Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: My 190E 2.3-16

Engine looks pretty... looking gti forward to seeing more stuff. Nice to see the progress
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

Regular Member alxdgr8 will become famous soon enough
    Looking great! Now do the same to my engine haha
    -Alex @vexartmedia-
    '10 VW Touareg TDI [Tow Rig and DD]
    '92 Porsche 968 (VW 07k 2.5T swap in the works) --- '03 Audi S8 --- '86 Audi Coupe GT (2.3L 20v swap) ---'83 Audi UrQuattro (2.2L 20vt swap in progress)
    '01 Ducati ST4

Normal Member ExplosiveToaster will become famous soon enough ExplosiveToaster's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by alxdgr8 View Post
    Looking great! Now do the same to my engine haha
    When you get to it, I have the timing chain tool if you'd like to borrow it.
    - Mike | My Photos | '16 VW Golf R | '87 Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.3-16

Quote: Originally Posted by ExplosiveToaster View Post
    When you get to it, I have the timing chain tool if you'd like to borrow it.
    Thanks, I'll definitely need it.
    Have you seen this manual tensioner? http://forum.190rev.net/showthread.p...nners-for-sale
    I've been thinking of getting one since my car still has the old-style one that needs updating. This is much cheaper than updating the tensioner.
    -Alex @vexartmedia-
    '92 Porsche 968 (VW 07k 2.5T swap in the works) --- '03 Audi S8 --- '86 Audi Coupe GT (2.3L 20v swap) ---'83 Audi UrQuattro (2.2L 20vt swap in progress)
    '01 Ducati ST4

Normal Member ExplosiveToaster will become famous soon enough ExplosiveToaster's Avatar
    Mine came with the updated one (I replaced the spring on principle), but that does seem like a good solution if the tensioner ever needs replacing. It never ceases to amaze me how "grassroots" the aftermarket for these cars is instead of the big name companies making stuff haha

Mmmmmmm......

Today I got my new exhaust studs (I was missing 2), which had to be ordered from Germany of course. Fuel rail is on too, with some 30lb injectors I bought from Summit. Replaced the slave cylinder on the gearbox, all the clutch-actuation pieces looked in good shape and still greased up from the rebuild, so that's nice.

I finally broke the passenger front caliper bolts loose and was able to get both new rotors installed up front. Here's the comparo (new R129 on the left, 2.3-16 on the right)

Dat venting. Hopefully I won't be ruining my fluid as quickly as I do in the GTI with these things

I'll get the 4-pot Ate calipers mounted after I rebuild them. First step is getting them media blasted and coated, so I guess its time to call around.
    Last edited by ExplosiveToaster; 2015.04.08 at 21:43 PM.

30 lb injectors
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

Regular Member benny_mech will become famous soon enough
    That's about 200 hp @ 80% duty cycle for 4 injectors:

http://www.witchhunter.com/injectorcalc1.php
    “Right now, it's like this.”
    ― Ajahn Sumedho

according to that page I should be running 30 lb injectors in my m3.. but I have 24 lb injectors, and my dyno showed that it was still running a little rich

Regular Member benny_mech will become famous soon enough
    That all depends on the duty cycle. 80% is more conservative than most OEMs, because most people running custom stuff want room to grow, or just not run out of tunability. The amount of fuel entering the engine is controlled by the ECU varying the pulse width to the injector, so if you're running 95% duty cycle on 24 lb injectors and/or at a higher fuel pressure, you'll get more fuel. His injectors might never go above 70%, it all depends on the tune.
    Last edited by benny_mech; 2015.04.09 at 16:48 PM. Reason: spelling fail
    “Right now, it's like this.”
    ― Ajahn Sumedho

Over the past few weeks I've amassed quite a pile...

Brake calipers are off being coated in thermal dispersant, both for protecting the cast iron from the elements and for helping dissipate the heat that will build up in the caliper while on the track. Meanwhile I've got the seal kits, pins, sensors, and clips for when I get them back. And a couple rear caliper pistons because one of them had a gouge and needs replacing. Add on some stainless lines and fresh rotors for the rear and I think the brakes are covered

Over on the left is a Jenvey throttle linkage with a couple mounting plates. The top-mount plate fit my TWM throttles with a bit of grinding, but mounting the linkage piece itself as far toward the other throttle as possible blocks off the 4th runner's vacuum line, so that won't do. And unfortunately I bought the wrong plate for mounting the linkage underneath the throttles. I'm hoping I can get this Jenvey setup to work with my throttles, though, because I think if I can just get the right mounting bracket made so it lines up with the lever, then all that's left when the engine is in the car is to actually attach the throttle cable, and I should be in business. Looks like I may need to give Mr. V8-190E a holler for some mounting plates I really hope it is that simple, because otherwise I've no idea how I'm going to hook the pedal up to the throttles...

While replacing my front strut mounts I discovered that one of the struts is bad (one rebounds when you push down and let go of the rod, the other stays put), so I ordered some new struts, bellows, and mounting hardware from ECS as well as a new set of sway bar links for the rear. I may start into the rear subframe on Sunday...who knows.

A fun tidbit I learned: apparently there exists a Getrag sequential gearbox that bolts onto the M102 engine (or at least onto the M102 bellhousing for the 275Z gearbox that comes with the Cosworth). Fun to think about if I make my tech millions from an IPO or win the lottery and have $10k lying around for a gearbox

Are you coming to the gtg on the 9th?

Normal Member V8-190e is on a distinguished road V8-190e's Avatar
    Pm your phone number and let's get started on the mounting plate project!

Pierre

Hello great project

Hello Explosivetoaster

I also have a 16v and am in the process of rejuvenating my motor. Are you on facebook ? You can find me using my email address gus.montoya@gmail.com. Please add me as I have plenty of questions for you.

Awesome motor, so far I only have the head cleaned and done. I am working on accumulating parts for the bottom end. Waiting on gaskets, and water pump now.

Yay I finally got back to work on this. Remanufactured R129 calipers loaded with Carbotech XP12 pads for maximum racecar squeal. Had to focus on a couple stressful months of stuff going on at work, but now the dust is settling and I want to get back to putting this thing on the road again

Need any parts? Going to be scrapping my shell in two weeks.
    -Alex @vexartmedia-
    '01 Ducati ST4

What's available? I can think of a couple things.

Clutch lines, steering box (spare to rebuild), door seals (if they're in good shape), cossie body pieces come to mind. My mirrors and textured plastic strips on the bumpers have been bondo'd and repainted so those would also be good to have. Having a spare key/lock set could be nice since I'm not sure if I can get my stock driver's door lock back together in the door.

Quote: Originally Posted by ExplosiveToaster View Post
    What's available? I can think of a couple things.

Clutch lines, steering box (spare to rebuild), door seals (if they're in good shape), cossie body pieces come to mind. My mirrors and textured plastic strips on the bumpers have been bondo'd and repainted so those would also be good to have. Having a spare key/lock set could be nice since I'm not sure if I can get my stock driver's door lock back together in the door.
    I'll send you a PM.
    -Alex @vexartmedia-
    '01 Ducati ST4

Got the new front brakes and lines installed with some Wilwood shims to get decent clearance on both sides of the rotor. I had to grind out the holes in the shims a tiny bit to fit them around the caliper bolts. Now everything's installed and tightened down up front. I also removed the front pad sensors while at it, partly because the 190's sensor connector doesn't really mount to the R129 calipers, and partly because racecar.

I also sent back my flywheel last week to exchange it for a newer one that had been developed. The new one came in on Saturday so I installed it on the motor over the weekend. Same 12lb flywheel, but it has a 60-2 trigger wheel instead of the CIS trigger. Now I can use the stock crank sensor hole for my new crank sensor

Now to finally figure out that pesky throttle cable connection
    Last edited by ExplosiveToaster; 2015.12.07 at 20:11 PM.

I should've put the wheels someplace more secure than locked up with steel cable on a post. Took 2 years of sitting there but someone jacked them last week. The "bright side" is that I never really liked them anyway, they were just some cheap 17s with mismatched tires so the car could roll. The downside is, those were the only wheels I had so now I have nothing to roll it on. Oh well, I've got time.

I changed my mind about the TWM throttles that came with my intake manifold. Because their butterfly valves are mounted close to the intake side, the linkage arm extends past the end of the throttle body, making mounting an airbox impossible without lengthening the runners with extensions. I also have a Jenvey kit to hook up a throttle cable, so its dimensions match up perfectly with Jenvey's throttles. So I wound up ordering a set of Jenvey throttles & fuel rails with the same dimensions. They custom-made a longer extension tab on the left throttle's lever so it could span the wider gap on my manifold, too! I got it all hooked up tonight, and it works pretty great

Also plan to switch to a remote-mounted oil filter, partly because the new throttles are wider and the original one doesn't fit anymore, and partly because it gives me the option of running an Accusump. Because racecar (and in case the pickup gets exposed while cornering).

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    Sucks about the wheels. The Jenvey's look good though!

It's been a while. The flywheel's clutch holes were off-center, so I sent it back to be re-drilled. I actually got it back a couple months ago, but found that the bolt holes for the flywheel bolts no longer let the bolts through (WTF??), and it sat in a box for the summer while life things happened and I searched for a new job. Found a new place that's way less stressful than my old job in Bellevue, and the new office is within walking distance of home and the 190 Over the weekend I brought the flywheel to a friend's to use his drill press and drill out the holes, and we found out that they were actually drilled the correct size, but the machinist had gone in from the other side and left a tiny lip of material, like the bit didn't go all the way through. I found some new wheels for it, too. They're not the Evo II wheels, but they're a real MB wheel of the same design, just 7.5" wide instead of 8.25" wide. I also picked up some 15mm spacers for the front wheels because the narrower width means a slightly different offset, and less clearance for those huge calipers. They only need maybe 6 or 8mm to just clear the calipers, but I wanted to start with some wiggle room. I'll get some pictures this weekend when I take some measurements to figure out what size bolt or stud I'll need up front.

Mounted but not tightened. The amount of clearance I need to clear the brakes is small enough that I can actually start threading the bolts into the hub. Stud conversion for the front is ordered so I can fit the 15mm H&R Trak+ spacers. H&R's site said something about needing to machine a lip in their smaller spacers to clear the front wheel bearing cap on my car, so I figured I'd go with the 15mm (which doesn't need any modification) to start and not deal with all that.

And of course, there's another parts fitment issue to figure out. There are two circular depressions on the engine support crossmember (or whatever it's called) that the engine mounts should fit into...but they don't. You can see here that the bottom face (facing the camera) of the engine mount is a little too large to fit into the circular depression. I emailed the guy who made the mounts to see what we can do about it. Last time he sent me a wrong part on accident, he just sent me the correct part for free (straight from Thailand), but I guess if push comes to shove I can either take it to someone with a lathe to have them reduce that diameter... or just run OEM engine mounts. We shall see.

At least I got the hoist facing the right direction now, for when I'm ready I'll have to lower the car a little so the engine clears that top radiator support. If only MB made all 190s like the inline-6 versions, where that piece is removable

Same issue with 80's Audis, lots of people cut the core support (and later regret it), then Audi made it removable on the next chassis.
    -Alex @vexartmedia-
    '01 Ducati ST4

I might have to decide on an Evo kit sooner than expected with 15mm spacers up front

The original bolts for the engine/bellhousing are pretty gross, so I bought replacements for them as well as all the other bolts I'd need to reinstall the motor. Took my starters to the local O'Reilly's to get tested and found one is totally dead, and the one I pulled from the car spins under power but the machine still failed it. Tried to break it down to clean, but the solenoid screws all need to be drilled out and replaced, so I said f--- it and ordered a new one Might try mating the engine and transmission over the weekend, and then I gotta find some assistance once the starter arrives to drop the whole shebang back into place. That'll be nice...

I got one of these Thread Checker things in metric and I have to say it's been wicked handy:

+ Reply to Thread