Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My first VW

Regular Member alxdgr8 will become famous soon enough

My first VW

My garage is now all VAG...If you ignore the couple of Japanese bikes.

I've been looking for a few months to replace my Nissan Frontier with a Touareg since I find myself using the "truck" part very little. Figured I will pick up a small utility trailer for when I need to carry big stuff. After test driving a 2007 V10TDI and having smoke pour out of the hood during the test drive due to a bad turbo I decided I better look for a V6 TDI. Really would've liked the air suspension (special order only on 09/10) and the tech package, but this will do and I got a pretty good deal on it. Already loving the gas mileage, got 27mpg at 75mph on the drive home. Also nice that it can tow 1500lbs more than my truck! Now I just need to get the OEM hitch and wiring.

This is car #15 (in 10 years) and is my first automatic! And first diesel.

Last edited by alxdgr8; 2012.12.03 at 19:17 PM.
    -Alex @vexartmedia-
    '03 Audi S8 (Avus/Oxblood - DD)
    '92 Porsche 968 (VW 07k 2.5T swap in the works) --- '86 Audi Coupe GT (2.3L 20v swap) ---'83 Audi UrQuattro (2.2L 20vt swap in progress)

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    Congrats! That v6 TDI is a beast! Too bad it is only offered in auto in this country.

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    Nice!

nice! I hope the Touareg lasts for you. That engine will be worth it.

first piece of advice: Learn how to spell the name of your new car
    We get this all the time in the SportWagen forum on the vortex... people call it a Sport Wagon or Sportswagen
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

Regular Member benny_mech will become famous soon enough
    Quote: Originally Posted by Rabbit 16v View Post
    Congrats! That v6 TDI is a beast! Too bad it is only offered in auto in this country.
    X2. I'm currently looking at Xterras and Jeep Rubicon Wranglers, 'cause they're about the only modern SUV's you can get with a manual.
    “Religion is a defense against the experience of God.”
    — C.G. Jung

Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    nice! I hope the Touareg lasts for you. That engine will be worth it.

first piece of advice: Learn how to spell the name of your new car
    We get this all the time in the SportWagen forum on the vortex... people call it a Sport Wagon or Sportswagen
    Oops, guess I did misspell it! I had it right in my sig

Quote: Originally Posted by benny_mech View Post
    X2. I'm currently looking at Xterras and Jeep Rubicon Wranglers, 'cause they're about the only modern SUV's you can get with a manual.
    That's one of the reasons I bought my Frontier and got the 6spd, but so far I'm not missing it. Auto's do have their advantages for towing and offroading. The Touareg trans so far is very nice compared to many auto's that I've driven.
    -Alex @vexartmedia-
    '92 Porsche 968 (VW 07k 2.5T swap in the works) --- '86 Audi Coupe GT (2.3L 20v swap) ---'83 Audi UrQuattro (2.2L 20vt swap in progress)

That's cool. You're actually making me reconsider my options a bit. I would still kick each and every employee of the EPA in the yambag (or wedge, as applicable) for a diesel Rubicon Unlimited with a manual. (I kid, I kid)
    — C.G. Jung

The Grand Cherokee will have a diesel, air suspension, and low-range gearbox early next year. A diesel Rubicon would be fun though!
    -Alex @vexartmedia-

I want a diesel Toyota truck... please
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    ^that
    -Tyler-

Euro-Elitist Moderator VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus's Avatar
    Grats on joining the Touareg family! :thumbsup:

I've heard nothing but horrible things about the V10, so I think it's good that you were deterred so quickly. We have an '05 V6 NA, and love it, but a TDI would be awesome.
    SOME PEOPLE ARE NARROW MINDED, OTHERS LIVE IN REALITY ~ EURO-ELITISM

l Arron lSPACE

You can't safely run chains on the factory 19's so I started looking for some 17's with any kind of tire on them. I need to be able to fit chains as I'll be towing a car in January and it doesn't matter if you have 4WD or snow tires, chains are required for tow vehicles if there's snow. Found a set with studded Hankooks on CL for cheap, now to get some chains!

-Alex @vexartmedia-

will 17s fit over the brakes?

fwiw.. I'd also take a Nissan Frontier or Xterra with a good diesel engine. It's super silly that we don't have such an option in the US.

will 17s fit over the brakes?

fwiw.. I'd also take a Nissan Frontier or Xterra with a good diesel engine. It's super silly that we don't have such an option in the US.
    Yep (barely), a few models had 17's stock.

Nissan is supposedly working on a diesel Titan with a small Cummins due in a year or two. Still would like to see one in a mid-size, full-size trucks are just too big for me. If Ford built a crew cab ranger with the EcoBoost V6 and 6spd I would buy one in a second.
    -Alex @vexartmedia-

yeah... I'd want a mid-size truck or suv. I have no freakin' clue why Toyota doesn't bring a diesel Tacoma over here. Oh well..

Farmer Ron Arsigi is a jewel in the rough Arsigi is a jewel in the rough Arsigi's Avatar
    Very nice.
    Ron a.k.a. Arsigi
    Spokane's Most Posted on here, too...
    FlügenWeb. Späcecode. TwitZöne. Ass Möde.

yeah... I'd want a mid-size truck or suv. I have no freakin' clue why Toyota doesn't bring a diesel Tacoma over here. Oh well..
    It's expensive for companies to develop the emissions systems to meet the stringent US specs, that 3/4 ton and bigger trucks aren't subject to. That's why your wagon has 14 catalytic converters, and a DPF, but the Duramax/Cummins/PowerStroke crowd can churn out coal locomotive style smoke plumes all day. The Merc Bluetec diesels pump in that adBlue urea shit into their motors to pass. I think US demand is increasing though. There are no less than 5 people in my office alone that would snatch up a diesel Hilux tomorrow if it were for sale.

I realize I'm preaching to the choir here, so just consider the above a rant.
    — C.G. Jung

21.6 mpg on my first tank with 70% city driving. 550 miles for the tank. 12% improvement in cost/mile over my truck in a suv that is an auto and weighs 1000 lbs more. Lovin' diesel!
    -Alex @vexartmedia-

nice

Ready to tow! Can't wait to go pick up the new 968 next weekend.
    Installed the factory hitch along with a Softride aluminum ball mount and Rapid Hitch greaseless hardball.
    Mounted the winter wheels/tires. Test fit the snow chains.
    Installed 5000K HID's into projectors.

17" wheels with studded snows:

Chains:

Hitch:

Headlights (HID vs stock):

Last edited by alxdgr8; 2012.12.31 at 18:27 PM.
    -Alex @vexartmedia-

Quote: Originally Posted by alxdgr8 View Post
    studded snows

I hate studded snow tires. They tear the shit out of our roads and we get so little snow they hardly help at all. /rant

Everything else is cool.
    — C.G. Jung

Quote: Originally Posted by benny_mech View Post

I hate studded snow tires. They tear the shit out of our roads and we get so little snow they hardly help at all. /rant

Everything else is cool.
    You can replace them for me, I'd gladly take a free set of non-studded snows
    Not my first choice but they came on the wheels so they're what I'm running.
    -Alex @vexartmedia-

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    considering your locale, you really dont need snow tires at all..

studs.. evil, unless you spend a lot of time in mountains during the winter.

I'm completely envious of you having a tow vehicle though

+ Reply to Thread