Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Alex's '92 Porsche 968 - 944 Turbo Transplant Project

Regular Member alxdgr8 will become famous soon enough

Alex's '92 Porsche 968 - 07K 2.5 I5 Transplant

Drove 1700 miles round trip from Seattle to San Francisco this past weekend to pick up a '92 968 in Grand Prix white. Built a custom dolly to load the shell onto and we ran into a few snags so it took a while to get it loaded but it worked much to our surprise!

Car originally a tiptronic and was parted due to the hood flying up and hitting the windshield. Car is basically a bare shell with some interior and doors/glass. The plan is to swap the entire drivetrain/suspension from my '87 951 over to it. Still deciding what I want to do with the interior, I might just strip it and make the car more track oriented. I will obviously need fenders/hood/front bumper and depending on whether or not I can find OEM for a good price I might go fiberglass with those.

So, the parts I will be swapping over are:
    -Stock 2.5L 8V engine
    -Widefire head gasket
    -Upgrade valve springs
    -Bored TB
    -Custom FMIC
    -SFR 2.5" IC pipes
    -Aluminum Griffin radiator
    -Greddy Type S BOV
    -Garrett T04E 60 trim/KKK #8 stage 3 turbo
    -3" SS test pipe and catback
    -JGS 40mm wastegate with SS adapter plates
    -CEP semi-solid engine mounts
    -Wolf 3D V4+ standalone EMS with J&S SafeGuard
    -1000cc RC Injectors with 3bar FPR
    -SS LR fuel lines
    -SS brake lines
    -Bosch 044 fuel pump
    -S2 AOT LSD transmission

Probably a few other mods I'm forgetting. Also plan on doing some upgrades to the suspension and clutch while I'm at it.

Now for some pictures of the adventure!

Tow rig and Mt. Shasta in the background:

Golden Gate Bridge:

Driving up the steep hills in a manual truck was fun (thankfully no trailer):

Loaded and ready for the long drive home:

Wish we had stayed in northern CA for the eclipse, but I did manage to get a snapshot just south of Portland that turned out well:

The winding road in wine country that my GPS took us through at about 2AM. Not much fun in a truck and trailer:

A lot of work to be done:

Under the cover while I spend the next few months tearing apart the 951:

What's going in:
    Last edited by alxdgr8; 2015.07.19 at 20:47 PM.
    -Alex @vexartmedia-
    '03 Audi S8 (Avus/Oxblood - DD)
    '92 Porsche 968 (VW 07k 2.5T swap in the works) --- '86 Audi Coupe GT (2.3L 20v swap) ---'83 Audi UrQuattro (2.2L 20vt swap in progress)

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    I love 968's and hope to have one someday!

I can't wait to see the build and what you come up with!
    Please don't make it too cool so that people buy them all up! Hehe

Quote: Originally Posted by unimogken View Post
    Please don't make it too cool so that people buy them all up! Hehe
    hahaha
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

Couple new parts, Tarrett Engineering sway bars (SUPER adjustable) and TurboS/M030 calipers. Not sure if I'll actually use the calipers on the car, but I'll be using the fronts for bracket/adapter designs and mockups for this and another project. Already have another spare set of rears too so they'll probably just get blasted and powdercoated to clean them up.

-Alex @vexartmedia-
    '92 Porsche 968 (VW 07k 2.5T swap in the works) --- '86 Audi Coupe GT (2.3L 20v swap) ---'83 Audi UrQuattro (2.2L 20vt swap in progress)

Drivetrain and suspension are dropped. Now to separate it and start stripping the interior.

-Alex @vexartmedia-

can't believe you have two big projects going
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    can't believe you have two big projects going
    I know, I don't make the wisest decisions! But when one pisses me off I can go work on the other
    -Alex @vexartmedia-

What's left of the 951:

968 is finally in the garage, a long road ahead:
    -Alex @vexartmedia-

White/Red clubsport theme has been my plan from the get-go, but since I'll be painting in the interior after stripping and painting new body parts it wouldn't be much more work to change colors. Want to stick with factory options for the 968 though. Here's some ideas I've been thinking of.

White/Red CS

Signal Green

Maritime? Blue or Speed Yellow (wouldn't do the matching wheels though)

Always had a soft sport for Orange too, painted my 931 orange. This is a blood orange version of the Turbo RS (1 of 14 factory built ones).
    -Alex @vexartmedia-

A Somebody Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody's Avatar
    My votes for blue.

Regular Member Helios is on a distinguished road Helios's Avatar
    I've got a soft spot for Porsche's "bastard" children, as the 911 purists like to call them. I'll be keeping an eye on this one. I'm assuming there was some mangled bodywork on the 951 which led to converting into a pile of scrap metal?

The Maritime Blue would be pretty slick as it's color we never got here. And the Blood Orange is a nice nod to the T RS.

Love it. Good luck with the build.
    -Chris S.

"If they ain't a little too wide, they ain't wide enough!"
    '76 Mk1 / '86 Rocco / '87 XR4Ti / '93.5 SLC / '94 SVT / '95 RS / '03 GC Limited

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by Mr.Nobody View Post
    My votes for blue.
    One more vote for blue.

I like all of them

So, I've decided that I will be making yet another trip to California (only to Redding this time) to pickup a new 968 shell. One came up for sale for a good price that actually has a title and has all body parts. This first one that I bought was supposed to have a title, but the PO couldn't find it prior to me picking it up. He swore he had it and would mail it to me. Then he basically stopped returning my calls or emails so I still don't have a title. I would have to have the car inspected and then get a bonded title for 3 years which is a major PITA! So I've got to mark it as a bad investment and hopefully I can salvage a few bucks from it. The new shell is much cheaper than even trying to buy all the front end parts I am missing so even after pickup costs I will still be in much better shape and actually have a title for the car. Might be able to get the car on the road sooner too which is always a plus since I won't be tracking down hard to find body parts!
    -Alex @vexartmedia-

some people

hope the new shell turns out as good as it sounds..

Round 1 of degreasing!

-Alex @vexartmedia-

Alright, let's try this again! Got a much better platform to start with as it has all the body parts and a title!

-Alex @vexartmedia-

Having a title helps

Stripping the interior, as many know, is a major PITA! Very strong adhesive remover and a $15 harbor freight oscillating tool have helped tremendously. Still have many more hours to spend but I'm making progress.

Before:

Halfway (maybe):
    -Alex @vexartmedia-

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    At least it looks completely rust free so far.

Quote: Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
    At least it looks completely rust free so far.
    It is, you basically have to drive a 924/944/968 into a body of saltwater to make them rust! (or wreck them and don't repair correctly) Galvanized bodies FTW!
    -Alex @vexartmedia-

that.. looks... like a nightmare

Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    that.. looks... like a nightmare
    That's a good way of putting it, it sucks! But hopefully when it's nice and painted it will be worth it.

Making more progress. Tried dry ice and it was useless. Oscillating multi-tool and wire wheel seem to be working the best after adhesive remover.

-Alex @vexartmedia-

Top contenders for colors at the moment...

Continental Orange:

Speed Yellow:

Riviera Blue:
    -Alex @vexartmedia-

Regular Member benny_mech will become famous soon enough
    Quote: Originally Posted by alxdgr8 View Post
    That's a good way of putting it, it sucks! But hopefully when it's nice and painted it will be worth it.

Making more progress. Tried dry ice and it was useless. Oscillating multi-tool and wire wheel seem to be working the best after adhesive remover.
    I feel your pain, I did the same thing with my Rabbit. Liquid Nitrogen and a Harbor Freight air chisel seemed to work for getting the big chunks off. What works for you probably depends on the type of gak on your floor pans though.
    “Religion is a defense against the experience of God.”
    — C.G. Jung

+ Reply to Thread