Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Thread: My 190E 2.3-16

Normal Member ExplosiveToaster will become famous soon enough ExplosiveToaster's Avatar

My 190E 2.3-16

The whole crazy Volvo swap idea went out the window when I caught this on Craigslist:

1987 Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.3-16

I've always wanted to turn one of these into a track car, and luckily I found one that needs love but is in good running condition (for being 26 years old and having over 200k miles on it). Engine idles a little rough, but drives smoothly. Clutch and gearbox seem OK, as does the rear diff (factory LSD!). Previous owner works at a garage and owned this as his project after buying it from a friend (who had it sitting out for a few years growing moss...). His friend also had it resprayed white, but the paint job was done cheaply and is now flaking off. The interior is all there, just not all installed (there's a stack of carpet in the trunk, for example).

The Short List, fixing the existing gremlins:
    • Replace valve cover gasket
    • Replace air blower motor
    • Clean window switches
    • Check window motors and regulators
    • Replace seeping rear SLS shocks with Bilstein Sports (to match the front)

For long-term plans I'm trying to pick between an Evo I and Evo II body kit, whether to go all-motor or turbocharged, and then what color to paint the car. Both bodies were used on DTM cars and I love how ridiculous the Evo II setup looks...
    Last edited by ExplosiveToaster; 2013.06.02 at 10:29 AM.
    - Mike | My Photos | '16 VW Golf R | '87 Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.3-16

Nice. Looks good in white.

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    Was this Charlie's? Nice project!

everyone probably knows me by now girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood's Avatar
    Cool! I've always loved these cars. It does look like Charlie's old one, too.

I love it! This has always been on my shopping list when looking for another car, but never come up when I'm buying.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Normal Member ExplosiveToaster will become famous soon enough ExplosiveToaster's Avatar
    Yeah, I bought it from Charlie. Funny, I've had a few people over on 190rev also say they've seen this car before. Small world!

Regular Member alxdgr8 will become famous soon enough
    Thank you for buying this, I was tempted and glad I didn't get a response from the seller! Love these cars...the only Merc I would own.
    -Alex @vexartmedia-
    '10 VW Touareg TDI [Tow Rig and DD]
    '92 Porsche 968 (VW 07k 2.5T swap in the works) --- '03 Audi S8 --- '86 Audi Coupe GT (2.3L 20v swap) ---'83 Audi UrQuattro (2.2L 20vt swap in progress)
    '01 Ducati ST4

Farmer Ron Arsigi is a jewel in the rough Arsigi is a jewel in the rough Arsigi's Avatar
    Ha - I, too, really wanted to buy that car!! Very jealous.
    Ron a.k.a. Arsigi
    Spokane's Most Posted on here, too...
    FlügenWeb. Späcecode. TwitZöne. Ass Möde.

Only one photo? You're an evil person. Moar!
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Here's a few more I took. Replaced the headlight bulbs with some brighter, non-blue ones. Also removed, disassembled, and cleaned my window switches...now I have *3* working windows! I'm betting the fourth needs a new motor.

Noticed the rear of the car makes a hissing sound when running, probably the SLS system in the back. Idle is a bit rough, but the car drives smoothly in motion. Also I found my interior trim is all solid pieces of wood, and because of that, uses more durable metal clips instead of that plastic isht in newer German cars

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20130526_006.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	263

Name:	WP_20130526_004.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	264

Name:	WP_20130526_005.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	265

Name:	WP_20130526_003.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	266

EDIT: Also, went to a Pick-n-Pull with some friends and scored a battery tray from a W126. It's only partially rusted instead of completely disintegrated, but it might fit.
    Last edited by ExplosiveToaster; 2013.05.27 at 01:38 AM.

President, MK2 Society trip permit has a spectacular aura about trip permit has a spectacular aura about trip permit's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by buddylove View Post
    Was this Charlie's? Nice project!
    Yes it was his. Swede owned it before him, so thats probably how they saw it before. 700lbbench or whatever is his vortex name.
    Last edited by trip permit; 2013.05.27 at 14:36 PM.

So Jealous. Nice pickup!
    I'm all jacked up on Mountain Dew!

Regular Member benny_mech will become famous soon enough
    Because Cosworth!!
    “Right now, it's like this.”
    ― Ajahn Sumedho

Quote: Originally Posted by benny_mech View Post
    Because Cosworth!!
    I might need to borrow that phrase for a vinyl once it gets under way

Got some more parts on the way this week, and this weekend I plan to go through the fusebox and clean everything out. Hopefully that sorts out some of the electrical gremlins.

what color was the car before? nice pick up
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

everyone probably knows me by now girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood's Avatar
    Looks like it was the silver from the rear left picture just under the bumper.

fwiw, here's the cossie I saw in Germany in 2009

tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

This car was smoke silver. (champagne) It was my car. Small world.

Want to make some rough engine bay measurements for me? Mainly looking for width and length. Just for reference for a crazy idea that's on my dream list
    -Alex @vexartmedia-
    '92 Porsche 968 (VW 07k 2.5T swap in the works) --- '03 Audi S8 --- '86 Audi Coupe GT (2.3L 20v swap) ---'83 Audi UrQuattro (2.2L 20vt swap in progress)
    '01 Ducati ST4

Forgot to measure the engine bay while I was working on it, but it's now in my apt building so I can do it later tonight.

Replaced my fog bulbs with some bright yellow PIAAs, new gauge cluster (with a working odometer!), passenger seat bolted in, replaced the battery terminals and added a cut-off switch, K&N filter, cleaned the fuse box, and replaced all the fuses with new ones.
    Also went for a nice long drive since we went up around the lake to avoid I-90 (she really doesn't like stop and go traffic without a fan shroud). I'm pretty amazed at how well this car still pulls!

EDIT: Engine bay is 55" across from fender to fender, "usable" engine space is about 34" across (more or less the area used by the engine, not including tanks/etc. above the wheel wells). Depth is about 32.5" from the front brace to the back of the engine bay, but if you cut out the separation wall you'd get a few more inches. The strut towers are about 41" apart.
    Last edited by ExplosiveToaster; 2013.06.01 at 21:39 PM.

Awesome, thanks!
    -Alex @vexartmedia-
    '01 Ducati ST4

Took the car to Car Tender over on 12th yesterday and asked them to do a general inspection so I had a better idea of what needs doing. In summary:
    • Cooling system is mostly water
    • Power steering return hose seeps
    • Oil cooler hose leak (along with valve cover, which I knew from the beginning)
    • Suspension bushings are toast
    • Flex disks are toast
    • Driveline balancer missing pieces (cover?)
    • Tie rod boots torn

Pretty much what I expected based on driving it, TBH. On the bright side, there's no signs of any collisions, there don't seem to be any internal problems with the big stuff (engine, transmission, diff), and my brake pads are in great shape!

I'm reaching out to a 190rev member in Thailand who manufactures poly versions of almost every bushing in the car, so hopefully he has some available now or will be doing another run soon. Also got a machined block-off plug from another 190rev member and a pair of shocks for whenever I delete the broken SLS system. New blower motor and head gasket are also coming in. Just gotta get to those tie rods
    Last edited by ExplosiveToaster; 2013.06.06 at 21:27 PM.

Installed a new blower motor today, then reinstalled the wiper assembly. It's nice to have airflow in the cabin when the windows are up, and also be able to drive in the rain. Took it out for a drive and put the back seat + sound insulation into storage.

Name:	WP_20130608_001.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	268
    DTM style, yo.

I've been quiet for most of the month while waiting for my garage rental to open up for me. I should finally be able to move some stuff in later tonight, and maybe park the Benz inside. The short list of things I have waiting to go in:
    - Complete set of new tie rods (left, center, right)
    - Powdercoated valve cover & new valve cover gasket
    - Bilstein B8 shocks to replace the rear SLS
    - SLS block-off plug so I can completely remove the system

Also on their way are a set of polyurethane front wishbone bushings and polyurethane flex discs from a 190rev member in Thailand. And sometime next month I will receive a Stromung race exhaust system since another 190rev member has organized a group buy with them. She's not going to be a quiet car once that goes in, but here's a video to get an idea of what it sounds like:

going to be sooo nice having the steering & bushing stuff upgraded/replaced

+ Reply to Thread