Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Mr.Nobody's ever changing daily driver MKII Jetta

A Somebody Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody's Avatar

Mr.Nobody's ever changing daily driver MKII Jetta

I figured I would finally make a thread to track progress on my car, since I about to do refresh of the entire car. I am touching a lot of bases with the refresh, brakes, suspension, interior, stereo, tune up, chipped ecu and a couple of changes to the outside.

A little history I am the third owner and have had it almost 7 years. The first 2 years I really didn't do anything to it other than the initail clean up and tune up. I had to rebuild the dash before I could really start driving it it had been broken into while it was sitting for sale. These are the only pictures I have from then. These were probably about three months after I had bought it and had gotten ready for my 100 mile round trip commute at the time.

Thats how it looked from 5/06-12/08

In the beginning of 09' I got some new wheels and H&R springs and a badgeless grill.

09' Leavenworth Cruise

During 09' into 10' I did a bunch of little things but as you can probably tell I am horrible at documenting the changes in pictures. One the reasons for starting this thread.

A couple shots from the 10' Leavenworth Cruise

Here are some pics of it the day before the 11' Leavenworth Cruise and are the closes to what it looks like now.

Current interior shot

Thats all for now I will post more about it tomorrow and as the refresh goes on. And be more in depth about all the little changes I have done to it over the years.
    Last edited by Mr.Nobody; 2013.03.01 at 23:07 PM.

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough

A Somebody Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody's Avatar
    I guess I should make a current stat list:

91' Jetta
    223,xxx miles
    original 8v engine
    New no code tranny from fine tuning (maybe if Chris sees this he can give more info about what it is)
    1st gear 3.45 2nd 2.05 3rd 1.37 4th 1.03 5th .085. Final drive is 3.81

The mod list,

Under the hood:
    Eurosport cold air intake with a K&N filter instead of the ITG foam filter
    Techtonics Tuning high flow cat and cat back exhaust with a Flowmaster muffler
    BFI solid billet front engine mount
    Deleted all the cruise control crap

Transmission:
    The already mentioned new no code tranny
    Tectonics Tuning short shifter
    Neuspeed shifter weight
    G60 solid rubber mount

Lighting:
    Smoked Euro E-Codes with city lights
    City lights are control by a working blank dummy switch
    Added factory big bumper fog lights, wired in with a piaa relayed fog light harness to a factory switch. And modified with MKIII fog light projectors.
    Smoked turn signals and side marker lights

Exterior:
    Added oem painted side view mirrors from a GTI.
    GLI aero windshield wiper spoiler
    Grill eyebrow
    I have a rotation of three grills new oem 3 bar badged, 7 slate and 3 bar badgeless
    Armor door plates
    This one nobody ever notices volkswagen engraved door handle inserts

Interior:
    Changed from grey carpet to black
    Got rid of the knee bar for under dash trays
    Early diesel long center console
    OEM black c-pillars
    cabin air filter
    MOMO Race steering wheel
    VW Motorsports one piece shift knob and boot
    Agla leather e-brake boot
    VW Craft dual a-pillar gauge pod
    VDO oil temp and pressur gauges
    All dash lighting converted to blue LED
    Change the foam liner in the trunk to black carpeted liner
    Oem vw monster floor mats
    TT pedal covers
    I think thats every thing

Suspension:
    H&R Sport Cup Kit
    Euro sport lower tie bar, front and rear upper strut braces
    G60 strut mounts

Wheels:
    BBS RG-F 16x7 et 35

Stereo:
    Pioneer head unit
    Sirius radio
    Infinity Reference spereates in the front and coaxils in the rear deck
    I made my own tweeter mounts for the factory speaker dash spot

RockerFosgate mono amp and 12" sub

I think that covers everything for now. Heading out in a bit to start working on it.

Everything looks good in white. Love the door handle inserts.

Clean doesn't even begin to describe this...immaculate comes close. Waw.

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    except for the DS rear door... [avoids getting punched]

but seriously, the car is super clean. I can check on those ratios on monday..

Quote: Originally Posted by CRacer21 View Post
    Everything looks good in white. Love the door handle inserts.
    Thanks!
    Quote: Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
    Clean doesn't even begin to describe this...immaculate comes close. Waw.
    I wouldn't call it immaculate right now, it's probably the dirtest it has ever been.

Quote: Originally Posted by Rabbit 16v View Post
    except for the DS rear door... [avoids getting punched]
    If I had a dollar for every conversation with someone about my car that started or ended with "Nice car, to bad about the door", I could afford to grab any door and have it repainted. I swear everytime there is a alpine white car in pick-n-pull the same door is ****ed up.

The paint really needs to be buffed to take some of the scratches out, I keep trying to get my little brother to do it as he has been a professional detailer for about 10 years(?). But I think the new place he is at is pretty strict about doing friends and familys cars for free.

Todays progress report, I cleaned every electrical connection I could think of under the hood, changed out the cheap after market ground cable with a OEM one out of a MKIII, put a new used air flow meter in it, and changed the plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor, also cleaned the icv. And did a little OEM plus clean project that I think came out good refer to the up coming pictures for info.

Todays box of parts

The starting point for the day

New used OEM Mkiii ground cable and the cheap after market one that has always been in it

Before

After

And the OEM plus clean up project, ever since I have owned the car the way the spark wires just are kinda there like octopus arms has driven me nuts and yes I have OCD. But really no matter what I did they looked messy.

So the other week when I was tuning up my gf's MkIII golf I had a light bulb go off! I went to pick-n-pull and grabbed the mounts and wire holder off of a 2.0 MkIII and I think outcome is a much cleaner looking engine bay.

The bay at the end of the day

Didn't really get as far as I wanted to today, but I am in no hurry.
    Last edited by Mr.Nobody; 2013.03.02 at 22:13 PM.

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    I see some dirt and your eurosport sticker has an issue

Sorry. I couldnt help myself. Looks great man!

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    Looking good

Super clean wire install.

Did a quick little friday night project, installed a Bosch ecu and DigiFast2 chip and my right foot butt dyno is very happy so far!

Going for a long drive in the morning to get a real good feeling for it.
    Last edited by Mr.Nobody; 2013.03.08 at 18:16 PM.

Nice! How much hp is it suppose to add?

It suppose to give up to 11hp and 7ft/lbs of torque between 2500 and 5900 rpm. It sure felt like it is and right where it's supposed to. The Digilag is gone also(hesitation off the line).

So after 50 miles with the new chip I am very happy! Off the line and part throttle third gear runs are much better. Car definately has more pep in it's step. Only negative so far is when it's cold or been sitting for awhile the idle is a little bouncy upon start up, but soons as you go a block it's fine.The instructions said you might need to fine tune the idle a little, but it really isn't that bad I will see how it does this week and play with it next weekend.

Only did one project today lost motivation after lunch and I am not feeling completely healthy. Ran to pick-n-pull to get a MKIII positive cable to go along with the negative one. It is a lot thicker and the car starts way easier now. It looks a little messier than before though , but everything is easier to disconnect now.

Need to figure why all my pics that post are so big.

How do you fine tune the idle for it?

This thing is right on!
    I'm all jacked up on Mountain Dew!

Quote: Originally Posted by buddylove View Post
    How do you fine tune the idle for it?
    Just got to adjust the idle air bypass screw..

Quote: Originally Posted by rainierfuller View Post
    This thing is right on!
    Thank you!

Ah, wasn't sure if it was programmable some how.

having seen this car a few times now... it's definitely clean
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

Still trying to decide if I am going to mess the idle at all. It only hunts for the first couple of minutes when I first start it when it's completely cold. But it's fine by the tim I hit the stop sign at the end of the block (like a half block). It's perfect from then on and starting when it's still a little warm. I am afraid if I try to tweek it at all it will get pissy all the time.

Pulled everything out and mocked it up for the rear sway, going to install it this weekend I think.

Got the rear sway bar installed tonight and I am very happy with it! Took it for some test runs on some local roads I know very well and drive often so I could easly tell a difference. Wanted to get it installed before I changed the front sway bar end links and the struts for the same reason. Was really happy how easily I was able to install it by myself.

Felt great definately could tell the difference. Also buying the chip for my car was the best $50 bucks I have ever spent on a car! My brother rode with me tonight and he noticed how different it was just riding in it.

Nice! Keep an eye on those inner brackets though, they like to break.

Not going to make any progress this weekend. But I am going to be driving a couple of hundred miles tomorrow, so I will get a real good feel for the sway bar and the chip on the freeway. My daily commute is short and all city.

Drove a couple hundred miles today and I am even in more in love the chip. I have chipped other cars I have owned but this seems like the biggest difference I have ever noticed before. I am also really happy with the sway bar, went to my daughters house today and the road is nice and curvy and I had way more fun than usual on it. Now I just need to get the new struts in.

+ Reply to Thread