Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: 1995 M3 coupe .. track day car

Time to put in a bigger motor. Dibs on this one.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

funny

if this motor lasts.. I'm sure some day it'll be boosted.. some day
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

haha.. well, I pulled the glove box out to see if the aftermarket alarm brain was back there. I found it (pretty sure), but it's in there well enough that I still can't see which model the alarm is. I know it's a Clifford.. which was the brand that dealers installed.. but of course it was also simply a popular brand in the 90s and early 2000s and could have been installed as an aftermarket alarm.

The reason I'm looking is that I want to disable the auto lock/unlock when I turn the car's ignition on & off.. though I may just pull the alarm out when I get the chance (slightly more work.. mind you )

oh well.. I'll try looking into it more later.

In the midst of pulling the glove box, I, of course, get to find more missing screws, missing speed nuts, etc. for various trim pieces. I don't care too much.. but it's still interesting to see how much is either broken or has been just not reinstalled correctly over the years.

The other problem is.. I reinstalled the glove box and now the latch itself won't stay closed. It can latch.. but if you pull on the 'door' slightly it just pops back open. I tested the latch mechanism manually and confirmed that it's just not staying latched. If I lock the glove box the latch doesn't open up any more. So, I guess I'll be locking my glove box from now on
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

someone went through BMW's VIN listings and totaled up how many of each combination was sold of the S50B30US 5spd cars. Remember.. this engine only made it to the US, and was only in cars for one "model year" (although the 1995 US M3's were manufactured for almost two years). Only a coupe was available as well (sedan was only sold in '97 and '98).

USA coupe manual (LHD): 8,515 produced from 03/94 through 12/95
    USA coupe automatic (LHD): 1,705 produced from 12/94 through 01/96

so, for the manual s50b30us coupes:

the exterior color is on the left.. with interiors running across the top. Only the interior options to the far right were standard options.. anything on the left side was a "BMW individual option".

So, my car (black/black) is the most common of all of the '95 cars.. at 2339 total

today got to see the car up on a lift for the first time since I bought the car. Holy cow there's a lot of oil below that engine and transmission. The valve cover gasket looks to be leaking a little since I tightened the bolts.. but it's hard to tell. The tech thinks the oil filter housing gasket is leaking, which might explain all of the oil everywhere. Good times..

A Somebody Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody's Avatar
    Oil leaks I have to change the oil cooler gasket and oil pan gasket on the gf's car next oil change.

yeah.. I'm basically planning to replace almost every hose, gasket, and o-ring related to the lubrication system. Thankfully most of it isn't too difficult, and most of the parts are pretty cheap. It definitely needs to be done

so the poly transmission mounts are in.. they definitely transmit a bit more vibration, and a little noise, but the transmission won't be moving around any more, so I know that my shifts will be accurate and that I won't accidentally over-rev the engine some day. It makes the car feel a little meaner now too

the steel braided brake lines (and clutch line) and Motul RBF600 fluid is also in the car now.. wow, what a difference. That ATE fluid just wasn't doing it. Now I at least know what the brake pads feel like, and the brake pedal feel is sooooooo much better. The clutch feels a little more consistent now as well.

I also picked up the $5 oil filter housing gasket. The job would probably cost me 2 - 3 hours in labor if done in a shop.. it'll probably take me 4 - 6 hours to do it myself, but it's also not too difficult and I certainly have the time. That'll be step one to fixing the oil leaks. I'll probably replace some other o-rings and other bits while I'm at it.

trans mounts and lines

Regular Member benny_mech will become famous soon enough
    Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    yeah.. I'm basically planning to replace almost every hose, gasket, and o-ring related to the lubrication system. Thankfully most of it isn't too difficult, and most of the parts are pretty cheap. It definitely needs to be done
    This! Far better to do it all at once than fart around doing one at a time. Anything not leaking now will be leaking soon.

Quote: Originally Posted by benny_mech View Post
    This! Far better to do it all at once than fart around doing one at a time. Anything not leaking now will be leaking soon.
    agreed.. I'm looking forward to taking care of this car.

so, today I drove the car to Tacoma (the OMP seat really is nice.. I need to buy a lumbar support for it though), put it up on jacks, and tried to clean as much of the oil and dirt off the bottom of the engine and transmission as I could. I really need to get this car up on a lift and go at it with a toothbrush... it was really difficult to get to some areas that still have a lot of oil built up, but I was at least able to get to a lot the underneath of the car, and cut through a lot of crap thanks to some Simple Green, Griot's Engine Cleaner, and a brush.

I still have a lot more to clean

I've always been a fan of Oil Eater. I've tried lots and lots of degreasers over the years, but nothing works as well as that stuff. http://www.oileater.com/ I get it at Costco.

I've also been known to bring a jack and jackstands to the coin-op car wash. Lift the car up, spray everything underneath with Oil Eater, let it soak, then spray off with the pressure washer. Repeat as necessary. Makes working on things so much nicer, and finding leaks so much easier.

I just can't get the car high enough with what I have right now. I need a super floor jack

Also at Costco! (Oh god, I sound like a salesman)

haha
    well.. I've already spent way more than I had planned to this month, so I definitely don't have any extra. I have to make do with what I have

moved my list of what needs to be done to the first post.. was tired of finding it in the middle of the first page, and it should be easier for you guys to follow what I'm doing now

well.. I got the Euro mirror glass today. I'm not really sure what to think yet. I ordered the specific part numbers for the LHD driver's side and the RHD driver's side (so, left side and right side should both be aspheric). The glass is also supposed to be tinted blue. It looks a little blue inside, but when I compare it with my existing glass I just can't tell if there's a difference. There's also no line or 'break' in the glass indicating that it's aspherical, and the field of view looks the exact same. I've posted on bimmerforums hoping to get a quick answer some how.. but sadly the BMW guys seem to be pretty clueless about this sort of thing.

I also got the Motion Motorsport one-piece aluminium underpanel and radiator baffle today. Both look really nice.. and they came with a lot of illustrated instructions and associated hardware. The underpanel looks awesome.. I can't wait to get it bolted up. Their adjustable GT front spoiler attaches to this as well.. so with just a couple hundred more dollars spent later on I can have a nice set up, up front. This should provide a little more downforce, especially when the car is lowered more.

in the continuing saga of dealing with the oil mess on the car, I managed to clean off maybe half of the oil built up over a couple of years on the underside of the engine and transmission. There's a lot more work to go.. and my eventual goal, besides fixing all of the leaks and replacing most of the oil related parts, is to make the engine bay and underside as clean as possible, with torque marker on almost everything. That's going to be a lot of work, but it'll be worth it.

In the mean time, here are some before pics of the oil mess underneath. I don't have any mid-way pics yet since it was getting dark when I finished up on Sunday.

these are basically going from front-to-back

lifted up as high as I can get the car right now

front/bottom of the engine

rear of engine, looking back toward the transmission

transmission cross bar and transmission

transmission and the new steel braided clutch cable

transmission

the new transmission mounts.. already have oil on them from the rear seal leaking

rear of the transmission

the welded exhaust

took this photo to show the water spots that can be found on all of the glass.. haven't had a chance to get my car near a place where I can plug the orbital in yet. I really need a place where I can work that's not too far from homw

A Somebody Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody's Avatar
    Thats a oily mess! It looks like there is a big hole in the exhaust right above that weld?

yeah, it is

Quote: Originally Posted by Mr.Nobody View Post
    It looks like there is a big hole in the exhaust right above that weld?
    not sure?
    bigger pic: http://www.fakelag.net/users/d/38380-1/DSC_3642.jpg

there are a few holes around the muffler for sure. That whole cat back piece needs to be replaced sooner than later.. the rest of the exhaust should be fine. It'll all be replaced at some point anyway (headers, high flow cat, cat back, etc.)

Nope no hole. It just look like there was.

Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    well.. I got the Euro mirror glass today. I'm not really sure what to think yet. I ordered the specific part numbers for the LHD driver's side and the RHD driver's side (so, left side and right side should both be aspheric). The glass is also supposed to be tinted blue. It looks a little blue inside, but when I compare it with my existing glass I just can't tell if there's a difference. There's also no line or 'break' in the glass indicating that it's aspherical, and the field of view looks the exact same. I've posted on bimmerforums hoping to get a quick answer some how.. but sadly the BMW guys seem to be pretty clueless about this sort of thing.
    well crap.. I realized what I did. I ordered the two driver's side mirrors rather than the two passenger mirrors. So I ended up with the two flat mirrors, rather than two aspheric mirrors. *sigh*. Now I'm out money that I can't afford, even if I get a "refund" (minus the shipping I paid for, my cost to ship back, and the 15% restocking fee). Ugh..

edit: no.. wait. I knew this didn't sound right. I did order the two driver's mirrors (Euro left side and UK right side) and they're both flat.. but in Europe it is the driver's side that is aspheric... right? Everything I'm seeing for VW's right now confirms this, so I'm really confused.
    Last edited by joel; 2012.09.19 at 19:47 PM.

added more things to the 'to do' list in the first post. This car will cost me a good amount of my money over the next several months

I wish there was an easier way to tell which aux fan switch is installed in my car. They all look the same.. and I don't think they have any external markings. It sucks.. I'll basically have to buy a $25 part just to ensure that the correct one is installed, along with replacing a bunch of coolant.

shuffled some money around in my budget for the next few months, and found a way to pay for some necessary items. So I'll be ordering new belts (AC and main serpentine belt), new oil pipe along with some other new vanos hoses, gaskets, and o-rings, oil filter, low temp aux fan switch, and coolant. I'll get oil from the local parts store.

Once I have all of these things I can pull the oil filter housing off to replace that gasket, and then replace nearly everything else that I removed in the process.. all of which is leaking some amount of oil right now.

ordered tires... having them mounted on Sunday

245/40R17 Kumho Ecsta XS

+ Reply to Thread