Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: 1995 M3 coupe .. track day car

I've been delaying... not worth it any more. I spilled a bunch of oil on the garage floor last night because I couldn't quite get the drain pan under the engine's pan with where I had placed the jack stand.. no fun
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

Regular Member alxdgr8 will become famous soon enough
    Hope the recovery is speedy Joel! Hope the results from the compression check are healthy and it's a (relatively) easy fix.
    -Alex @vexartmedia-
    '03 Audi S8 (Avus/Oxblood - DD)
    '92 Porsche 968 (VW 07k 2.5T swap in the works) --- '86 Audi Coupe GT (2.3L 20v swap) ---'83 Audi UrQuattro (2.2L 20vt swap in progress)

dumped oil out last night and found what appears to be a very small amount of water bubbles. So.. oil change time.
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

so after looking at the spark plugs in more detail, they aren't in horrible shape, but definitely show some wear and maybe a little carbon buildup. The valve cover gasket has also been leaking a little bit of oil into the spark plug holes, so that needs to be replaced soon as well. Time for some tune up

have a new corner marker... guess that's a start.

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough

it runs!

idle is maybe slightly higher and maybe slightly rougher... hard to tell. That could just be spark plugs that need replacing, or it could be that it needs new fuel, or that there was still a lot of water in the exhaust (shot a bunch out when I started it up). Either way, it revs smoothly and sounds like it should. It's promising.

the clutch pedal also engages higher than it did before... not sure what's up with that.

Now I need to pull the undertray so I can drive it without worrying about hitting something on the ground

A Somebody Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody's Avatar
    Yeah!

everyone probably knows me by now girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood's Avatar
    Nice! Hopefully it's all minor things here and there and doesn't need a major over-haul.

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    Nice! Going to take it for a compression test?

everyone probably knows me by now girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood's Avatar
    I have a compression tester if you want to borrow it, too

Excited to hear the beast wasn't slain.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

I borrowed a harbor freight compression tester from my dad.. will use it next chance I get. I also am hoping to change the exhaust soon (need gaskets, etc) .. and need to change to the wheels with the DWS tires

Any ideas why the clutch pedal engagement point would have changed so much?

drove the M3 up & down the street today. The engine sounds & feels good. The clutch and/or transmission has a problem though. It shifts fine, but I hear what sounds like an air leak when I push down on the clutch pedal. The pedal doesn't engage as high as I originally though it did, but it's definitely not working correctly. I'm wondering if either the master or slave cylinder is busted (slave cylinder was replaced a few months ago though), or a line is leaking (flexible lines are all new). Brakes feel ok at low speed (the hydraulic system is shared).

This will be interesting.

Also.. I can't turn left very much.. right-front wheel hits the front bumper. Guess I'll be removing the bumper cover sooner than I thought.

Regular Member benny_mech will become famous soon enough
    The fluid reservoir is shared, but everything else is separate. The master cylinders and clutch slave cylinder/brake calipers have to be separate for clutch and brakes, otherwise pushing the clutch would activate the brakes and/or vise-versa.

I'd make sure the underside of the car is as clean as possible, mark the fluid level in the reservoir, then pump the clutch pedal a bunch of times. Check to see if the fluid level has dropped, and if there's any sign of leaking brake fluid under the car or drips on the ground. Trace the hydraulic lines and look for anywhere a line could have broken loose. Have a friend pump the clutch pedal and see if you can hear air being drawn into the system near the reservoir. If you don't find anything wrong, try bleeding the clutch and brakes and see if the problem goes away.
    “Religion is a defense against the experience of God.”
    — C.G. Jung

yeah, thanks. I'm pretty sure there's something broken with the clutch's hydraulic system, so I'll definitely need to check that out. It's working right now, though engaging higher than it should, but it makes that air leaking noise when I push the pedal in (and not when it's released).

finally able to get the M3 looked at. I'm hoping to take it to a shop on Monday, and hoping to have it back by Wednesday (we'll see).

I pulled the old bumper, underpanel, and wheel well liners out yesterday. I also installed the new kidney grilles (brand new.. nice & shiny) and passenger corner marker. The driver's marker needs to be replaced as well, but it'll work for now. I replaced the trunk gasket with a brand new piece as well. The door gaskets are next

I test fit the new bumper (ordered an aftermarket bumper kit from DDM Tuning a few weeks ago. I'll still need to get it painted, but I'll at put it on temporarily until then.

Now that the bumper and liners aren't rubbing the wheels anymore the car drives nicely. It feels like it did before.. the engine revs nicely.. etc. I do hear a whooshing sound, but I'm wondering if it's just the intake that I'm hearing. The clutch's engagement point is definitely changing though... it varies almost every time I use the pedal. So, it'll be looked at, and hopefully it's just the master cylinder (or slave cylinder again).

I also found the old rear diffuser piece in the marsh area... before it started raining again recently. The marsh was almost completely dry.. so I found the diffuser, which is still in great shape, and I saw a bumper trim piece that I couldn't quite get to. I'll have to get to it once it dries out more

So right now the car is missing everything forward of the wheels and below the headlights. It looks weird.. but it drives again.

took pics.. will get 'em posted eventually.

pics!

new bumper kit from DDM Tuning

replacement fog lights and some other bits

bought a rear diffuser from someone.. then found my old one in the marsh. It needs to be cleaned up though

the jack pads I ordered a couple of months ago. They're OEM.. but they're not at all useful for most floor jacks. They're a hard plastic and will just slide off of most floor jacks.. grr. The car is a pain to jack up safely.

replacement passenger corner lamp and brand new kidney grilles

before shot..

removed the busted Motion Motorsport underpanel. This is likely what ensured that only the bumper cover was damaged

so the bumper rebar can be unbolted from the chassis easily.. just unbolt four bolts that are accessible through the bumper cover. In this way the whole bumper assembly can be removed quite easily. However, if you just want to remove the cover you have to pry out (destroy) 8 plastic rivets. Nothing else holds the bumper cover onto the car.. except a few small screws on the back side. I have new plastic rivets coming today, but I only ordered 4 because it sounded like that's all I needed from what I read online. Now I need to make a dealer run

old busted bumper off. I also found a fog light I thought was missing jammed up inside the car.

decided I needed to remove the fender liners as well.. easier to do that than to temporarily install the new cover so the M3 could be driven. I drove the car to the shop today with no bumper or fender liners.

new bumper test fit.. cracked one tab and broke another minor piece off as well. Going to have to be careful with this thing. It fits nicely though.

installed the new grilles.. so shiny

replaced the trunk gasket as well. Old:

new..

everything in the garage for now

Looking good, joel! Keep it up!
    i am an apex predator and hatchery zombies are my target

picked up the expanding rivet nuts for the bumper today and started assembling things. The bumper obviously still needs to be painted, and that is keeping me from installing the lower grille piece and the lip. I also severely need new fender liners... but I'll get to that a bit later.

The car was looked over today by a bmw mechanic and he drove the car a bit.. it looks and drives nicely to him. I likely was seeing the result of water and possibly rust being in the clutch area.. driving it has made things better. I'm expecting to drive the car to Leavenworth this weekend for my company retreat.

I destroyed a fog light wire by driving the car yesterday and today.. guess I didn't tie it up enough. So, I need to get a new plug wire for a fog light

The M3 still needs the rear diffuser installed.. and I have a few other things to finish up. But it's "back together" for now, until I can get the bumper painted and really finish things.

from the garage.. before starting work today

last 'before' shot for the day

got fogs in the bumper.. this took some work. It's quite the assembly. The fogs are new to me.. and they finally match each other, rather than being slightly different designs.

the fog assembly. The bracket on the right is supposedly attaching to the bumper rebar when the bumper is in place. I didn't bother with it today since the front bumper will come back off soon.

'after' shots.. looks pretty good for what it is

still missing the rear trim piece

I drove the car to Leavenworth on Thursday and back home today, with a little bit of driving in between. It worked very well... drives like it did before, except that the frontend is a bit light at speed (I doubt the m3 lip helps much, but the underpanel I had sure helped).

On the way out I lost my brake ducts. They were a bit worn, but in pretty good shape still. So now I need to spend an extra $70 or so on new brake ducts, along with the new wheel well liners that are needed. Oh well... I'm glad the car wasn't damaged more than just the front bumper, rear diffuser, and some bent metal around the left-rear fender from getting towed out.

Going to get a new underpanel?

yup... just not ready to spend the money yet, and the installation is a bit of a pain as well. It's solid though.. good product.

That's how I felt about my front splitter.

+ Reply to Thread