Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11

Thread: 1995 M3 coupe .. track day car

yeah.. I don't have either of those. I rarely need a heat gun.. but every now and then it really seems necessary
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

Regular Member benny_mech will become famous soon enough
    I got this one:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#32605k33/=onkdah

It's only $30, is a nice size for heat shrink tubing, and gets surprisingly hot.
    “Religion is a defense against the experience of God.”
    — C.G. Jung

thanks.. will look into that once I feel like buying something I don't need. Of course, I'll probably need it at the last minute some day, and I won't have it
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

so, today I spent some time trying to clean up the lower steering arm -> suspension mounting bolts.. then gave up and drove to Tacoma Screw and picked up new bolts and washers. Nice & shiny. I spent another 45 minutes or so getting the front struts bolted back in, again. So I'm finally back to where I was on Monday night, except things are installed correctly.

now is when I quote what I typed a couple of nights ago, and say I'm still planning on doing that:
    Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    I'll probably keep the front jacked up for a while longer while I replace the fender liners, install the brake ducts, replace the passenger fog harness, and clean a few other things up. Then I'll start it on the rear.. which should be a lot more simple.

Normal Member ExplosiveToaster will become famous soon enough ExplosiveToaster's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    thanks.. will look into that once I feel like buying something I don't need. Of course, I'll probably need it at the last minute some day, and I won't have it
    This is why I've taught myself not to feel bad about buying tools (within reason) Heat guns are useful for a lot of things.
    - Mike | My Photos | '16 VW Golf R | '87 Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.3-16

yeah they are. I've already picked up a few extra tools while working on this car. I got a set of small offset metric box wrenches, an 18mm socket, and a couple other small things. The offset wrenches have been great so far.. wish I'd had a set like this for a while now.

I finished up the frontend today. The wires and brake lines were attached to the strut housings, I replaced the passenger fender liner, installed brake ducts, fixed the passenger fog light plug, replaced the driver's turn signal, replaced the transmission cross bar, and replaced the bmw roundel hood logo.. and then took the front of the car off its jack stands.. and verified that the battery is still basically dead. It needs a jump.

yesterday.. bought new lower strut mount bolts.... shiny

strut mounted on the correct side

fender liner replacement from today. New is closest to the camera. Note the extra holes in the old one.

replaced the crossbrace that goes under the transmission. This was bent before I bought the car, and I've had the replacement bar for several months.. finally replaced it

new looking roundel hood emblem that I picked up from a parts car last weekend.. so much better

front of the car with its brand new kidney grilles and new hood badge

got the car jumped.. and drove it around a little bit. The front end is definitely a little stiffer (not much). It's hard to tell that it's lower in the front. I haven't measured yet. I'm really curious what the camber is going to be as well.

The rears should hopefully be done tomorrow...

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    You also need to give it time to settle after you complete the suspension setup.

of course

one week after starting () I finished the spring upgrade.

how the car sat last night, with new front springs in, but rear springs still stock

old vs. new rear springs

"technology tested on the Nürburgring Nordschleife"

old springs were pretty easy to force out..

new springs were even easier to install

back on the ground with all springs in..

and I finally took some shots with both seats in

so the car sits slightly less than an inch lower than it did before, right now. The M3 was a bit higher than stock with the stock springs on the Bilstein Sports, so this drop is maybe only 3/4" lower than stock, right now. So far the car does feel better.. and it actually feels like it's taking bumps better. I expected the new springs to be a better match for the shocks, but what I'm feeling so far is quite the difference.

The car will be aligned tomorrow. Once camber is changed in the rear.. I might have to roll/pull the rear fenders a bit. Right now the rear tires rub on some dips.

I had the M3 aligned yesterday morning. The rear still max's out at -1.6 degrees each side, so there's not much more I can do without buying adjustable rear control arms. The front camber isn't adjustable at all, but shims are installed, so it's also at -1.6 degrees each side, right now, until I can buy camber plates.

So, once I have nearly $1k to spend on camber adjustments, I'll be able to obtain more camber

In the mean time, I'll have the rear fenders rolled more. The driver's side also has metal pushed in where the tow truck's cable bent metal when the car was being towed out of the marsh. So I'll have to bend that back as well.

for comparison's sake.. this is a few months ago, at the car's previous height:

drove the M3 to work in downtown Seattle this afternoon. Holy cow the ride is so much better. It's a huge improvement. The car actually feels like it has suspension now.. before it felt like it was rock hard, sometimes. The tires also feel like they are contacting the road a little better in turns, even though the camber & toe is similar to what it was before. I chock this up to an improvement in the damper's movement.

It'll probably be 2014 when the car is on track again.. but I'm looking forward to finally seeing what the Bilstein Sports are like.

Normal Member ExplosiveToaster will become famous soon enough ExplosiveToaster's Avatar
    Hopefully the 190 will be back on the street sometime next year to accompany your BMW to the track

Would be cool

Did a lot of work yesterday.. replaced window trim, the driver's door seal, the hood cowl, and reinstalled some things I've had removed since the accident. I cleaned the car this morning and took it to Griot's.. best it's looked yet

more pics. First.. had the car aligned a week ago at the North Auburn Les Scwab. Jason Patton did the alignment for me using their alignment pit.. good stuff.

then, this last Friday, I started in on replacing a few more bits.

new door handle covers/seals. Old..

big difference..

the cover off..

new..

replaced the window trim with better looking trim from a parts car. Old..

big difference..

new..

then, replaced the driver's side door seal with a better example I got from another parts car. Old..

new.. still damaged in the same place, but not as badly. And the door shuts a lot more soundly now.

replaced the hood cowl. Old..

big difference..

how it sat on Sunday after being washed. The car looks a lot more clean now.

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    Looks good!

thanks

exhaust comparison.. old vs. new. Hopefully you can tell that the engine makes a nice noise, and the exhaust compliments it

A Somebody Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody's Avatar
    Sounds awesome!

I received a printout of some dyno runs performed on the car when I bought it. I always thought that the peak numbers were a bit low (still do), and I have reproduced situations where the car appears to have a lot less power than it does at other times. So, after I installed the OBD2 mid-pipes and the AA cat-back, I figured a new dyno was in order.

I went back to the same place as the previous owner ran.. and got four pulls in. The peak power ended up being almost exactly the same, though more power is available throughout the lower RPM range now. Now.. I need to figure out why the power seems so low on a dyno. This car should probably be running between 230 - 245hp at the rear wheels. I think that power really does exist, but that there's an issue that results in lower output when starting from lower RPM's like on these pulls.

so... before (a little over 2 years ago):

after:

How's the fueling at higher RPMs?

just fine.. you can see the AFR on both of the graphs. If anything.. it's too rich.

I love seeing this car in the garage...

that is all

everyone probably knows me by now girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood's Avatar
    Looking good, man. I'd love to have a toy car like this!

+ Reply to Thread