Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: What's New?

renamed the 'site news' thread prefix to 'official'. I think it makes a little more sense, covers the point of how the prefix was meant to be used a little better, and makes it a little more clear that the prefix isn't really meant to be used by normal users (since it's not possible to set permissions on use of specific thread prefixes).
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

just made all of the profile fields visible during user registration (not all are required). Before, some of the fields were only shown when you went back to edit your profile later on. I also updated a few of the descriptions, mostly to encourage new users to include their name and location. Please go back and add this information yourself if you haven't already.
    Last edited by joel; 2011.02.28 at 03:27 AM.
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

removed most of the smilies that were never used (the ones that were only shown if you clicked on the "more" link). Added

Anyway you want to add them to the "quick reply" box? I love quick reply and almost never go to the advanced page, unless I want to add a specific smiley.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Quote: Originally Posted by Twelvizm View Post
    Anyway you want to add them to the "quick reply" box? I love quick reply and almost never go to the advanced page, unless I want to add a specific smiley.
    I've thought about it, but haven't looked into it much. Some mods are really simple.. and some involve digging into tons of templates and copying database data around (like having more profile info in the 'postbit' to the left of posts)

added paypal donation & subscription buttons to the top of the page, and added a related FAQ item (see link below paypal buttons). See the financial dirt thread for details on why these are here.

Let me know if you might be interested in web page space or photo hosting space.. I'm considering providing these for a specific monthly subscription

added two links at the top of the page for donating to help the Japanese people

increased allowed amount of messages in a user's inbox up to 250 (from 100). This number includes messages in the sent box as well as the inbox and any other folders you have created. You can configure the forum to not save sent messages automatically if you like. This allowance increase is obviously a band-aid for those of you who fill your inboxes quickly. You will still need to keep things pruned down a bit, but at least you won't need to empty things out quite as often

This one's for Adam... I actually found the attachment quota setting, where it was set to 1000 kb. It's now 10mb for all users, which is hopefully a little more usable. You should get better use out of this space, presuming images are resized first
    Last edited by joel; 2011.03.27 at 20:08 PM.

lowered the default 'threads per page' from 30 down to 25

created a new 'project' thread prefix. Thread prefixes are a way to separate or categorize threads without the need for having separate forums on the site.

please review the new FAQ item created to help explain the use of these: http://forums.pnwfahren.com/faq.php?...n#faq_prefixes

Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    lowered the default 'threads per page' from 30 down to 25
    bumped this back up to 30.. now that we have more threads being updated more often

increased the amount of days that the forum will remember what posts you have read or not read. Now you won't miss activity if you have to step away for a bit

I just went through all of the new users on this site since I left for Texas last month and banned over 130 accounts. That was an abnormally large number of spam registrations.. thankfully most of them didn't actually post spam (most just had spam in their signatures).

I'll be able to keep an eye on new accounts again from here onward.. so spam should be less of an issue again (although it does seem like spam is on the rise here.. )

updated the 'description' under the PNWfahren forum title, above the subforum section. It previously read simply "Community Forums". It now reads "Community Forums - 'on topic' or 'off topic'.. post it all here! We want to enjoy your company.". Hopefully that's one way we can help decrease any confusion about how the forum works.

removed the 'calendar of events' link in the subforums section.. it was just linking directly to the events & gtg's subforum anyway. I'll probably change or update the way this part of the forum works later this year, because it's not going to be possible for it to work the way I wanted it to at the beginning. Maybe we can get rid of the separate section completely and simply create normal threads for different events?

added a new 'Technical' subforum and moved all threads with the 'technical' thread prefix here. Made the 'technical' thread prefix mandatory in the subforum, just to make things easy if we change it up again later. I typed this in another thread:

"The basic idea of the forum, as it is right now, is to use the thread prefixes as a way to sort through threads like you would normally browse through subforums. And then, if the need arises (there are more threads), we can create a dedicated subforum. So, there's already a 'technical' thread prefix, but I'm open to making a new subforum for technical threads, mostly since the separation from threads that would go there and other threads is pretty obvious. So confusion would be less than with other possible subforums, and my concern of having an unused subforum is less of a concern as well, since it has such a specific purpose."

As a reminder.. there is no off-topic on PNWfahren.

And the chit chat thread does not need to be used for any specific type of content. It can be used for anything that's safe for work. The reverse of that is that you can make a thread about anything.. even if you feel like you might normally post it in the chit chat thread. In my mind, a chit chat thread is a good place to post things that you think might not receive a response anyway.. and it's not a good place to ask questions or to generate discussion.

Let me know if you have any other ideas for helping visitors be less confused about how our forum isn't organized here: http://forums.pnwfahren.com/showthre...edback-Please!
    Last edited by joel; 2013.02.21 at 00:48 AM.

added a new 'Technical' subforum and moved all threads with the 'technical' thread prefix here. Made the 'technical' thread prefix mandatory in the subforum, just to make things easy if we change it up again later.
    never mind.. it looks like there's no way to make a thread prefix default at all, and it's not worth asking someone to choose just to post. So, no thread prefix in the new forum

-removed the donate links at the top
    -removed the 'upcoming events' bit at the top
    -removed the events subforum
    -enabled all registered users to edit their own user title
    -no more advertisements.. kind of
    -reduced the amount of threads showing per page (by default.. but you can change this in your settings)

So obviously this forum has changed a bit over the years. It's not as busy any more, but we're still friendly. With less traffic there's really not a need to have a separate events forum. People can post event threads in the main forum if they want to.. no worries there.

I've also now enabled all registered users to change their own user titles.. have fun.

And, Chris and Fine Tuning is now just a friend of the forum rather than also being an 'advertiser'. What I mean by this is that I have decided to continue displaying the Fine Tuning banner on the site, but I'm not asking him for anything in return. He's a good guy.. and his shop is a great place to take your German car. Please continue to think of Fine Tuning when you need parts, a little help with your car, or any amount of work done on your car. They know Volkswagens and Audis well, and have an experienced BMW tech as well. And they can get pretty much any car part of course

lastly.. I still pay for the server and hosting costs on my own.. as always. This won't change. But any amount of donating.. from a few dollars on up will go toward covering the costs. Please do consider using the paypal donate buttons at the top of the forum. You can donate pretty much any amount.. and any amount is very much appreciated.

thanks guys

Pretty sure my mom will be taking her bug to Chris for a new motor as soon as she has the money. I kind of want to find a MK1 to stick our Honda's current engine in it for her to drive daily. She prefers old VW's but I want her to not worry about her car starting.

an old CIS 1.8L rabbit isn't exactly unreliable.. they're simple and go a long time

This is still conjecture since she needs to get her Super Beetle back on the road first.

changed the way that thread page numbers are displayed on thread pages.. it used to show page links a couple of numbers down and up, then skip 10, 50, 100, etc. Now it shows a bunch of pages within 10 (+ or -) of your current page.. much easier to navigate and skip a page or two or three at a time

increased the amount of direct page links for threads on the threaddisplay page. I'd prefer that it be able to link to the most recent several pages, but that doesn't see to be a default option. I think this also helps make it obvious that we have many very long ongoing threads.. makes it more obvious that we do have activity

created a new 'event' thread prefix, since the events subforum is now gone. So if you're creating a thread about an event you can choose this prefix.

A Somebody Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody's Avatar
    created a new 'event' thread prefix, since the events subforum is now gone. So if you're creating a thread about an event you can choose this prefix.

the server was down last night due to some hardware issues, configuration issues, and data center/host issues. I'll be seriously looking at a new host soon... I need actual access to my servers. Updates to come.

everyone probably knows me by now girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood's Avatar
    It's sad that I really have no idea what you mean by that. I know you've simplified it in the most possible way; but I still have no idea what that means. I'm behind the times

+ Reply to Thread