Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: financial dirt, for those that are interested

financial dirt, for those that are interested

Let me make this clear.. this is a community-driven site in every way. As such, no one working on this project will be making any money. However there are costs. Gratefully, a few community members have already given some money in order to help pay for this forum software (thanks guys!!!!). The forum is currently running on my personal server (which I already pay for on my own). However, this server is slow, which means that as this site grows it will need to move to its own dedicated server. When that happens there will be a recurring cost of about $150/month.

This is a business friendly site. Community businesses are free, and encouraged, to respond to questions, host gtg's, etc. However, if a business or person wishes to create threads to specifically promote a money-making venture (business), sell products, post in the classified section, or if someone wants to have banner ads on the site, we will be accepting a small monthly sponsorship to help cover the costs of this site. This is a great opportunity for smaller and new ventures to help support the community and to get their name out! PM me if you want to discuss this part further.

I am also tossing around the idea of accepting direct donations, using Google text ads (which don't pay unless someoen clicks on them), and providing photo galleries for a small monthly fee. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Post any questions you have regarding money and how this site is funded, or send me an IM.

so now that I'm more awake, I want to make it clear that we do not need any further money at this time, other than what has already been offered up by others for the forum software (again.. hugely appreciated!). However, as the site grows, money will become an issue. As this is a community project and this will not be a money-making venture, I wanted to keep this sort of thing a little more open than you might be used to.

where ads could go for interested businesses. I'm not interested in having ads posted inside the threads themselves, like many other vbulletin forums do.

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    I was hoping you would call or something. Just let me know when you need help man. I want to be a part of this, but not like a dick swinging like that OTHER site. I went to your FB page tonight and saw you had posted about needing help with software and such. for some reason I never saw that. either way, hit me up when its time to upgrade. I am totally willing to help.

Quote: Originally Posted by Rabbit 16v View Post
    I was hoping you would call or something. Just let me know when you need help man. I want to be a part of this, but not like a dick swinging like that OTHER site. I went to your FB page tonight and saw you had posted about needing help with software and such. for some reason I never saw that. either way, hit me up when its time to upgrade. I am totally willing to help.
    I know you are. My personal server us handling this fine right now so we'll keep using UT, at least for the next couple of weeks. The site is still in a developmental stage, so we'll talk about things further once we're closer to opening it all up.

Thanks Chris.

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    No problem man. As it stands right now, it is pretty nice. We have standard deviants that are enjoying it as well as regular upstanding contributors here. not sure what category I fall under, but its probably some of both

haha.. defintely. Unfortunately I'm not going to have much time to think about this site this week, but I'll get back to it full-bore after next weekend.

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    Let us know how much the new server will cost, and maybe we could get the money together in chunks?

The projected cost is listed in the first post here. I'll try to confirm that cost this week sometime..

okay.. exact pricing for the cheaper servers here would be $154/month for 250gb space. Add $20/month for 500gb space, and add another $10/month for 1TB of space (only reason more space is needed is if we decide to host people's photos, etc. If not, 250gb is more than enough.

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    Ah, at what population level does it need to switch to a new server? or, is it not population and just use? I know you have said that once it goes live it will probably need to switch, but if the rate of growth is slow and progressive. You might be able to collect funds over time until the ball really gets rolling or at least set up those advertising ideas to gain funds.

It's really tough to know right now, since the forum isn't very active right now. This doesn't give me many numbers to run on. The good news is that the server load is generally still very low, so I believe there will be a large enough buffer that will give us some time to work on the money for a faster server.

Now if the forum usage increases rather quickly (which could easily happen), then the new server will be needed much more quickly. This is really determined by overall site usage and not simply the number of users. If we have someone whoring up the forums like ek20 did, that will create a much higher load than 10 other users who might check one thread once a day.

I've been watching server regularly so far, so I'll keep people updated once I see it peaking higher than where it should be.

As far as money goes, I will probably be accepting 'sponsorships' from businesses asap, for who want to have those extra rights on the forum. Any money received would simply go into the pool for paying for the server.

Chris, or anyone else, do you think that many businesses will have a problem paying for ads on this site when the site is not an actual legal business? I'm okay with getting a business license if needed (which would mostly just mean extra paperwork, since total annual costs are just over $1800... not exactly enough to have to pay taxes, iirc), but I'd rather not if it's not necessary.

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    the break-over for filing taxes on income (sponsorships) is $600
    Last edited by twardnw; 2010.03.03 at 09:35 AM.
    -Tyler-

thought it was a bit higher in this state..

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    it's a federal thing, I just checked with our bookkeeper. If an individual (vendor, person, company, whoever), pays > $600 to you, in one year, you have to file taxes on it.
    -Tyler-

okay.. but what about total income?

(⌐■_■)
    as long as you don't get more than $600 from a single place, you don't have to claim it.

FWIW, I would set up a separate bank account just for things relating to the website.
    -Tyler-

yeah.. I've been thinking about it. I'll admit I'm a little worried about taking in any money at all since this is essentially a non-profit project, even though the state or federal government couldn't recognize it as non-profit.

I've been through taking an organization from being 'unofficial' to being a recognized non-profit in the past. Thankfully this project here wouldn't be as drama-filled as it was when I was on the board of that group

Joel, I personally dont care if its a ligit business or not. I just write it off at the end of the year as advertising expenses. I think Twtard is correct about designating a specific bank account to this site as I think it will become big, fast, if it goes public. I have no problem throwing in $150 per month. It will be the most I have spent on advertising with a no-end commitment, but I am cool with that. I am just weary of it turning into that OTHER site that has become so money driven that only children sign up there now. Well, mostly, there are those of us that still act like children....

Okay, so, since I lost my job with the datacenter on Friday, the server cost will be going up. I hadn't considered this as even being an option anywhere in the visible future so I wasn't ever planning on needing to spend more than that ~$150/month or so. The good news is that my current server will work just fine for a while..

Once I have time to settle in, get some resumes sent out, etc., I'll be able to focus some time back to this site and will figure out costs then. Sorry it's taking a little longer to get things going now... just had a bit of an unexpected life issue.

Keep us posted on this. dont let it go under we are behind you. but not like that

I won't go anywhere.. no worries there. I'll let people know what the money situation looks like as soon as I know more.

so, good news.. the above server quote doesn't change even though I'm not working there any more

PNW Most Hated bucknasty! is an unknown quantity at this point bucknasty!'s Avatar
    Prices on advertising?

you can PM me if you're interested..

+ Reply to Thread