Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: 1995 M3 coupe .. track day car

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    I'm buying the car..
    Very cool congrats joel!

Quote: Originally Posted by VWsEatRice View Post
    i might be
    let me know... I'll check them over thoroughly tomorrow and take some pics. They'll be coming out of the car pretty quickly
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

updated the "I'm buying the car" post and added this:

Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    my attempt at prioritizing work on the car, based on importance and cost:
    • remove all seats
    • remove trunk insulation/carpet
    • clay bar, seal paint
    • paint chrome kidney surround black
    • fix vanos and breather oil leaks
    • replace rear transmission seal, guibo, transmission mounts, shifter bushings, front cross bar
    • install rear trailing arm reinforcements
    • install new undertray and a radiator baffle
    • replace hood cowl cover
    • replace windshield
    • buy new track tires
    • replace oil pan gasket, install oil pan baffle, secure oil pump nut
    • check valve cover gaskets for leaks and replace if necessary
    • check & replace belts if needed
    • remove sunroof assembly & motor, replace with carbon fiber panel
    • flush brake fluid, change out brake pads, install brass caliper bushings
    • upgrade exhaust (going to be interesting with the welded bit in there)
    • touch up paint chips
    Last edited by joel; 2012.08.04 at 01:51 AM.
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    Congrats!

A Somebody Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody's Avatar
    Congrats!

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    I admit that I had to look up "vanos."

been around the block a few times EK20 is a jewel in the rough EK20 is a jewel in the rough EK20's Avatar
    Kind of a knockoff VTEC, right?
    The soul that pines for eternity shall outspan death. You, dweller of the twilight void, come Dunwich

"I cannot sleep unless I am surrounded by books."
    - Jorge Luis Borges

everyone probably knows me by now Jazzydub has a spectacular aura about Jazzydub has a spectacular aura about Jazzydub's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by EK20 View Post
    Kind of a knockoff VTEC, right?
    Haha, that's the first thing I thought of when I started reading that link.

VANOS > VTEC though

first fill up.. cost me a shade over $51.. at $3.74/gallon for premium. I got 30.2 mpg, AC on the whole time, on the 49 mile drive home staying around 5 - 10mph over the limit. That's quite impressive. With that sort of efficiency and lower fuel cost, there are times when it could be cheaper to drive the M3 than the SportWagen

we fit a full extra set of 17x8.5" wheels w/tires, a bin full of parts, and boxes containing the old headlights in the car

I'm rearranging my small garage now so I can fit the extra wheels in there nicely, along with parts, and still fit my wagon (the M3 stays outside).

The M3 definitely needs a detail (paint is in pretty good shape.. but needs the special touch ).

I've also noticed a couple more things... the driver's door seal is torn in one spot. I'll have to look into replacing it to keep me happy. Also, the brake feel is ok, but is definitely not what I want. I'm sure the car needs new lines and new fluid. The pads are HP+ (I believe).. which are really loud at times and they probably are dusty, and they don't feel that great when not up to temp.. but they also look pretty new so I guess they'll stay on the car for a while.
    Last edited by joel; 2012.08.05 at 09:36 AM.

Eeek, I abhor Kosei wheels. I know they are light and strong, but they are ugly and look like they belong on an RX7.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

light yes
    strong no

I don't care about looks when it comes to track wheels though.. I have no reason to not use them right now.

I'd rattle can the crap out of them to black them out so they didn't stand out so much.

So, how's the car feel? Is it everything you'd hoped for? Are you two bonding well?
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

yeah.. I spent some time rearranging the garage so I could stack more wheels in the corner, emptied the car out, looked at the parts I got with the car (some random stuff, some original parts that were replaced with upgrades, etc.), then went for a 20 minute or so drive around the area. The car gets up to 100mph quickly

it's a little bouncy.. and quite stiff. I'm guessing that's due to the stock springs being used. I like the ride height, but the springs definitely need to be better matched with the dampers.

I'm still finding small things that need to be fixed or looked at.. so I'm adding it to the list

also just put a PNWfahren sticker on the car right now.. so it can fit in.

created this page:
    http://fakelag.net/m3

:badass:
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

spent about an hour this evening removing the kidney grilles from the nose panel, and then the grilles from the chrome surrounds.

I'm washing the parts now.. and will spray the chrome with black Plasti Dip later tonight. This the same thing I did with my lower grille trim piece on the wagon.. it looks good and withstands quite a bit of abuse, even without preparing the chrome beyond just washing it.

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    how much toast do you need at one time???
    -Tyler-

haha.. I only have that toaster because it was one of the cheapest "not cheap" toasters I could find. The cheaper ones like to burn up, pump smoke out the top, etc. The left side hasn't ever been used..

Toast party at joels!

I don't own a toaster!

I realized today that although this is my fifth German car.. it's actually my first German car.

I've had two US Volkswagens and two Mexican Volkswagens.. this is my first car actually made in Germany

just applied the third coat. I think this will be it. They should be ready to reinstall in the morning.. after I clean up the nose panel and bumper around the grille area

I was already going to an autocross next Sunday.. so now I'll be taking the M3

finished product

Looks much better. Statin black on black is good look.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

ugh.. I should have taped off the sides and sprayed a little more over the edge of the kidneys. You can still see hints of chrome on one of the grilles, and it stands out too well.

Oh well.. guess I'm pulling these back off soon

I cleaned the nose panel, headlights, core support, etc. up a bit while I was at it. The car has been cleaned regularly, but it will still definitely benefit from a good detail. I'm planning on driving to Tacoma today to see my parents and probably wash the car for some photos. The paint and glass badly need to see a clay bar, but I won't be able to do this today. The paint will be too hot anyway..

+ Reply to Thread