Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Introducing Amelia : 1976 914 2.0

Regular Member Helios is on a distinguished road Helios's Avatar

Introducing Amelia : 1976 914 2.0

After receiving some interest about the 914(s), I have decided to post this one here as well.

11/17/12 (Postings are copied from the thread at 914World http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.p...ic=198325&st=0)

I introduce to you my newest project (like I need more of them ), Amelia. Some of you may remember this car, as it was the airport hanger find of sixnotfour, from several years back. This all came about once I did some digging around in the engine bay of my green car, to clean some stuff up before re-installing the drivetrain. Long story short, there had been some half-assed repairs in it's past. At this point it was going to be more cost effective to find a new roller to transfer my existing drivetrain over too.

Short term plan : Clean up a little rust, install drivetrain & enjoy.

Long term plan : Who knows? I've always wanted a GT replica...but due to the time and financial commitments required to see it through, only time will tell.

And now, on to what you've been waiting for...the pictures.

Last edited by Helios; 2013.04.01 at 06:43 AM.
    -Chris S.

"If they ain't a little too wide, they ain't wide enough!"
    '76 Mk1 / '86 Rocco / '87 XR4Ti / '93.5 SLC / '94 SVT / '95 RS / '03 GC Limited

11/23/12

Door removed for replacement.

Steering column removed to drop off at locksmith once my key blanks arrive. Car doesn't have keys, and Porsche doesn't have the key code for VIN on file.
    -Chris S.

12/01/12

Made a bit of progress.

-Picked up key blanks from the dealer.
    -Dropped off steering column & door lock at the locksmith. New keys cut.
    -Swapped 2 wheels over.
    -Finished pulling windows out of the door.

Going to be heading down to Jeff's tomorrow to take his bits back to him and grab the new door.
    -Chris S.

12/05/12

So Nord came by last night to "just to grab a set of roller wheels". Well, it ended up turning into a 3 hour BS session, and got some tinkering done on the car to boot.

- Revolution 5 spokes swapped to Amelia.
    - Fuch reps installed on the green car.
    - Rear trunk "re-aligned" to prevent interference from engine lid.
    - Steering column and wheel re-installed
    - Started a test spot of polish on front bonnet

And the usual plotting, scheming & dreaming....sixes, flares, brakes, etc, etc.
    -Chris S.

After a bit of a hiatus, I crawled around the car for a bit yesterday in between yard work. Ended up having to pull the steering column back out, because I failed to line up the notch in the steering shaft w/ the pinch bolt. Got that re-oriented and bolted down. Just need to hook up wires, then I can get the lower dash pad re-installed.

Got a work night planned for Tuesday night at the house with some friends. Hoping to get the wheels studs installed (need to get shorter ones eventually ), figure out which wheel is seized (stuck brake or fried wheel bearing) and hopefully get it rolling again. If there is time, I also got a new RMS I'd like to try to get installed in the motor.
    -Chris S.

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    Nice! I'm following this one too.

This thread makes me happy.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    Nice! Now I am going to be a jerk and mention that the key code is stamped into the door handles as well as the ignition lock assy.

Quote: Originally Posted by Rabbit 16v View Post
    Nice! Now I am going to be a jerk and mention that the key code is stamped into the door handles as well as the ignition lock assy.
    Meh, oh well. Playing with old cars is supposed to be about the adventure...right?

Got a couple things done last night.
    - Installed wheel studs.
    - Rolls again. LR brake caliper was stuck. I'll be replacing all the rubber lines along with cleaning up and installing new seals in all the calipers before it sees the road.
    - Hooked up the wires in the steering column (only 3 plugs ) and hung the lower kneepad.
    - Started on RMS replacement. Got the pressure plate and clutch removed. On hold now until my flywheel lock arrives (along with the proper bolts ). Evidently the shop that put the clutch in last time (during a supposed engine rebuild) just used whatever bolts they happened to have laying around...and if they didn't quite fit, used a grinder to make them fit.

Placed orders with GAP & Pelican to get the parts/tools I need to finish the RMS replacement, along with some maintenance parts for the Corrado.
    -Chris S.

Regular Member alxdgr8 will become famous soon enough
    This is not helping me resist my desire for a 914...
    Definitely watching!
    -Alex @vexartmedia-
    '03 Audi S8 (Avus/Oxblood - DD)
    '92 Porsche 968 (VW 07k 2.5T swap in the works) --- '86 Audi Coupe GT (2.3L 20v swap) ---'83 Audi UrQuattro (2.2L 20vt swap in progress)

Quote: Originally Posted by alxdgr8 View Post
    This is not helping me resist my desire for a 914...
    Definitely watching!
    Give in to the dark side.

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    Got to love previous owners! Waw.

The funny thing is the PO paid a shop a pretty good chunk of change for the rebuild. If it was a backyard budget rebuild...sure I could see it...but a "professional" rebuild...pretty sad. Wish I knew what shop it was so I could steer clear.
    -Chris S.

Could you contact the PO to find out?

Quote: Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    Long term plan : Who knows?
    haha. I'm not sure I could pick a car up like that without having at least an idea for a long term goal
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    haha. I'm not sure I could pick a car up like that without having at least an idea for a long term goal
    I know where I'd like to go with it.....however time & money could dictate how far in that direction I can go. I'd love to build a GT clone...but I don't know when I'll have $20k to throw at the car. I'm likely going to pick away in that direction, and maybe get there in 10-15 years.
    -Chris S.

haha.. gotcha
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

+ Reply to Thread