Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: 1995 M3 coupe .. track day car

planning on having a new windshield installed on Thursday morning
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

got my parts in.. now I only need to buy oil, distilled water, and some drill bits (for installing the underpanel). I already have the oil filter housing gasket, waiting to go on.

the most expensive part there? the hose/pipe in the middle with the metal fittings at the end. That cost me $65. One of the belts cost $38, and the little auxiliary fan switch at the bottom right was $32. I can't wait to get this stuff on the car.
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

now.. does anyone have a garage or other place not too far from me where I could work on the car?

I have all tools, except something to collect the 7qt of oil.. guess I need one of those. I'm not interested in driving to Tacoma to work on the car though.

updated http://fakelag.net/m3/ with more correct mod information... and added an chronological list of what I've done to the car so far, so I can keep track

Regular Member benny_mech will become famous soon enough
    I'd offer my garage, but it's half full of crap, and the other half is the missus' parking spot. I just got all new silicone hoses for the Gti, since it shat out a bunch of coolant all over the place. Need to do those soon, I'm tired of driving my busted pickup truck.

no worries.. Jeremy appears to have hooked me up with his neighbor, so I should be able to do this work next weekend

everyone probably knows me by now Jazzydub has a spectacular aura about Jazzydub has a spectacular aura about Jazzydub's Avatar

new windshield today.. thanks to Mark at Leading Edge Auto Glass.

there was some paper down between the window and the glass that I was able to remove during this time.. as well as a couple of wires (the PO had a hardwire for a radar detector (?) and a bluetooth phone speaker for the headunit) that I removed, so that feels good

RMA'ing the euro mirror glass. They are incorrect, and I need the cash right now. I'll try to find the correct glass again in a couple of months...

looks like I'm picking up an Active Autowerke Gen-3 cat-back exhaust, along with the midpipe & cats, on Sunday. This will free up around 15 lbs (putting the car solidly below 3000 lbs (stock was a little over 3200 lbs), will probably add around 10hp, and will eliminate the issue of one of the exhaust pipes being welded in between the midpipes and the cats (since I'm replacing both pieces). It'll also save me around $600 (or more) from buying the cat-back new and having the weld fixed. It'll also sound pretty good

I'm hoping to install a week from this Sunday as well..

So, on the 14th, I'm hoping to do the following:
    • replace the engine and AC belts
    • replace VANOS oil pipe, hoses, gaskets, and washers
    • replace oil filter housing gasket
    • change oil & oil filter and use a slightly more track friendly oil
    • replace existing auxiliary fan switch with low temp fan switch
    • install aluminum underpanel and radiator baffle
    • replace rear half of exhaust system with new midpipes, cats, and AA cat-back

I'm also having the new Kumho Ecsta XS tires mounted this Sunday evening.

after all of that is done I'll be ready for my first track day.. hopefully on October 20th.
    Last edited by joel; 2012.10.05 at 08:07 AM.

changed to the TR Motorsport wheels this evening, with nearly new DWS tires on them, and then took the car out for a quick drive to see how the newer all season tires compared with the 6 year old summer tires. The DWS' turn-in is just as weak feeling, and it's a lot easier to break traction with these tires compared to the old RE-01's, but it's easy to do so predictably and to control it. The RE-01's are almost uncontrollable except when they're quite warm, and they are definitely unpredictable. I'm looking forward to having the Ecsta XS tires on the car this next week... should be nice.

mine!

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    that muffler is very… interesting…
    -Tyler-

Normal Member machetephil will become famous soon enough
    Looks like something from a Star Wars movie

yeah, it looks weird, but it's one of the better sounding cat-backs you can buy, and one of the lighter ones, without adding a lot more noise.

new Kumho Ecsta XS tires on the Kosei wheels

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    don't most older cars with sunroofs have a manual crank option? I know that on my old Mk3's, you could pop off the motor cover and they had a hex wrench in there that you could use to crank the sunroof closed, assuming that the track wasn't messed up.

as far as I know my car does have the ability to manually crank the sunroof closed. But my sunroof is closed already. I rarely use it, and I plan on removing it some day. It's my windows that are stuck open

I may have to pull the door panels and figure out how to apply power directly to the motors to bypass any other ground or computer issue.

Hopefully I can find someone else's ZKE module to test with.. but my time is quickly running out, and I have no extra money. So, the M3 may well just be parked in the garage until December now

A Somebody Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody's Avatar
    Have you tested to see if you are getting power to the switches yet?

nope.. haven't had time. I had to turn around last night and get tires mounted, and then I've basically slept since (I had a lot of catching up to do).

I'm note even sure how to pull the panel around the gear shifter off yet. I'm pretty sure that it has something to do with the ZKE module right now. From what I can tell it seems like when another unrelated circuit that goes through this module and is screwed up in some way (blown fuse, shorting wires, etc.), it's common for both the sunroof and window switches to stop working

So, it may be an issue with wiring elsewhere, or the ZKE module is broken. It's not a fuse as far as I can tell.. I've replaced all fuses related to the ZKE module systems so far.

Either way, I probably won't have much time to troubleshoot, and I certainly won't have the money to replace the module. So if it's not a simple thing to find and fix then the car will be staying in the garage until December, when I have money again

well, I got the windows up by putting the key in the driver's door lock, and holding it in the lock position. I didn't know that my car had this feature... thankfully it does

so at least the windows are up. This means that I still have a chance of tracking the car in two weeks, I can park it back outside, and I can take it out next weekend to work on it without worrying about rain. This resolves a large amount of the issues and concerns with the windows not working right now.

Hopefully later this week I can try troubleshooting the ZKE module a bit more. I can't afford to replace it (seems to be around $330 new) right now, but it's also unlikely that it's broken.. and more likely that it's confused because there's a short somewhere else.

today I bought a bunch of oil, oxygen sensor bung hole plugs, and a 36mm socket that I'm not sure I'll need... but I'm ready for Sunday now

edit: yeah.. I don't need the 36mm socket. Oh well..
    Last edited by joel; 2012.10.12 at 10:08 AM.

paid for oem obd2 headers today.. they're a nice upgrade over my obd1 headers, and they swap in nicely once a couple of holes are plugged. So... the M3 will soon have the better flowing obd2 headers and midpipes (best available without spending $1000+) and a nice aftermarket cat-back.

Now I just need Schrick 264/256 cams (up from the current 256/250 cams) and the car will be about as upgraded as possible while still being NA

but fixing more things will come first... then suspension and camber plates

finished everything but the exhaust install. It probably would have been fairly quick to do the exhaust.. but then everything should have been faster and easier than it was today, so maybe it would have been a nightmare instead

The maintenance work itself took about as long as I expected, but it took longer than I expected to pour oil back into the car, and to clean oil and debris around the oil filter housing. The work was pretty easy, especially with a little extra help here and there.

What actually took way too long was the underpanel install. It was cumbersome installing this large thing, and we got hung up on a couple of things that shouldn't have been as difficult as they were. We did get it installed though.. it looks good, and I now finally have my brake ducts secured, since they are dependent on the wheel liners not moving, and the wheel liners are now screwed onto the underpanel.

I'll just have to do the exhaust some other time..

some pics..

after draining the oil. The alternator was a pain to remove without a little extra help.. not difficult though.

alternator out.. power steering pump had to have 3 of its 4 bolts removed in order to take the oil filter housing out

it's out. We noticed a lot of built up oil at the bottom of the gasket, and the gasket itself was pretty hard. So, between that and the oil pipe, and the o-ring for the vanos breather connector that I replaced today, this should eliminate all of the oil leaks.

this shot was after I spent about an hour cleaning as much as I could from around the hole

all of the oil leak culprits removed...

oil filter housing with new gasket installed

the expensive vanos oil pipe and on of the vanos breather lines that was also soaked in oil crud

installing the underpanel. It's meant to be used as a template to drill holes in the bottom of the bumper. We had the panel shift on us slightly when drilling holes though.. so we ended up needing to modify the panel a bit to get some of the studs to come through

finished.. it's in there good

I also got the radiator baffle installed on the underpanel, so air coming through the lower grille is nicely directed toward the radiator. The low temp auxiliary fan switch is also installed now.. which is when I found out that my car has green coolant, and the BMW coolant I bought is blue. *grrrrr*

I should be all ready for the track day this coming Saturday.. once I get the new tires on the car

+ Reply to Thread