Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: What's New?

pulled the 'dope shizzz' thread down from being sticky
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

added breadcrumbs to the bottom of thread pages. Now you don't need to scroll back to the top just to find a link back to the main forum
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

added "upcoming events" section at the top of the page. Hopefully this makes our calendar section even more obvious & visible.

Re: What's New?

-changed time limit for being able to edit your thread title. Until now you've been able to edit your thread title up to 5 minutes after creating a new thread. Now you can edit the thread title up to 10 minutes after the thread is created.
    -disabled thread & post icons..

Re: What's New?

-changed the quote style so that it gets rid of that 'bubble'. Let me know if you notice any weird issues, since I really just manually edited the template, and I'm not very familiar with all of these variables yet.

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    added "upcoming events" section at the top of the page. Hopefully this makes our calendar section even more obvious & visible.
    -Tyler-

Quote: Originally Posted by twardnw View Post
    seems it only pulls the calendar events based on the start dates... might look into getting that changed

-added new thread prefix "Ongoing". So, it's maybe not the most elegant prefix name, but the idea is that it covers any threads that don't really have an 'end'. This is for threads like the 'dope shizzz' and 'doing it wrong' type of threads. This helps you find any of these threads easily, especially after they leave the first page.

You can find any threads with a specific prefix by using the prefix drop-down box at the bottom of the forum page and then clicking the 'show threads' button

-dropped the 'chatbox' from the site for now... it's gotten almost no use at all. I think the chit chat thread kind of takes over..

updated the Tips & Tricks thread with a little more info and am hoping some people read it

made the 'drivers & the driven' thread sticky.. hoping to get new people to use it for an introduction thread

doubled PM inbox storage size to 100 total messages (includes sent, inbox, and any other folders you may have)

changed a couple of forum functions.. like changing your password.. so that it requires "human verification". This is where the image pops up with text inside that you need to type out so you can continue.

changed the events forum so that user posts actually count toward the total user's post count. I had some reason for not setting this up originally and I can't recall what it was any more.

just made a change that I'm not sure people will like or not, but I'm hoping that it helps things a little..

-made thread prefixes required in the main forum, and included a new 'blank' prefix that will not add any text in front of the thread title. This means that there's no real change in how the forum functions for you at all unless you're creating a new thread... where you will then be required to choose a thread prefix. The goal is that more people will use thread prefixes when appropriate. I also changed the text above the drop-down to make it clear that this is required.. just to help keep things a little more clear.

increased the allowed length of a topic title slightly.. had it set too short, I think

Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    just made a change that I'm not sure people will like or not, but I'm hoping that it helps things a little..

-made thread prefixes required in the main forum, and included a new 'blank' prefix that will not add any text in front of the thread title. This means that there's no real change in how the forum functions for you at all unless you're creating a new thread... where you will then be required to choose a thread prefix. The goal is that more people will use thread prefixes when appropriate. I also changed the text above the drop-down to make it clear that this is required.. just to help keep things a little more clear.
    reverted this.. doesn't work the way I'd like

updated the rules regarding embedding NSFW content. It didn't make sense to not allow embedded NSFW videos as long as it's clearly marked, since you still have to manually start the video to see such content. You still can not embed NSFW images (link instead).

the new wording:
    Quote: NO NSFW (not safe for work) CONTENT!
    You may link to "R rated" content only if it is clearly labeled as "NSFW". Anything that wouldn't be allowed in an "R Rated" movie is not allowed on this forum.. period.

embedding content:
    No NFSW images may be embedded in any thread. Breaking this rule may lead to infractions or being banned. NSFW Videos may be embedded as long as it is clearly marked as NSFW.

PNWfahren just made its first $100 from the google ads (since May).. it's not much considering the actual cost of running the site, but it helps anyway
    Last edited by joel; 2010.09.04 at 13:36 PM.

Changed the date & time format to yyyy.mm.dd HH:mm AM/PM (24hr with am/pm still showing). IIRC you can set your own preference in your profile, but I'm on my phone & don't feel like checking, so I might be wrong.

upgraded vbulletin to the latest. You shouldn't notice any big changes, but there are several small changes here & there. If you do notice anything that looks incorrect please let me know immediately! thanks..

updated the forum logo so that it links back to the main PNWfahren.com page. Click on the 'forum' button below the logo if you want to go back to the 'top' of the forum.

removed the option to show or hide your signature when using quick reply. It just seemed to get in the way for me.. so hopefully not many of you were used to using it. You can always 'Go Advanced' for all of the options

as you may have noticed, most vBulletin forums are set to use the "today" or "yesterday" labels instead of the raw dates for posts & 'last post' times in the thread listing. I had refrained from using this feature since I keep tabs open persistently and it can be tough/annoying to see which threads are unread when they still say the last post was "today" if you hadn't checked the forum in a few days.

However, the difference between this forum and most other vBulletin forums is that we have database tracking enabled for which threads are read & unread for each user. The forum also remembers this data for 5 or 7 days (can't remember what I set it to). This feature works very well.. so you can come back 4 or 5 days and the forum will tell you exactly what threads have new posts in them. Other sites (the vortex is a big "offender" because it's such a huge site.. using database tracking would simply cost them a lot more money for the hardware needed to track this sort of data) forget which threads you've read within a day.. a few hours.. or even a few minutes.

I say all this to make this next update a bit more clear:
    -enabled the today/yesterday labels for post times. Anything posted before "yesterday" will continue to show the actual date posted.

-forum threads will now remain 'unread' (until you read them) for up to 7 days now. This means that you can not visit the forum for a full week and the database will continue to track all new posts during this time and give you an accurate listing of what threads have been updated since, and which post is the new one since you last read each thread.

+ Reply to Thread