Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Quattro project

everyone probably knows me by now Jazzydub has a spectacular aura about Jazzydub has a spectacular aura about Jazzydub's Avatar

The Quattro project

So a few weeks ago I pick up this 87 Audi 4000cs Quattro from this cool cat with a beard. So far I have replaced the door handle, thermostat, fan switch, plugs, cap, rotor, control arm bushing, a ball joint, and the e-brake cables.

Runs pretty good. Doesn't like to start when cold and the idle drops when I rev it up and either almost or does stall. Seems to stall at just about every stop sign or stop light when warmed up. Checked for vac leaks and haven't been able to locate any. Any ideas on this issue would be appreciated.

On to a few pictures.

When I first got it.

Testing out the diff locks.

Started polishing it up to get it back from pink to red. Still a lot of work to be done but it definitely looks better.

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    first order of business when dealing with a poor running issue is to check the fuel mixture and timing. You will need to make a test harness to check the fuel mixture though.

everyone probably knows me by now Jazzydub has a spectacular aura about Jazzydub has a spectacular aura about Jazzydub's Avatar
    I'll have to look into that. For now I turned the idle up slightly and it doesn't kick down or stall anymore.

Regular Member DowNnOutDubin is on a distinguished road DowNnOutDubin's Avatar
    Nice, I've been thinking about picking one for awhile now!

always liked the 4k's..
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

The exhaust has some serious holes in it. It doesn't help that every time we put it up on the lift I poke at the holes and make them worse. . I'm going to stop at a couple places on my way home today and get pricing to put a new exhaust system on it. I'm thinking just a standard cat back with a Magnaflow or Flowmaster on the end and just delete the first muffler. I might have them put a resonator in where the first muffler is now. It's hard to hear or find any of the odd noises with the exhaust leaking so bad.

Looks to be in better shape than the 4k I had, nice pickup!

Put a CD player and some speakers in today. Now I can try to mask the exhaust leaks a little.

tunes.. everyone needs them
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

Should have a new motor mount and transmission mounts on Thursday. Need to pick up a valve cover gasket and put it all in. Probably going to have K&G custom auto repair do the exhaust. Said they'd fix it for under $300. Best quote I've gotten so far and they're only a couple minutes from my house. Then I can start addressing the cold starting issues.

Got the new mounts in and played around with the cold start. Couldn't get it to spray without hooking direct power to it so we know the injector works. Looking at the wiring diagram (I'm terrible with wiring diagrams) it looks like it should get power from the starter solenoid to the ecu then to the cold start valve with the fuse box somewhere in there. Doesn't appear to be getting power when cranking it over. I may be looking at this completely wrong.

Correction. Pulled it out again just now and it sprayed like a champ. Coolant wasn't cold enough when we were messing with it but whatever adjustment my buddy made must have fixed it cause it fired right up this morning.
    Last edited by Jazzydub; 2012.09.22 at 10:22 AM.

Normal Member Numbersix will become famous soon enough
    Nice.

I think those are CIS-E, correct (Chris)? If yes, pull the idle air stablizer and give it a nice dose of carb cleaner. They gum up and can cause idle issues. Also, CLEAN EVERY GROUND YOU FIND IN THE CAR...starting with the engine compartment. I also can't recommend enough taking every engine wiring harness plug off, spraying it with DeOxit, plugging it in/out a few times to work it in, and then giving it a dab of dilectric grease. This worked WONDERS on my old Mk2 GLI as well as my Quantum Syncro Wagon (same drivetrain as the 4kq). Smoothed out the idle and got rid of an intermittent miss.

Yep it's CIS-E. When it was cold first thing in the morning it fired right up. Later in the day it didn't want to start again. I'm getting the exhaust fixed on Thursday then I'm going to dive into the other issues. Cleaning the idle stabilizer is next on my list. Thanks for the suggestion of cleaning all the plugs. I've found a couple not making a good connection so that's a damn good idea.

what's wrong with the exhaust/what's being fixed?

It was rotted out. Giant hole in the piping (doesn't help that I poked at it every time it was in the air) between the first and second muffler with holes in both mufflers. They cut the first muffler out and replaced the second one. I've now found out there is a crack in the cat that is leaking that he couldn't weld up. It would be another $200 to replace it. It's still pretty loud but sounds a lot better. My neighbor can weld so I may just cut the cat out. Gotta look at where the o2 sensor is before I decide. If it's pre-cat then it shouldn't affect anything. If it's in the cat then I suspect it may change how the car runs.

Steam cleaned the engine bay about a week ago. Wow does that thing remove the oil and grime easy. Found that a bunch of the valve cover bolts were only finger tight. Tightened them up a little and it doesn't leak near as bad. Still need to replace it.

how did you steam clean the engine? I need to do this..

My neighbor owns an electric motor rewind business and they have a steam cleaner.

Sorta like this but a lot older.
    Last edited by Jazzydub; 2012.09.28 at 09:28 AM.

ahh... this doesn't help me then

It possibly could.

that would be extremely helpful. The car basically can't run at most track days if there's any hint of oil leaks.. and cleaning this mess off of the car after 2 - 3 years isn't easy.

What are usually good days for you? I'll ask him next time I talk to him.

saturday, sunday, monday.. though I'm often doing something on the weekends that limits the times I'm free.

Cleaned out the idle stabilizer valve today. Runs a little smoother.

Found 3 different vacuum leaks today. I have a feeling there is a lot more. I'm going to pick up some vacuum line and just start replacing all the lines in the engine bay. Anyone know the size? Is it 3.5mm ID for the majority of the small lines?

I was looking for parts on Craigslist and came across an ad for a bunch of parts in Monroe. After emailing the guy a few times I realized it is an old friend from high school. Sounds like he has all kinds of random parts for my car. Going to try and go over there this afternoon and see what I can get. Hopefully I'll get a good cat and a speedometer/odometer that works. Small world.

+ Reply to Thread