Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: 1995 M3 coupe .. track day car

tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

Normal Member KlokWerk is on a distinguished road
    Hey Joel, I'm back after a long time away.
    The M3 is looking very good! What tires were you running in the wet? How'd it do?

Looking forward to getting some track time this next year. My only New Years Resolution I'm going to make and that is to take more time off from work to get this kind of thing done.

Keep it up man.

Regular Member benny_mech will become famous soon enough
    Hawt damn, Jerry sighting!

Been a while man. I've been busy procreating. How 'bout you?
    “Religion is a defense against the experience of God.”
    — C.G. Jung

Normal Member KlokWerk is on a distinguished road
    Procreating?! OMG what's this world coming to? ROFL. Congrats man.
    I'm doing good. Been busy as hell. The last couple years have had me traveling all over the world. My current project is in Vancouver BC.
    I 'commute' there every week. I'm taking a couple weeks off for the holidays.
    Doesn't leave much time for car stuff. Trying to change that.

good to see you around here Jerry. I was on my Kumho Ecsta XS tires. They are meant to be able to be ok in the rain, and to withstand heat and abuse better. So.. they were definitely the wrong tires for a near freezing day with consistent rain

I spun at turn 8 once.. and got really loose a couple of other times. The car itself is going to be pretty awesome on track I think.. but I know that it will definitely need larger brakes so I can brake deeper with the higher top speeds that I'm not used to coming from the wagon. I managed to brave 120mph before turn 1 once, but averaged 90 - 110 most of the day, and toward the end I was only reaching 60 - 70 at times.. it was just too wet and cold. I'm sure the car would get to 135 or 140 at Pacific Raceways on a good day, but I'd have to be worried about braking at that point. Braking will be even more of a concern going into 3a since it's down hill.

It's too bad that the Porsche Brembo type of upgrade I put on my wagon will probably cost almost twice as much for the M3.. and because the ABS computer isn't as smart it's best to upgrade the rears as well. I'm probably looking at $2500 or so for a "cheap" brake upgrade on the M3. It'd be worth it though.
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

the only problem I did notice at the track is that the car didn't seem to be giving me all of the fuel I needed sometimes, and it appeared to lean out or retard timing at higher rpm's some times. Other times it'd be hugely faster at the higher rpm's. I don't know if this is the chip not being completely correct for what is in the engine, or if it's something else that's not quite right. This wasn't very important on Saturday because it was so wet, but it would definitely affect drivability on dry days, and could obviously hurt the engine.

took it to another track yesterday. I got the tires a little more warmed up, but it was still a cold day and the track was damp most of the day.

video someone shot of my car coming onto the main straight..
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200280419679174
    direct flash link: https://www.facebook.com/v/10200280419679174

my car developed a very serious vibration under braking that I haven't really been able to replicate while driving on the highway. The whole car shook and moved around.. also felt through the steering wheel. I can't tell if it's from the front or rear, but something is definitely loose. I just don't know why I haven't felt it off the track yet. I'll have to drive the car around a little more to try and pin it down.

This will probably be the last track day until the weather warms up more. I bought these tires because I wanted something that would take a beating better than the Star Specs I'm used to, but the other side of that coin is that they are not heating up easily in the cold weather. Oh well. This will give me time to sort out a few of the issues I've come across with these two track days.

I'll have some video at some point.. I recorded a couple of sessions.
    Last edited by joel; 2012.12.30 at 17:29 PM.

here's a long, uncut video of one of my sessions after the track dried out a little. The vibration at the end of the straight is pretty obvious here. I was being pretty careful through some of the turns since I didn't trust the tires, and I purposely missed a couple of apexes due to the track being slippery. You'll see several cars passing me

I also went straight off at Turn 1 on the last full speed lap in this video. I pushed the top speed a bit and ended up deep enough that I didn't trust the tires to keep me from spinning.. so going off straight ended up being the best course of action. No harm done..

new wipers incoming.. Valeo's from tire rack. I need to be able to see!

been around the block a few times EK20 is a jewel in the rough EK20 is a jewel in the rough EK20's Avatar
    Visibility is seriously overrated.
    The soul that pines for eternity shall outspan death. You, dweller of the twilight void, come Dunwich

"I cannot sleep unless I am surrounded by books."
    - Jorge Luis Borges

since the aforementioned track day I've just been busy moving. I did buy new wipers for the car last week so I can see better in the rain. I washed the car for the first time in a few months as well, and the M3 is currently in the garage while my wagon sits outside, very dirty.

it's a month or two away from seeing track time again.. it will depend on weather. I'm keen on getting the car onto some dry track in warmer weather, so the tires can heat up.

Farmer Ron Arsigi is a jewel in the rough Arsigi is a jewel in the rough Arsigi's Avatar
    Your unlucky #13 has brought spam upon this thread!
    Ron a.k.a. Arsigi
    Spokane's Most Posted on here, too...
    FlügenWeb. Späcecode. TwitZöne. Ass Möde.

Euro-Elitist Moderator VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus's Avatar
    Fixed
    SOME PEOPLE ARE NARROW MINDED, OTHERS LIVE IN REALITY ~ EURO-ELITISM

l Arron lSPACE

my 13 remains on the car for good luck

well.. here's the damage:

the missing corner marker is in the car, as is the driver's fog. The passenger fog is gone.

the bumper is gone.. finding a replacement will be tough too, and I'm not sure how much damage exists behind it. I think the undertray helped reinforce it quite a bit.

this is the lower center grille pushed up to the top. The kidney grilles are gone.

grass & straw is everywhere

rear diffuser is missing

overall, the damage isn't at all critical. The radiator is untouched, the fan spins freely, etc. Everything looks ok so far. So, I just need to make sure water is out of the engine and things might be ok.
    Last edited by joel; 2013.04.08 at 04:40 AM.

Regular Member alxdgr8 will become famous soon enough
    Ouch, what happened?
    -Alex @vexartmedia-
    '03 Audi S8 (Avus/Oxblood - DD)
    '92 Porsche 968 (VW 07k 2.5T swap in the works) --- '86 Audi Coupe GT (2.3L 20v swap) ---'83 Audi UrQuattro (2.2L 20vt swap in progress)

Euro-Elitist Moderator VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    my M3 now has a lot of weeds, grass, water, and dirt tucked up inside every hole.. with water soaked carpet, etc. It took a trip into a marshy area close to where I live, thanks to its driver losing control by giving it too much throttle. A $550 Neg 2 ticket, and $168 tow later, the car is in its garage, draining, with the doors/trunk/hood open, and the garage door cracked open, and a fan blowing.

I'll try to look at it more tomorrow.. my only real fear is whether water got into the engine through the 'cold air intake'. The engine was turned off within a couple of seconds after hitting the water... presuming it didn't die as soon as it hit the water. I can't really be sure.

two cars down within 4 days.. that's a record, right?
    he explained in the chit-chat thread. I missed it, too.
    SOME PEOPLE ARE NARROW MINDED, OTHERS LIVE IN REALITY ~ EURO-ELITISM

l Arron lSPACE

yeah, sorry.. didn't feel like copying or retyping in here last night

Regular Member benny_mech will become famous soon enough
    Make sure you pull the spark plugs out before you try to start it!! If there's any water in there, that should blow it out. Reinstall plugs and see if it fires.
    “Religion is a defense against the experience of God.”
    — C.G. Jung

making a list of what I need to buy.... will update over the next few days as I think of things

passenger amber coupe corner lamp
    passenger fog light
    black m3 front bumper skin, with lower grille and lip (possibly: http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/E3...eplaceable-Lip)
    early e36 kidney grilles
    rear m3 diffuser
    valve cover gasket
    spark plugs

jack pad tool: http://www.ecstuning.com/ES259909/
    Motion Motorsport underpanel, and maybe radiator baffle: http://motionmotorsport.net/products...products_id=28
    tow hooks: http://www.akgmotorsport.com/catalog...%20Tow%20Hooks
    header gaskets: http://store.bimmerworld.com/exhaust...-cat-p487.aspx
    EGR blockoff: http://store.bimmerworld.com/m50-egr...996-p1049.aspx
    Last edited by joel; 2013.04.11 at 10:21 AM.

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    Oh now it makes sense! I always wondered how you were supposed to use the factory 'jack holes'!

Quote: Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
    Oh now it makes sense! I always wondered how you were supposed to use the factory 'jack holes'!
    yeah... it's kind of cool, and seriously needed because there are very few usable jack points underneath the car

Regular Member Helios is on a distinguished road Helios's Avatar
    I need to get one of those for the 914...
    -Chris S.

"If they ain't a little too wide, they ain't wide enough!"
    '76 Mk1 / '86 Rocco / '87 XR4Ti / '93.5 SLC / '94 SVT / '95 RS / '03 GC Limited

+ Reply to Thread