Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Danno's Daily MK2 GTI

President, MK2 Society trip permit has a spectacular aura about trip permit has a spectacular aura about trip permit's Avatar

Danno's Daily MK2 GTI

Today has been a busy friday morning for me. Found a 91 GTI that someone couldn't finish anymore... So I loaded it up and brought it back to Puyallup with me to my shop space. I already began digging into it and cleaning it up. It has sat for a while now, been finding some nice treasures, see below.

Anyways, here it is all loaded up before I hit I-5:

Here is one of the treasures I got with the car and his home:

Car pulled off tow dolly at its new home for now (pre-cleaning):

Went through and pulled all the garbage and remains out:

Pile of parts that came with it:

Tucked away with its sister:

Overall, it should be a fun car. Still need to move some things to the shop including a hose so I can wash it... So stay tuned for more updates.

Normal Member AlexPirate will become famous soon enough
    Back at the old shop space eh? BBQ time soon!
    Looking for VOIP solutions? Contact Me

President, MK2 Society trip permit has a spectacular aura about trip permit has a spectacular aura about trip permit's Avatar
    Yes sir. I am in the old dyno unit... Ah, forgot you don't have FB... Selena and Luis have already been discussing that.

What are you guys up to this sunday?

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    damn, wish there was shop space like that around the 'couve
    -Tyler-

Normal Member AlexPirate will become famous soon enough
    Well i need to work a bit on Sunday but after that is sounds like we'll be hanging out in Puyallup BBQing
    Looking for VOIP solutions? Contact Me

Sounds good, we talked about it a little tonight.

Spent a few more hours on the MK2 tonight...

Started digging out the interior so I can clean all the carpets, get all the smelly sound deadeners out, redo the vapor barriers, switch out the kneebar to shelves, clean up wiring, remove dash and do a heater core, etc..

Some pictures of the progress:

More parts begin to pile up:

Car cleaned up nicely after a wash:

(still need to remove that sticker on the fender)

That is all I got done for today, I am beat... Had to rent the uhaul truck/dolly, drive an hour each way to get the GTI, get the shop space, take the uhaul truck back, moved a couple mk2 loads worth of tools/stuff to the shop and then tore into the GTI for about 5 hours washing it and gutting it. Not bad for day 1, plan on spending a good chunk of my weekend working on it.
    Last edited by trip permit; 2013.01.25 at 20:59 PM.

Quote: Originally Posted by twardnw View Post
    I wish there was shop space like that anywhere. Maxispace is pretty decent, but it's only around the Tacoma area. I looked hard for anything like it north of Seattle.. nothing like it exists.
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

what are the plans dan? 8v? 16v?
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

Quote: Originally Posted by twardnw View Post
    Yeah its nice when you don't have a large garage at your house. Also, really nice to just walk away, lock up and set the alarm haha.

Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    I wish there was shop space like that anywhere. Maxispace is pretty decent, but it's only around the Tacoma area. I looked hard for anything like it north of Seattle.. nothing like it exists.
    I have searched too, nothing compares...

Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    what are the plans dan? 8v? 16v?
    As of right now, budget is only allowing to do a mild restore and a reliable 8v. Just not sure if I want to do a mk2 8v setup or find a mk3 donor car. Here is my last white GTI, if you remember... It will be similar to this I'd imagine:

This GTI will get handme downs from the red GTI as I put more money into that car. This is going to be built to be a clean and reliable daily.

Spent a few more hours on the GTI today... Mostly on the engine bay..

Before:

After:

Plans are to clean and fix up the battery tray location and then paint the bay. Not going to go crazy, on the bay... Just going to clean it up and make it look OEM.

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    looking good!

Looks good so far.

everyone probably knows me by now girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood's Avatar
    Awesome, man! I'll definitely be checking out the garage. If you're ever needing a hand or anything, you know where I'll be.

Quote: Originally Posted by buddylove View Post
    looking good!
    Quote: Originally Posted by CRacer21 View Post
    Looks good so far.
    Thanks guys, got a bit to go... But just going through it with my last GTI, I learned a few things on what to do and not to do.

Quote: Originally Posted by girdwood View Post
    Awesome, man! I'll definitely be checking out the garage. If you're ever needing a hand or anything, you know where I'll be.
    Sounds good man. Pretty much every Sunday unless posted otherwise, there will be a GTG at noon.

Spent about 7 hours tonight at the shop... For the first bit I was moving things around and trying to get the most out of my shop space. As well as working on my red GTI a bit (oil change and other misc things). I think I figured it out how I want to utilize the space for now anyways. I am able to pull 2 MK2s in easily, shut both the bay doors and open all car doors, hatches, hoods and walk around with ease.

Picture of my danno-space:

What the inside of the GTI looked like when I started tonight:

Pulled out dash and non a/c heater box so I can replace the heater core and redo the heater box flaps inside with new foam.

Once the dash and front half of the carpet was out, I was able to pull out all the water soaked sound deadening and crap from under it... Pulled out about 50lbs of soggy, smell crap:

Dash out, soggy deadening out, and whole inside cleaned and whipped down with multipurpose cleaner:

Also pulled the front door cards so I can replace the non-existent door barriers:

Overall, I spent a bit of timing trying to remove any old smell and smell of the dead mouse I found earlier. The good news is, I found no chewed up wires or anything from him. Looks like he just chilled in the hatch until he got smashed. Well, I plan on spending a bit more time at the shop throughout the week. I would guess I am about 20 hours into this MK2 already, but trying to do everything "right" and keep it really clean. Stay tuned for more updates.

So last night/this morning I left the shop about 1am after the update above.. Went home and instead of bed I ate and showered then returned back to my shop space until I had to leave for work. Decided to clean it up some more, remove the passive seat belt crap and also redo my vapor barriers. I am pleased with the material (shower liner) and a new very sticky tape I found (scotch - was very sticky).

Anyways here they are:

Now I just need to clean up the wiring, hook back up the fuse box, do my heater core and heater box flaps (re-foam), then I can put my dash and interior in.

haha... nice vapor barriers

sleep

They are nice huh? Shower liner should do good, better than using a trash bag, and cheaper than painters plastic.

I do sleep from time to time. I also always have a sleeping bag and pillow in the back of my mk2 incase I need a nap at work.

Quote: Originally Posted by trip permit View Post
    Spent a few more hours on the GTI today... Mostly on the engine bay..

Before:

After:

Plans are to clean and fix up the battery tray location and then paint the bay. Not going to go crazy, on the bay... Just going to clean it up and make it look OEM.
    Well I have only been able to spend a few hours here and there... I started prepping the bay even more from the photos above. I am going to fix up the frame rail areas with por15, then primer and paint the bay. Here is where I am at on the bay currently:

Also continued on cleaning up the wiring and getting ready for a dash to go back in. So far every part of the harness I am using is uncut/un-spliced which is awesome! Here are some pictures of the cleaned up wiring with the fuse box installed and everything plugged in thus far:

A before shot of the wiring mess:

I plan on spending more time on this now that the shop space is more setup and will start having some paychecks again after being laid off for the holidays.
    Last edited by trip permit; 2013.02.10 at 22:53 PM.

Went to a junkyard this week and found A LOT of parts needed for this car. Here are some pictures of the parts found:

I found recaro door panels at the yard so I put those in my 92 GTI and have the ones above for my 91. Its nice being able to upgrade one car and complete another. Got a full black carpet kit, black a/b/c pillars, black rear speaker trays, 16v red striped dash, hard rain tray with ecu cover, sunroof panel in black, misc black hardware for interior and a set of h4 single rounds.

Going to collect more parts before I resume work on this car though. Need to find a non a/c box, rebuild it and install a new heater core. Ah mk2s...
    Last edited by trip permit; 2013.02.22 at 01:52 AM.

Picked up these lap belts for this car:

Haven't been able to do much with this car. Got some suspension so I can make it a roller. Also cleaned the carpet kit so its nice and black! Need to get another non a/c box lined up as well as a heater core before the interior can go in. This week I am going to try and gather the needed parts.

+ Reply to Thread