Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Thread: Mr.Nobody's ever changing daily driver MKII Jetta

A Somebody Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody's Avatar
    Changed the dash brackets, test fitted the cluster to the dash, removed the speedometer cable, removed the old brake warning light wiring harness, installed the speed sensor, speed sensor harness, new brake warning/clock adjuster harness, all the wiring for the MFA and tested it out. So close! Six wires to hook up, then finish tiding the wiring up and reinstall the dash.

Last edited by Mr.Nobody; 2016.04.27 at 19:55 PM.

A Somebody Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody's Avatar
    It's all wired in and ready for the dash to go back in. Ran into a snag. The coolant temp gauge won't quit blinking. But I found out why, you have to switch one wire in the C plug on the fuse box and you need to add a relay. Bad part is it's a hard to find relay, but ordered one from the UK. For now I jumped the relay spot, so it quit blinking. But the temp gauge isn't working now. But luckily I have a vdo water temp gauge. So I will still see the temp, will just be annoyed that its not 100% correct yet.

everyone probably knows me by now bingthejew is on a distinguished road bingthejew's Avatar
    Spotted on the way back

"When I believe in something, I fight like hell for it." - Steve McQueen

'78 Rabbit, '06 Dodge 2500 5.9L Cummins, '14 Touareg TDI(wife's), '14 GTI

That second pic is great, right as I turned and noticed you!
    Last edited by Mr.Nobody; 2016.05.02 at 05:48 AM.

So I have been busy the last couple of days, finishing Digifiz install, getting cleaned and showin it yesterday. First I got the temp gauge working right! Found a 10 year old thread and figured out that I also needed to switch two wires on the black plug for the Digifiz and that I didn't need the #43 relay and could use a #42 relay from a mk1. Luckily the guy hadn't shipped the 43 one yet and was nice enough to cancel my order with full refund, also I have extra #42 relays laying around for the Cabriolet.

All that fixed the blinking issue correctly, But.... temp gauge still wasn't registering the temp. This part I had to figure out on my own But I did! I was about to give up as it was 11:30 Friday night and I had to start getting the dash back in so I could clean the car for Waterwerks Sunday. So I stood there staring at my engine and it came to me! Digifiz's came on CIS 8V and 16V, mine specifically came from a 16V Rallye Golf, 16V had cast coolant flanges that the temp sender screwed into, like an aftermarket VDO gauge. Which I already had installed, so I unhooked it, clipped the plug off of the stock wiring, hooked it up to the sender and it worked!

So I have a fully working Digifiz!

That annoying buzzing sound was actually a rattle, that I fixed in the morning.
    Last edited by Mr.Nobody; 2016.05.02 at 06:14 AM.

So yesterday I showed at Waterwerks and got gold!

Was blown away at the response to my car, had so many long conversations about it and people just gushing about how much they liked it. Even had a few people say how psyched they were to get to see it in person.

Day wasn't all good though.... Got home and came inside for a few minutes and came out to a puddle of gas! Pin hole in the main feed line. Now I got to figure out what to do about it.

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    Congrats on the win!

Now, fuel leaks are no fun though, that's a bummer

Fixed the leak, used an ABA line. No one in the country has the right one, found one in the UK, might order it when I get paid. The hole was pretty big!

Regular Member alxdgr8 will become famous soon enough
    Congrats!
    I had a similar problem with my fuel hose and couldn't find anyone with the correct fittings (Audi did an odd convex JIC flare, not sure if VW did the same thing). So, I found the correct -AN adapters (that don't rely on an o-ring and flat flange like most people use) and build my own line. Let me know if you want that info if you've got the same style flare and I can send you my research.
    -Alex @vexartmedia-
    '03 Audi S8 (Avus/Oxblood - DD)
    '92 Porsche 968 (VW 07k 2.5T swap in the works) --- '86 Audi Coupe GT (2.3L 20v swap) ---'83 Audi UrQuattro (2.2L 20vt swap in progress)

It just uses normal fuel line hose clamps on the ends, it is a hard plastic high pressure hose with normal rubber hose ends. My car is Digifant. The ABA one is a slightly shorter, so went and got more rubber hos to extend to the fuel rail. Technically it's perfectly acceptable to run, I just rather have the right one. Hopefully that one from VWHeritage dosen't sale before next payday. Thanks for the offer though!
    Last edited by Mr.Nobody; 2016.05.02 at 17:00 PM.

So Saturday I was doing some ill advised late night tinkering and managed to fry my ECU. Luckily I have a spare, but it's running like poo now. I tried several things with no luck, so dropping it off at Fine Tuning Wednesday, so they can look at it.

So it turned my spare ECU was no good, but luckily I already bought another amd it showed up yesterday. Threw it in when I got the car back from FT and all is good.

Polished an oil cap for it.

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    looks good

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    Nice!

Been working on the new stereo and my new plates came today!

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    nice!
    -Tyler-

Need to update this with the stereo refresh that I just finished, maybe I will do it when I am killing time at the show Sunday.

This becoming a habit.

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    Congrats! Where are the stereo install pics though?

everyone probably knows me by now bingthejew is on a distinguished road bingthejew's Avatar
    Congrats Tony!
    "When I believe in something, I fight like hell for it." - Steve McQueen

'78 Rabbit, '06 Dodge 2500 5.9L Cummins, '14 Touareg TDI(wife's), '14 GTI

Thanks guys and maybe tomorrow Ryan, didn't have much time yesterday.

Ok, finally going to start writing about stereo redo.

New Stuff
    5.25 Morel Maximo Separates
    5.25 Morel Maximo Co-Axials
    Two 3ft Rockford Fosgate 2 Channel RCA cables
    One 15ft Stinger 2 Channel RCA cable
    One Rockford Fosgate R2 Ultra Shallow 10-Inch 4 Ohm DVC Subwoofer
    ASC Single 10" Subwoofer Ported Sub Box Speaker Enclosure
    Alpine KTP-445U 4 Channel Power pack

Dusted off from being stored on the shelf
    Rockford Fosgate P300.1 2 channel Amp

Will finish this tomorrow.

First thing I needed to do was install the front speakers. I had previously installed Boom Mat speaker baffles and admittedly I half assed it. Instead of pulling the door card off I just cut them down to fit.

This time I did it properly. Pulled the door cards, stapled them and used some adhesive as well.

The staples poked through the other side, so bent them down.

Up next was the tweeters, I reused my previous mounts that I had done.

Before

My router "table"

After

Next was mounting the door speakers to the new speaker grills. They aftermarket from the UK and are nicer and better than stock. Finding screws short enough that wouldn't poke through was being a a pain so I cut some down.

Last thing was installing the subwoofer. I wanted to make sure it was secure but easily removable, so I wondered around Lowe's and found these.

I installed rings into the sub box and the panel behind the seat. Box dosen't budge! And overall the stereo sound better then any set up I have ever had in it. First time I have ever truly been satisfied with the stereo in this car.

Best part is I have trunk space again the old sub box.

New one installed
    Last edited by Mr.Nobody; 2016.07.06 at 17:54 PM.

Defended my title from last year!

+ Reply to Thread