to avoid the main highway is Elliot Rd > Highbridge Rd > Ben Howard. We use to go out there on our crotch rockets. Fun road. Usually low traffic. You would get off 522 at Echo lake road and head north about 5 minutes then it goes out toward Ben Howard.

Normal Member NWarty will become famous soon enough NWarty's Avatar
    I'm in Yakima for two weeks during this. Missing this one
    - Blake
    Northwest Artillery
    I blow up stuff from a long ways away

This is the first sacrifice I'll have to make for my daughter. Her due date is July 22nd, so it goes without saying that I'm not going anywhere. I do love this cruise though, it's the very only event that I set in stone on my calendar.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Regular Member alxdgr8 will become famous soon enough
    Will try and make this, but will probably do what I did last year and skip on the actual drive to Leavenworth.
    -Alex @vexartmedia-
    '03 Audi S8 (Avus/Oxblood - DD)
    '92 Porsche 968 (VW 07k 2.5T swap in the works) --- '86 Audi Coupe GT (2.3L 20v swap) ---'83 Audi UrQuattro (2.2L 20vt swap in progress)

Much more likely for wife and I to go with this forum. I honestly can say I don't worry about most of the people here acting like morons, unlike that other site. I can't even go to that forum without getting angry at people. Everyone here is literate, polite (for the most part), and sensible.
    bitches catchin feelings like will i am

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by burbleburble View Post
    polite (for the most part)
    ass hole.

Quote: Originally Posted by Jazzydub View Post
    Another option for a fun back road to avoid the main highway is Elliot Rd > Highbridge Rd > Ben Howard.
    I know the roads... very good. I'm just a little concerned about the drive itself taking too long. I know that Ben Howard and Chumstick don't add too much to the drive, especially if there's a lot of traffic.

Also... this is a good point. Please do bring your families, SO's, etc. if you like. This event is the one time where you almost always see tons of girl friends, wives, and kids.. and we're definitely family friendly
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

Quote: Originally Posted by alxdgr8 View Post
    Will try and make this, but will probably do what I did last year and skip on the actual drive to Leavenworth.
    well.. I'll encourage you to come along on the drive.

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    I may come up for this, wouldn't spend the night though, Jen is likely going to have a bike race that day
    -Tyler-

Euro-Elitist Moderator VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus's Avatar
    couch is open, good sir.

l Arron lSPACE

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    in Lacey or Leavenworth?
    -Tyler-

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    I like the idea of Ben Howard and Chumstick alternate roads. I always take the Chumstick over the rest of HWY 2.

Quote: Originally Posted by twardnw View Post
    in Lacey or Leavenworth?
    totally read your post wrong. I thought you said you would need to stay overnight (I was thinking the night before). disregard my reading comprehension, today. I'm studying for a Judicial Process final, and have a mushy brain.

l Arron lSPACE

(⌐■_■)
    Quote: Originally Posted by VDubVirus View Post
    totally read your post wrong. I thought you said you would need to stay overnight (I was thinking the night before). disregard my reading comprehension, today. I'm studying for a Judicial Process final, and have a mushy brain.
    well, if it's available the night before, I probably wouldn't turn it down
    -Tyler-

it is.

l Arron lSPACE

I'm not sure if I'm staying the night either. I may head home early in the evening... the only reason I wouldn't is if I felt I was too tired to drive home.

Quote: Originally Posted by burbleburble View Post
    Much more likely for wife and I to go with this forum. I honestly can say I don't worry about most of the people here acting like morons, unlike that other site. I can't even go to that forum without getting angry at people. Everyone here is literate, polite (for the most part), and sensible.
    awesome.. would be good to see you

Quote: Originally Posted by Rabbit 16v View Post
    I like the idea of Ben Howard and Chumstick alternate roads. I always take the Chumstick over the rest of HWY 2.

bring donations for Mat (girdwood) and the guys he's with in Afghanistan to the meetup spot.. we'll gather them together and ship them over for him. I've asked him to post up what he could use and what we could send.

Normal Member ExplosiveToaster will become famous soon enough ExplosiveToaster's Avatar
    Gaaah, wish I could make it this year. This cruise sounds like fun.
    - Mike | My Photos | '16 VW Golf R | '87 Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.3-16

bump
    do the details sound good? I figure I'll post this on facebook soon

(⌐■_■)
    I guess I'll be there, Arron, is it ok if Joe crashes at your place the night before too? Not exactly sure where we'll stay in LW yet though...
    -Tyler-

+ Reply to Thread