Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Mr.Nobody's ever changing daily driver MKII Jetta

tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

A Somebody Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody's Avatar
    Got a bunch of little things done today. First thing I did was replace my trunk seal.

As you can see it had shrunken up pretty good.

So I ripped it out.

My new seal, I got it from Nash Importers. He gets them from FAW in China.

Side by side you can see how squished the old one was.

Of course when I pulled the old one out it I found some grime.

So I cleaned it all up.

Got the new seal installed. Fits great and seals tight, should keep everything nice and dry now.

Decided to pull the trunk mat and set in the sun and clean any mess up under it.
    Dirty

After a quick wipe down and a vacuum

Next I installed some new front sway bar end links.

While I had the front wheels off I washed them because it had been awile and the were throughly coated in brake dust.

After that I Installed my Nothing Leaves Stock relay shifter shaft with Nylatron shifter ball
    Stock one

Side by side

Installed

While I had everything apart I decided to adjust my short the shifter from 30% reduction to 50% reduction. And then I realigned everything.
    30%

50%

When I finished with all that I had some lunch and took it for a nice long teat drive and was very pleased with the shifter upgrades. While I was on my drive I stopped and adjusted my tire pressures.

When i got back from the drive I decided I couldn't take the dirty interior anymore. So I vacuumed it really good and wiped out my door jams. And decide on one more project for the.

I changed up my exhaust tip. Went from a single 3" tip to a dual 2"(? can't remeber).
    old tip

New tip. It took cutting 2" inches off my pipe and some carefully adjustments(hammer ) to get it to fit in the exhaust cut out just right.

I might take another 1/2" of the exhaust pipe to make it sit back a little farther, not sure yet.
    Last edited by Mr.Nobody; 2013.03.30 at 22:11 PM.

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough

A Somebody Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody's Avatar
    Didn't feel very motivated due to the weather so I only did a small project. I reran the wiring for my oil gauges so it was more tucked away. Also added quick disconnects to make it easier to remove the gauge pod from the a-pillar.

that new seal looks sweet.. I need some new seals on my m3
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

Yeah, new seals are a MUST in the PNW.

that's a young seal... not a new seal

Same difference.

Actually I believe a young seal is called a pup!

Euro-Elitist Moderator VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus's Avatar
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	256

Youngest picture of Seal I could find.
    SOME PEOPLE ARE NARROW MINDED, OTHERS LIVE IN REALITY ~ EURO-ELITISM

l Arron lSPACE

Replaced my struts and shocks today. I have a H&R sport cup kit that I installed right after I got the car and the struts and shocks were worn out. One of the rear ones was completely blown and the other was close to be blown.

The front ones were equally worn out. But the passenger side fought all the way out. The hex threads stripped out so I took a torx that was close in size and pounded it in the top and got it off, plus the the slotted nut and spring cap didn't want to come off. It took a total of 45 minutes just to get that one strut out and take it apart.

Overall the ride feels better, kinda hard to tell on the shitty streets around my house. Didn't really push it at all do to heavy traffic in my area and it started raining.

Came up with a idea to hold the top of the rear stut so I could take the nuts off, it's a real bitch to do it on Jettas. Usually I cram a pair of vise grips in the tight area but it's pain so I got one of those Gator grip sockets.

It worked great!

And since I don't have air tools I picked up this niffty(yeah I said niffty) from GAP for removing front struts a while back and love it!

And now some exciting shots of the old and new struts
    New and old front

New and old rear

the yellow dampers of Bilstein or Koni always look nice

Going to try to be motivated and do the brakes this weekend. I have everyhting just need to do them.

So I got motivated and did the brakes today.

Old brakes ATE discs and Mintex Extra Dust Pads.... Oops I mean Red Box Pads

New brakes EBC Sport discs and Green Stuff Pads.

After I did the front brakes I inspected the rear drums. The shoes were glazed so I sanded them, greased all the contact points and cleaned and repacked the wheel bearings. Glad I decided not to skip checking the rears because the grease on the wheel bearings was in sad condition. Have a feeling if I hadn't caught them now I would be replacing soon.

Up next was a complete fluid flush. Changed from standard fluid to ATE Super Blue fluid.

When I went to open the fluid reservoir I had a bit of bad luck I broke a vacuum fitting.

But luckly I am a pack rat and I had a complete spare in my stash.

Good as new.

And back to bleeding the brakes after the temporary set back. I my power bleeder!

Finished it up and took it for a test drive, gas up and tire pressure check. All went well Didn't push it at all want to bed the brakes good before I go balls to the wall.

Now that all the major mechanical upates of my refresh are done, I can move onto the interior, stereo and installing the FOHA spoiler. Also to get it detailed for the summer.

Quote: Originally Posted by Mr.Nobody View Post
    But luckly I am a pack rat and I had a complete spare in my stash.
    haha

Quote: Originally Posted by Mr.Nobody View Post
    Finished it up and took it for a test drive, gas up and tire pressure check. All went well Didn't push it at all want to bed the brakes good before I go balls to the wall.
    http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...and-procedures

Had a WTF! moment this morning, went down to my car to give it the once over and noticed brake fluid on the inside both of the drivers side wheels So I went inside changed and grabbed the tool box.

When I pulled the wheels off I noticed that it was the old fluid(brownish) not the new fluid(blue). After poking around I decided that I must not have done as good as job cleaning up the drivers side compaired to the passenger side. When I was bleeding the brakes yesterday my drain hose popped off the bleeder screw on the front and the rear bleeder screw was clogged so I had to pull the screw out completely and unclog it making a big mess.

I cleaned everything up and took it for a drive and no signs of leakage. The pedal felt great and kept even pressure on long periods of brakeing. So I will just have to keep a eye on everything this week.

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    I really should pick up a power bleeder like that
    -Tyler-

Quote: Originally Posted by twardnw View Post
    I really should pick up a power bleeder like that
    ditto... not being able to bleed my brakes makes it difficult for me to do a lot of brake work

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    your rotors are on backwards.

Quote: Originally Posted by Rabbit 16v View Post
    haha

shouldn't matter much though

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    probably not if the vanes on the vents are straight out.

Quote: Originally Posted by Rabbit 16v View Post
    You sure? I thought about it before I stuck them on and the pattern on seems like it is going the same direction. I also looked at the boxes and they were not marked left or right. I will look at the vanes on the vents after work.

In other news, I checked when I took my stuff out to my car and no fluid inside the wheels.

Hmm. I used the same rotors on the Scirocco and they were marked L and R. Let me see if I can find a pic...

Found one!

So this would be drivers side...

+ Reply to Thread