monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My return to VWs : 1993.5 VW Corrado SLC

Regular Member Helios is on a distinguished road Helios's Avatar

My return to VWs : 1993.5 VW Corrado SLC

Ursula

Rejoining the VW circles after about a 1 year hiatus. It was going to be tough to replace the Helios GLi that I had owned for 8 years, prior to selling it last spring. I stumbled across this car on CL, when I wasn't really even looking, while BSing w/ friend about his project. It was pretty much THE car I had been half keeping an eye open for, but was not expecting to find.

It's a late 1993 SLC, 2.8L 12v coilpack VR6, 5 speed, Classic Green Pearl, white dot grey cloth interior, sunroof & BBS alloys. If I could have ordered one in 1993, this would've been it. And for the kicker, which spurned the 4 hour, each way, drive to Oregon....59k miles! While the mileage is ridiculously low, it's in need of some TLC. There are 20 years worth of scratches and chips, which hopefully will mostly buff out, and aged chain guides.

The car already has installed by POs:
    268 Catcams (supposively) bumpsticks
    LSD (verified, unknown brand)
    Zimmerman cross drilled rotors (meh)
    EBC Green Stuff pads
    SS brake lines
    Weitec coilovers
    Scorpion muffler (doesn't fit right at all)
    Spoonfed 70mm front lip
    Short shift kit (DieselGeek?)
    Autotech RARB
    Unknown FARB

Here in the next couple months, My friend & I will be tearing motor and trans out due to lack of documentation of HD valve springs. Since we will be in there that deep we'll be doing a full chain service (little bit of chain noise...suspect it's age deteriorated guides), along with several reliability and "Since I'm in there" updates and service.

It actually ended up taking 2 days to get the car home...due to a tire that decided to delaminate halfway home, near Federal Way. Fortunately I was slowing down at the Rest Area off ramp to investigate the vibration when the tire let go. It still caused a couple scratches on the LF fender, but no sheet metal damage. We mounted up the spare and left the car at a friend's house about 5 miles away. Came back to Bellingham Saturday night, to meet up with another local guy Sunday morning to borrow a couple 5x100 steelies w/ snows (mk4 fitment). Drove back down to Federal Way, swapped rear tires and hung out for a while before heading back Sunday afternoon. Made the rest of the drive without a hitch. Although a little on the loud side, the noises it makes (especially through the Seattle tunnels).....

New tires are ordered (Bridgestone RE11a), hopefully be here Thursday, so I can get them mounted up Friday. Once they are mounted, going to run the car over to my detailer in OH, and leave the car with him for the weekend, to get the car up to snuff...then I can maintain it from there (it really needs something a bit heavier than Griots products).

I'll try to get a couple more pics up tonight. But there it is. I'll see about starting another one for the SVT here in a couple days...as that one is going to be a bit more radical as the months progress.
    Last edited by Helios; 2013.04.01 at 10:50 AM.
    -Chris S.

"If they ain't a little too wide, they ain't wide enough!"
    '76 Mk1 / '86 Rocco / '87 XR4Ti / '93.5 SLC / '94 SVT / '95 RS / '03 GC Limited

Euro-Elitist Moderator VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus's Avatar
    Ugh. This brings back nightmares of the Corrado that was in my garage and driveway for most of last year. A buddy needed a place to do a chain job, and we ended up replacing the head and eventually the entire VR6 swap. He finally sold it because the timing was effed. I hear it ran perfectly about a week later. lol

Good luck! It sounds like you have a much better grasp on this project!
    SOME PEOPLE ARE NARROW MINDED, OTHERS LIVE IN REALITY ~ EURO-ELITISM

l Arron lSPACE

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    Sweet! Congrats! I wanted that one bad...but since I have no money...

I love seeing VW's on their original BBS's. Nice purchase!
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

I like them too. I've got my eyes on a set of wheels for the future that will be used for shows/cruises etc...but 90% of the time I think will be spent on these. And tires are cheap(er).

Just got word, sounds like I've got a moonroof assembly secured for trade of a 16v header I've had laying around for years.
    -Chris S.

A Somebody Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody's Avatar
    So jealous! I want to get one again so bad.

everyone probably knows me by now girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood's Avatar
    I've always wanted a green Corrado... I wish I painted mine that color Pretty purchase, have fun with it!

And the limited slip was verified this weekend.

Also got the Bridgestone RE11As installed.

I'll try to get a couple more pics in the near future. I've got shipments from Zeb, RPI & SpoonFed enroute (to replace some broken bits on the car).
    -Chris S.

wow... buy a corrado.. get an LSD
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

Dinked around in the garage a bit last night.

Installed new OE drip rails.
    Installed new PS hatch hinge trim.
    Found DS marker light pigtail harness missing...no wonder the light doesn't work.
    -Chris S.

Replaced the hood release cable horns last night. Ended up having to drill/cut the passenger side off as the set screw had been snapped off.
    -Chris S.

Progress this weekend:
    - B4 Passat donated it's moonroof & OE Stereo.
    - Started cutting, fitting & prepping angle for new seat brackets for the Recaros.
    - Fixed an oil weep near the PCV valve (dripping onto exhaust heat shield).
    - Ordered a few more parts to fix broken/missing items
    - Researched wiring components to relay the headlights.

I also spent some time at a friend's shop helping with his SLC project. His motor fired up for the first time this weekend. Still got a long way to go on it. We are trying to get his car finished (before Leavenworth), then move on to engine PM work (full chain service & uprated valve springs) on mine.

And on another note, the car already tried to burn itself down... Noticed a strong gas odor from the car shortly after starting it yesterday. Popped the hood and saw fuel coming from the pressure line, right where it attaches to the fuel rail. Loosened up the clamp, re-situated the line and tightened it back down. No more leaks. I'll be keeping an eye on that one though (and a screwdriver in the car).

I'll probably add a couple more pics as the parts start coming in and get installed on the car...which will hopefully be soon.

Edit: And I forgot to mention, while poking around on the car trying to isolate a squeak/rub, I have also identified an aftermarket front anti-roll bar on the car as well. It's substantially larger than the stock unit on my friend's SLC. What other little surprises are we going to find in this car. For it's near stock exterior appearance, it certainly has a lot of little tricks under it's skin.
    Last edited by Helios; 2013.04.01 at 10:49 AM.
    -Chris S.

Quote: Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    And on another note, the car already tried to burn itself down...
    a true corrado

Reasonably productive weekend.

- Made more progress on seat brackets before the skies opened up Saturday afternoon.
    - Installed the glass moonroof, still need to clean up the seal a bit though. Tested for leaks Sunday morning in the rains...checks out good.
    - Disassembled a marker light connector, cleaned up and op-checked. Installed both marker light pigtails.
    - Completely disassembled rear wing assembly. Replaced upright w/ broken pin. Cleaned and re-greased all the internal components. Opened up the motor can and hosed out motor internals w/ electronics cleaner. Re-assembled and installed the assembly. Wing is now fully operational, and works as it should.
    - Reinstalled the plastic slider on the driver front seat mount. No more seat rock! Whoever the seats out last (Car Hacks...er Car Toys or VW Dealership) knocked them off, then just left it sitting on the carpet under the seat. Sourced another one for the passenger side, but left it at my friend's shop.
    -Chris S.

I suppose it's about time for a bit of an update:

The car made it's first "public" appearance at Waterwerks yesterday. I'm continuing to amass parts for the huge PM job coming up (t-chains, HD valve springs, clutch, head gasket, motor mounts). I may try to make GC, assuming I have a chance to get the service done prior to that...but I'm not going to hold my breath. We are still trying to get my buddy's Rado on the road first...and he missed his WW completion date.

Things done:
    Rieger badgeless w/ grille blend & rear hatch spoiler painted & installed.
    Convex mirrors installed.
    Headliner installed.
    Replaced missing wiring harnesses to front marker & fog lights. Now all operational.
    Installed new shift boot & Sparco shift knob (from foxbody, yay "free" parts).
    Installed Sparco steering wheel (from Helios, more "free" parts).
    Continued fabbing seat brackets to install grey SRDs (from foxbody, more "free" parts).
    Replaced the rubber high pressure fuel line, after it developed a leak because a mechanic decided a vacuum line "needed" a hose clamp on it, that then chaffed through the fuel line adjacent to it.
    Installed a Spoonfed license plate tub, to replace the busted OE that was attached by a couple "random" screws. New tub actually has a recess in it so the plate sits flush the the panel, instead of 1/4" above the rear.
    Also working on a set of red/smoke tails.....if I can ever get them to come out to my satisfaction.....

I'll try to get some pics up in the next few days once I clear out some space in my Flikr account.
    Last edited by Helios; 2013.07.01 at 11:20 AM.
    -Chris S.

definitely need pics of the front & rear

Normal Member Kinnikinnick is on a distinguished road
    Ahh the car most ahead of it's time! Love the Corrado!

I suppose it's about time for a bit of an update:
    We are still trying to get my buddy's Rado on the road first...and he missed his WW completion date.
    You mean his Leavenworth completion date.
    I'm all jacked up on Mountain Dew!

everyone probably knows me by now girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood's Avatar
    Pictures!

Seriously slacking here.....

I'll try to get some pics before I tear the front end apart. Tomorrow morning it goes into the shop to have the AC system purged in preparation for the "teardown".

I did also get a couple more Spoonfed bits while they were on sale a bit earlier this year.....new raintray, wiper cowl and rear spoiler are installed.

Next up.....clutch, chains & gaskets. Oh my!
    -Chris S.

And the pics as it sits currently. Excuse the dirtiness...just got home from the shop and the roads were still wet after the rain last night.

-Chris S.

CF rain tray/cowl? interesting..

the car looks nice Chris... what does it need still? where's the to do list

Nice! I went with the FB rain tray and cowl pieces a couple years ago, CF was too much IMO. Looks awesome, though! I love the green with french fogs.

If the car was a lighter colored car, all the exposed CF bits would've been painted. The rear spoiler is painted. With the dark green, the CF is actually pretty understated. It really doesn't stand out. Plus with the hood closed, you don't really much of the cowl/raintray. The price difference was minimal, and I avoided some prep & paint work.

I'm finally getting around to the chains/springs/gaskets/seals/clutch job I've been planning. She should be rip raring to go for the spring. I'd like to try to get it down to the Caffeine & Gasoline in March. That's my goal anyways.
    -Chris S.

Normal Member ExplosiveToaster will become famous soon enough ExplosiveToaster's Avatar
    I'd like to try to get it down to the Caffeine & Gasoline in March. That's my goal anyways.
    Well....it's March now How's this coming along?
    - Mike | My Photos | '16 VW Golf R | '87 Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.3-16

+ Reply to Thread