Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Just another MK4

Normal Member 90mk2golf will become famous soon enough 90mk2golf's Avatar

Just another MK4

Out with the old in with the new. Sold the MK2 and made room for my new daily. I bought this car planning on keeping it totally stock but that didn't last long. I bought a set of Raceland coilovers for the car about two months after I got the car, mainly as a cheep replacement for the tired old suspension.

I was happy with that for a week or two, but I got the urge to get a set of wheels. So after a long day at work trolling the PNW for sale section on vortex I got luck on a first page refresh, someone had JUST posted a set of 5x100 LM reps for sale. He was asking only $200 for the set, lightly used, no curb rash, no bends, and he was throwing in a set of 5mm spacers. I posted and PMed him not even one min after the ad was posted. After a drive to Vancouver WA to pick up the wheels I got to work stripping and powdercoating the wheels a candy teal color.

Sadly for my bank account it wasn't long before I wanted even more out of the car. I was past the point of just a daily to me by this point. I was considering a K04, 3in downpipe full exhaust, intake, front mount, and a tune. After thinking about it I decided to keep the car mechanically reliable but go for that stance look. Air ride is what I chose to do next. I went with the least expensive method of doing air ride, manual paddle valves and needle gauges to show pressure. I have a single compressor to fill a five gallon tank that is powdercoated to match the wheels, Airlift rear bags, and UAS bag over struts in the front.

After all that I still wasn't happy with how the car sat aired out, it wasn't as low as it could get because the front coils needed to be set high so the wheel would clear the air bag and the rear was landing on bump stops. If that wasn't all the wheels just didn't look right in the wells. So after a week of waiting for parts to arrive the car was back on the lift receiving 15mm spacer in the front, 10mm in the back, and IDF drop plates to center the rear wheel in the well while lowering the car 27mm and adding 3 degrees of negative camber. Before I took it down off the lift I installed a hybrid oil pan from ECS Tuning and was sure to adjust the front coils lower and cut the bump stops out.

This is as far as I have gotten with the car, I'm sure if I don't get bored and sell it I may go for the performance mods next.

I've heard this car is kind of unique being four door, manual, 1.8 turbo and candy white.

THE MOD LIST
    BBS LM reps powdercoated 2 stage candy teal
    Raceland coilovers
    Airlift manual paddle valves
    Airlift dual needle air gauges x2
    custom machined air manifold for valves
    VIAIR 440c compressor
    ACCUAIR 5gl aluminum tank (color match to the wheels)
    Airlift rear bags
    UAS front bag overs
    IDF drop plates

weird.. I never thought that air lines would go directly to the switches. I figured the switches would send electrical signals to the actual air lines elsewhere.
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    weird.. I never thought that air lines would go directly to the switches. I figured the switches would send electrical signals to the actual air lines elsewhere.
    manual switches= less expensive and more reliable.

Farmer Ron Arsigi is a jewel in the rough Arsigi is a jewel in the rough Arsigi's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by 90mk2golf View Post
    I've heard this car is kind of unique being four door, manual, 1.8 turbo and candy white.
    I used to think that, too. Still, nice to see another one!
    Ron a.k.a. Arsigi
    Spokane's Most Posted on here, too...
    FlügenWeb. Späcecode. TwitZöne. Ass Möde.

Normal Member 90mk2golf will become famous soon enough 90mk2golf's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by Rabbit 16v View Post
    manual switches= less expensive and more reliable.
    That's right.

+ Reply to Thread