Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: 1995 M3 coupe .. track day car

took some pics of the TR Motorsport wheels on the car before I put the Kosei's back on. I think I like the look a little better..

tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

pulled the glove box back out on Wednesday and started playing with wires behind there, under the shifter surround, and behind the sunroof switch cover. I verified that the windows and sunroof switches are not getting power (except for the lighting). I disconnected the alarm brain and verified that nothing changed with the windows and sunroof.. also verified that the car started

Today I'm hoping to pull the whole alarm system out.. I have no use for it and it just presents trouble in the long run. Hopefully a little more troubleshooting can be done as well.

glove box comes out easily..

the zke module is the one with the yellow and green plugs. The alarm brain is stashed in there to the right of those modules. Half of the wires you see there are from the alarm system, so I'm looking forward to getting them out.
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

the window and sunroof switches are working again

first thing... I took the car to a friend's place who helped me remove the aftermarket alarm. It was a fairly clean install, so it wasn't difficult to uninstall. So now the M3 is free of most of its non-factory wiring.

before:

removed:

after:

Not surprisingly the window and sunroof switches still didn't work (but at least we eliminated one of the two commonalities between the sunroof and window switch circuits). So we started checking things for power. We verified that the window switches had no power and we verified that the window motors were getting power from the ZKE module.. we also learned pulled the door panel (and noticed that it's pretty broken behind.. need to glue it all back together at some point).

vapor barrier pulled to test the motor for power:

So tested the harness at the sunroof switch for power. That harness powers the front interior lights as well, and we noticed that many of the wires in that area also had no power. So my friend went to the fuse box and started looking at fuses. He looked more closely at the fuse for the interior lighting circuit and told me it looked like it was broken (the oem bmw fuses are solid on the side.. it's really difficult to see if they're not in good shape). He tested the fuse with a multimeter and verified that it was dead. So he grabbed me a good 5A fuse from his stash and suddenly the window and sunroof switches were working.

We then tested all of the 'spare' fuses sitting in the fuse box, and found that over half of them were also dead (which explains why I swapped a couple of fuses from that same location earlier and got no change).

window down

So... in the end it was a 5 amp fuse that had blown, and both of the replacement fuses I had tried were also blown. At least now the car is in working order again, and I can go to the track either on the 27th or the 3rd

Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    I can go to the track either on the 27th or the 3rd
    or not.. they updated their schedule. I guess the only day I can go soon is on November 4th. That'll actually work out better for me. I just hope the weather is nice.

Regular Member benny_mech will become famous soon enough
    Nice! Seems like aftermarket alarm systems are a ticking time bomb in general. I've heard of many related issues, and don't think I'll ever install one.
    “Religion is a defense against the experience of God.”
    — C.G. Jung

The alarm seemed to be working without issue, and the install was pretty clean. It was just a good opportunity to get it out of there

Normal Member ExplosiveToaster will become famous soon enough ExplosiveToaster's Avatar
    Seems like it's coming along well joel! If I can get my brake fluid flushed within the next few weeks I'll try to make it to the 11/4 PR trackday.
    - Mike | My Photos | '16 VW Golf R | '87 Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.3-16

sweet... I'm looking forward to it

just drove the M3 for the first time in two weeks. It's still good

as mentioned elsewhere, the car still won't see track time until December now, where I plan on making it to a Test 'n Tune at Pacific Raceways. I have to keep all of this month's money for the upcoming trip to Texas. Oh well

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by benny_mech View Post
    Nice! Seems like aftermarket alarm systems are a ticking time bomb in general. I've heard of many related issues, and don't think I'll ever install one.
    Doing it correctly is key. All of my aftermarket alarms have been installed by me. No issues and I love the remote start

yeah.. the problem with mine wasn't how it was installed. It was more that I was unable to find a wiring diagram online, and I wasn't sure how to change the settings. It was just easier in the long run to pull it out now. I have no use for it.

went to move the M3 and the clutch dropped to the floor. It looks like the pin connecting the pedal to the input shaft is disconnected or broken.. I'll have to worry about it when I get back home later this month

think I'll have to have the car towed to a shop

it's looking more to be the clutch master cylinder now. I got under the dash and everything looks like it's connected. I don't understand why the brake system seems to be operating normally right now, but I posted a thread on bimmerforums, so we'll see if anyone can help clear that up for me

Regular Member alxdgr8 will become famous soon enough
    Had a similar thing happen to me with my 924S years ago. Was a clutch slave, had to change it in the snow which sucked!
    -Alex @vexartmedia-
    '03 Audi S8 (Avus/Oxblood - DD)
    '92 Porsche 968 (VW 07k 2.5T swap in the works) --- '86 Audi Coupe GT (2.3L 20v swap) ---'83 Audi UrQuattro (2.2L 20vt swap in progress)

yeah.. it's likely either the master or slave cylinder. I'm confused though because the brake fluid reservoir has no loss of fluid and the brake system is working normally, as far as I can tell.

at this point I'll have my car towed to a shop later this week and they'll have to look into it.

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    Best to have them replaced at the same time. They are both moving hydraulic components that have about the same inner dimensions and have been operated the exact same amount of time. If you need a shop to tow it to, I know of one

you're not likely to start work on the car on Friday and you're closed on Saturday, though

but yeah... both will definitely be replaced if we have to get into the hydraulic system. At least then I know they'll probably last the rest of the car's life on track

and... it's a busted slave cylinder. I asked them to replace the master cylinder as well. $$$$, but at least it'll be taken care of now.

Quote: Originally Posted by Rabbit 16v View Post
    Best to have them replaced at the same time. They are both moving hydraulic components that have about the same inner dimensions and have been operated the exact same amount of time. If you need a shop to tow it to, I know of one
    one huge advantage in this case though is that I can take the bus to your shop. I can't take a bus to Broad Stroke Associates

they're good though.. the car is in good shape now and back home thanks to AAA helping me get my car towed.

my new work schedule keeps me from attending most track days right now.. but, then again, none are happening in December and January. Hopefully things will change a little so that I can get to a track day early next year. In the mean time I will continue throwing money at the car
    Last edited by joel; 2012.12.04 at 10:23 AM.

my work schedule changed again... for this month. I now have Saturdays and Mondays off.

So... I'm hoping to make it to the December 15th track day at Pacific Raceways, if it's not raining too much. To prepare for this I scheduled a time to have my flexdisc/guibo, center support bearing (for the driveline), and the rear transmission seals (output shaft and selector shaft) replaced. These things should put the car in pretty good track condition.

I also really need to get the exhaust bits I have onto the car.. but that'll have to wait a while longer still.

A Somebody Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    I also really need to get the exhaust bits I have onto the car.. but that'll have to wait a while longer still.
    Wouldn't it be cheaper to have done at the same time? You have to drop the exhaust to replace all the stuff you are having replaced.

only a little.. it's not as if labor is huge to drop an exhaust and bolt a new one up. I still need to buy block off plates for the EGR ports on the OBD2 headers. I would give them the AA cat-back to bolt up.. but since my exhaust has been welded between the mid-pipes and the cat-back they both have to be replaced at once any way. Any work that is done on the car has to be able to be done in one day with me waiting at the shop.. so I'd rather just make sure they can do the important things that actually affect the car's reliability. I can worry about spending money on performance later.

replacing the guibo/flexdisc, center driveshaft bearing, and the transmission selector shaft seal and shifter bushings today.

I'm also expecting to pick up the second OMP Champ seat and brackets today for the passenger side.. so I can finally give rides

planning on being at Pacific Raceways on Saturday... rain or shine.

+ Reply to Thread