Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: 1995 M3 coupe .. track day car

been around the block a few times EK20 is a jewel in the rough EK20 is a jewel in the rough EK20's Avatar
    I think I have the same pizza pan dealie.

Those look great and will look awesome on the car.
    The soul that pines for eternity shall outspan death. You, dweller of the twilight void, come Dunwich

"I cannot sleep unless I am surrounded by books."
    - Jorge Luis Borges

There's not much of a better way to learn about a car and its lines than too hand wash it... except to detail the car

I just gave the car a good hand wash.. it was pretty clean, and water was beading up well over most of the car, but you can tell the washes have been quick, missing more difficult spots. There's also dirt build up in places like the trough around the top of the trunk. I'm hoping it cools off a bit more here then I'll try to spend some time doing a quick detail. Id love to clay bar the paint too, but I'm worried about stripping wax or sealant off right now. I'll definitely clay the window glass though... they all have horrible water spots.
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

this can't be right.. can it?

it'll be interesting to do the math next time I fill up
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

so I have tail light bulb issues. There was a brake light fail alert when I first test drove the car.. I got it working by playing with the bulb, but now it's not working again. The same happened with the tail lights, where I fiddled with the bulbs and I got a light on both sides, but in different parts of the tail. A little further research says that there are two running light bulbs in each tail light. I can't figure out why the outer most bulb is dual filament though, unless maybe it's supposed to operate as a rear fog as well?

Either way.. the bulbs are held in by sockets that then make the power connection with the circuit. Apparently it's common for these sockets to become touchy over time.

So, I guess I'm going to be replacing some bulb sockets this week, and probably a couple bulbs as well. Right now I have one running light and one brake light, and my passenger turn signal had to be messed with to get it to work tonight as well

Tomorrow I need to start the process of getting my OMP Champ seat into the car, which means buying/ordering brackets. The Sparco seats just aren't working well for me. I need to sell them anyway.

I may also give in and pick up some Euro side mirror glass soon.. the M3 mirrors are so small that they really need to be more aspherical. I might even try to seek out a RHD driver's mirror just so that the passenger side is better as well (this is what I've done on the wagon).

Random thought:

How is the wiring harness going to the trunk lid? When I was doing my E36 homework years ago, I remember that people were having a problem with it rubbing and and shorting out within the loom. The consequent shorting of wires causes weird electrical problems throughout the car.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

I think it's run under the rear bench seat and into the trunk.. I saw a couple of looms of wire going back there when I partially pulled the rear seat today.

Today I did the following:
    • registered the car.. $500+ for "use tax'.. ugh
    • replaced a bunch of tail light bulbs and got all of them to work
    • bought one new tail light bulb socket from Fine Tuning to replace the improperly used one (a gray 5w socket was supposed to be a black 21w socket)
    • bought side mount brackets for the OMP Champ seat from 425 Motorsports
    • installed the OMP Champ seat in the driver's side

the OMP seat barely fits.. the upper wing rubs against the door, and the lower right bolster hits the center console. It fits though.. and it's a lot more comfortable than the Sparco seat for me (seats usually affect me differently than most other people. The mk2 16v Recaro seats hurt my back). It's also much more adjustable because it's side mount. Getting it installed and positioned on my own was a real PITA. I had to mount and unmount the seat from the brackets about four times to figure out where the brackets should attach to the adapters and to figure out how to run the factory seat belt until I get 4 point harnesses. I also had to buy a T50 Torx bit to temporarily disconnect the seat belt so it could run through the seat's side hole. I'm happy with the result though.

I did remove the slider from the driver's side when I installed the OMP seat, but I'll probably leave it in the passenger side so 1) any passengers can arrange the seat for what works for them, and 2) I can have a slight chance of being able to climb into the back seat area when needed.

I took some real pics today..

really need to clean the interior..

I'll need to get harnesses soon.. the factory belt doesn't really work properly since the belt receiver doesn't fit through the seat hole
    Last edited by joel; 2012.08.07 at 16:14 PM.

going to remove the rear seats this week.. should shed another 45 lbs or so.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=146261

first tank of fuel.. 335 miles used 15 gallons.. at 22.3mpg

Normal Member Numbersix will become famous soon enough
    Nice pickup, Joel. They are great cars and take a lot of hard driving/track work. I assume the rear diff mount and subframe bushings are OK? Brian @ South Lake is a good friend of mine, they will definitely take care of you.

all bushings have been replaced with poly's recently... they're good.

I'm not really sure what the 'rear diff mount' is? Are you referring to this? http://store.bimmerworld.com/e36-rea...-kit-p984.aspx
    I'll have those in sometime next month, most likely

edit: aww.. I see. I'm not sure about the rear diff mount condition right now. I'll have to do some reading to determine if OEM style bushings are ok, or if I should just upgrade to some solid bushings back there.
    Last edited by joel; 2012.08.09 at 23:42 PM.

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    Quote: Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
    Nice pickup, Joel. They are great cars and take a lot of hard driving/track work. I assume the rear diff mount and subframe bushings are OK? Brian @ South Lake is a good friend of mine, they will definitely take care of you.
    Brian Terrill? I think that is how his last name is spelled.

there are two Brian's at South Lake European.. Brian Terril and Brian Saeter.. I believe. The first is the manager/front desk person. They did the pre-purchase inspection on my car.

incoming..

Schroth Rallye Cross ASM black.. driver's side for now.

it'll cost me around $900 to pick up side mounts, a seat, and harness for the passenger side later on

Normal Member Numbersix will become famous soon enough
    Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    there are two Brian's at South Lake European.. Brian Terril and Brian Saeter.. I believe. The first is the manager/front desk person. They did the pre-purchase inspection on my car.
    Brian Terril. Known him since his Corrado days.

Junior Member Mr. Yellow is on a distinguished road
    huh, I was under the assumption that all M3's (both U.S. and Euro) didn't have Amber lens turn signals, no that I'm complaining as i love the amber lenses.
    Enjoying the PNW

that's just because nearly every M3 has had the European corner markers installed.. as well as some sort of Euro headlights. It's so common that people forget to mention them in mod lists.

here's video from the five autocross runs on Sunday.

the times were:
    1st run - 65.617 clean
    2nd run - 62.764 clean
    3rd run - 61.782 clean
    4th run - 60.442 clean
    5th run - 60.841 missed 1 gate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSma0Du5X5I&hd=1

I learned a lot about the car. It's going to be a good one for sure.. I can't wait to see it at the track in a month or two. The tires on the car right now are old.. manufactured in 2006. Any input at speed meant the rear end wanted to kick out. You can see me losing traction a few times in the video. The brakes are also in need of some help, but I already knew this. The car also had trouble keeping its oil pressure up after a few of the runs.. but this doesn't really surprise me either. All of these things will be taken care of soon. The car is fun.. and sounds awesome

I've known that the driver's brake duct was loose.. I went to play with it before the autocross on Sunday and realized that it was being held out of place by the horn, that is hanging by wires on top of it

time to figure out how to get it back in place..

update the list in post #9 to include a few new things, and to reprioritize the list some.

Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    • fix tail lights (done)
    • remove all seats
    • install OMP Champ seat (done)
    • install driver's Schroth harness
    • remove trunk insulation/carpet (?)
    • clay bar, seal paint
    • paint chrome kidney surround black (done)
    • fix horn hanging down, and brake duct being loose
    • fix vanos and breather oil leaks
    • replace rear transmission seal, guibo, transmission mounts, shifter bushings, front cross bar (replace with x-brace (?))
    • flush brake fluid, replace brake lines
    • install rear trailing arm reinforcement plates
    • install new undertray and a radiator baffle
    • check for lower temp tstat and fan switch
    • look into installing electric radiator fan
    • replace hood cowl cover
    • replace windshield
    • install passenger OMP Champ seat and Schroth harness
    • buy new track tires
    • replace BMW roundel badge
    • buy Euro aspherical mirror glass
    • replace oil pan gasket, install oil pan baffle, secure oil pump nut, upgrade oil pump shaft, replace/reinforce oil pick up pipe
    • check valve cover gaskets for leaks and replace if necessary
    • check & replace belts if needed
    • change out brake pads, install brass caliper bushings
    • upgrade exhaust (going to be interesting with the welded bit in there)
    • replace window motors & regulators
    • replace torn driver's floor mat
    • replace top window trim on both sides
    • touch up paint chips
    • replace scratched bumper trim
    • replace torn driver's door seal
    • remove sunroof assembly & motor, replace with carbon fiber panel
    I'm sure I'll be changing it more.

this morning I went through this list and got some parts prices. I could easily spend a couple grand on parts just to get the car track ready in the next couple of months... and that's not counting shop labor.

The most important things for track days are:
    • fix all oil leaks
    • fix transmission seal leak
    • install oil pan baffle, replace oil pan gasket, upgrade oil pump shaft, secure oil pump nut, check/reinforce/replace oil pump pick up pipe
    • replace windshield
    • install undertray and radiator baffle
    • flush brake fluid, replace lines
    • replace flex disc (guibo)
    • install rear trailing arm pocket reinforcement plates (?)
    • new tires

and for any club events:
    • buy new Planted seat brackets
    • buy new passenger OMP Champ seat
    • buy new Schroth harness

I might be able to avoid any club events for the rest of this year.. so I might be able to run without a passenger seat this year. That will save me around $900 up front.. and allow me to focus more on fixing the car up and setting the car up so it won't break

pulled the kidneys off the car again.. already have some plasti dip chipped off in one place. I'll tape off what I don't want painted this time so I can get a little better coverage.. and less chrome showing through.

also checked the oil today.. it's about a quart low. The PO says he used Castrol Edge 5w-30, which is essentially the factory recommended oil. The low oil explains why I was getting some ticking after a while at the autocross

spent the evening removing the passenger Sparco seat from the car, removing the sliders from the seats, pulling the rear bench out (can't get the top parts out yet.. have to figure that out still), buying some oil and topping the engine off (was down 1qt), and reinstalling the kidney grilles (which look much better now). So, right now, the car has only one seat in it.

I'll probably wash the car tomorrow, and try to detail the interior a bit (it's a bit of a mess from the PO).

I also put a 425 Motorsports sticker on one side, and an STR sticker in back.. in preparation for the track map stickers that are going to go above it

the driver's Schroth harness might arrive tomorrow.. otherwise I'll probably have it on Monday. I'm looking forward to seeing the black harness in here.
    Last edited by joel; 2012.08.17 at 20:29 PM.

there we go.. got the rear bench completely out. So, I pulled around 85 lbs out of the car today, and about 20 lbs will be going back in when the passenger seat is installed. Not too bad..

the previous owner sent me the new glove box latch to replace the broken one.. took 2 minutes to replace

broken piece:

+ Reply to Thread