Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1980 BMW E21 323i Baur - Oh Word!

The Super ETA motor that was lumped in (not wired at all) is setup as a m20b28 (Super ETA) high compression motor. IIRC the compression should be 8 to 1-ish. I have a friend that's pretty engine swap/wiring harness saavy that's going to take a look at the mess. Once I know what the path of least resistance is, I'll decide if I put the stock m20b23 back in or finish the uncompleted swap.

The Super ETA would make this a pretty quick car with lots of torque. Tire cooking amounts of torque.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

I've got a set of euro bumpers, single round grill/headlight setup and an A/C free center console on order from the Netherlands. Time to pretty this bucket up.

I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Quote: Originally Posted by Twelvizm View Post

how many door jam stickers does one need?
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

Silly California.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    Sweet! So you're not stealing the Euro bits from the other one. Yay!

Nope. Just ordered more euro bits.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

I just can't bring myself to put those horrible US park benches and ugly quad round headlights back on. And it'll be fun to have the two cars match a little. They'll have different front air dams and different wheels.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    You make it sound so easy. I can't imagine E21 euro bits are easier to come by than S2 Scirocco ones...might as well say close to unobtanium.

They really aren't. But, I know a guy that lives on the Netherlands/Germany border. Otherwise this stuff would be crazy expensive and impossible to find. So when I say I'm ordering euro bits, I mean parts from Europe.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Here's a review of the E21 Baur By Sir Stirling Moss

Anything worth posting, is worth posting well.

Thanks to Howard Fong of Baltimore for passing along the following article from the October 1979 issue of the British magazine HARPERS & QUEEN.

CAR TEST

by (Sir) Stirling Moss

In recent years the actual joy of motoring has diminished. Of course, overcrowded roads and often needless speed limits are largely to blame, but somehow I can't help thinking that today's family car, for all it's advanced technology, offers less enjoyment than one might expect. The performance is often sporty, but the experience of driving can be far from it.

The reason for this, I think, lies in the fact that a saloon car, however quick it may be, is not open. And even a sports car can seem a bit boring if it has a solid roof. Get rid of the roof and even the most pedestrian of vehicles suddenly becomes fun to drive—ask any lucky owner of a Morris Minor convertible. But where are the convertibles of the 70's, or rather '80s? The number of convertibles on the market is very small indeed, and few of these have more than two seats. BMW dealer Sytner of Nottingham is now trying to fill this gap in the market. In a deal with the German coachbuilders Baur, open-air motoring for the whole family is once again available, providing you are prepared to pay an extra $7,500 for the privilege. For this any 3 series BMW can be converted to Cabriolet specification, all the work being carried out by Baur in Stuttgart. Take your saloon into Sytner's and a month or so later you take delivery of a sporty four-seater convertible. The conversion can be carried out on any 3 series model, old or new.

As one of the first to sample the Baur Cabriolet, I must say at once that the conversion is of the highest quality. BMW themselves are in full approval of the design and so the maker's guarantee is in no way invalidated. The 3-series BMW is a familiar enough car in itself, so I will concentrate here on the way this new variant affects driver and occupants. First, I can report that the actual maneuvering of the hood is really quite easy. Anyone with two hands can remove or replace the top in a matter of seconds. The solid roof section above the front seats simply detaches and is stored neatly in the boot, taking up surprisingly little space. Over the rear seats, there's a soft section which folds down neatly. Separating the two halves is a Targa roll-bar which has the effect of strengthening the chassis and offering protection. The overall layout of the car remains very much as standard, with no room being lost at the back. The soft top piles up a bit when it's down, which does tend to give a misleading view in the mirror — it looks as if the road is coming into the back of the car. But one soon gets used to this. The car will do over 100 miles an hour with the top down and, cruising at around 90, I returned about 23 miles per gallon. The model I drove was an automatic and using the kick-down through traffic did rather destroy the economy. But I would say the car should give between 18 and 26 miles per gallon, depending on the driver and conditions. The car felt super on the road, and although the seats are fairly hard (as is so often the case with German cars) there seems little likelihood of fatigue, something an open model does tend to promote. Road holding is good, with little lean or roll. Perhaps the one big problem with convertible vehicles is that when it rains and you have the roof off, you get wet. The BMW is no exception, although I found that with only two in the car, I only needed to replace the front part of the roof to remain dry.

(Editor's note : The NY TIMES or WALL STREET JOURNAL recently carried an ad for a New York or Connecticut dealer that is making the Baur Cabriolets available in the U.S.A., so you may see one on the road someday.)
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Great article. I wonder if the Baur conversion was done purposely to be able to pass US standards? There was no legislation in place at the time that would have demanded the basket style roll bar in Europe.

Baur built cars for BMW since the 30's. What they've done to cars way pre-dates crash standards. But, the design was specifically meant to keep a rigid chassis while giving an open car feel.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Gotcha. Any updates on the car yet?

Not really. It's at my buddy's shop waiting in line to get worked on. At this rate I'll be lucky to drive it before I have to store it away for the winter. There'll be a little update when my box of fun parts shows from The Netherlands.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

+ Reply to Thread