Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: My 190E 2.3-16

All of these engines have a tendency to run hot, or just yours?
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

Regular Member alxdgr8 will become famous soon enough
    Mine runs pretty cool, 80C if I'm moving, 100C if I'm sitting in traffic. I think I need to check my thermostat. People say these engines make the most power at about 110C, they like it warm apparently.
    -Alex @vexartmedia-
    '10 VW Touareg TDI [Tow Rig and DD]
    '92 Porsche 968 (VW 07k 2.5T swap in the works) --- '95 Audi 90QS (1.8T swap) --- '86 Audi Coupe GT (2.3L 20v swap) ---'83 Audi UrQuattro (2.2L 20vt swap in progress)
    '01 Ducati ST4

Normal Member ExplosiveToaster will become famous soon enough ExplosiveToaster's Avatar
    Mine ran pretty hot, but part of that I'm sure was the crappy electromagnetic clutch on the cooling fan... that didn't have a shroud around it. I'm replacing that with a better electric fan, but I'm trying to avoid any other problems while I have the engine apart.
    - Mike | My Photos | '16 VW Golf R | '87 Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.3-16

Normal Member ExplosiveToaster will become famous soon enough ExplosiveToaster's Avatar
    Well...I got 7/10 bolts. Fortunately they're the right types, and I have a full set of 6 for the front caps (threaded heads to support the oil baffle). Unfortunately the remaining 4, which I paid for and the order did say was ordered, only showed up as 1 bolt in a bag. And the invoice slip just had a "1" circled next to the printed "4" in the quantity box. The dealership ordered me another 3 from Germany, so hopefully I'll have the full set sometime this week.

Quote: Originally Posted by Twelvizm View Post
    Anyone looking for a Cossie?

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=329083
    Eww, auto. I can't imagine how slow the car would be with a slushbox, my 5spd is slower than my Touareg I feel. But at that price, you might be able to come out decent if you could find a cheap 5spd swap.
    -Alex @vexartmedia-
    '92 Porsche 968 (VW 07k 2.5T swap in the works) --- '95 Audi 90QS (1.8T swap) --- '86 Audi Coupe GT (2.3L 20v swap) ---'83 Audi UrQuattro (2.2L 20vt swap in progress)
    '01 Ducati ST4

Holy shit that's in way better shape for only $1000 more than I paid Let's get a third Cossie on here

EDIT: Also, forgot to mention. ETA on the remaining 3 bolts is 8/15 MB Germany has to procure more of them first, then ship them over to me, so I guess the one was literally the last one available in the country/world(?). I'm contemplating just buying 4 more of the oil baffle bolts and calling it good. Same fasteners, just with a slightly taller head. Shouldn't be anywhere near hitting the oilpan though.
    Last edited by ExplosiveToaster; 2014.07.09 at 19:27 PM.

*crickets*

So Barrier MB received my 3 bolts and then promptly put them somewhere they forgot. So they're ordering another 3 for me. ETA 2-4 days. One day I'll be able to get this engine back in one piece! At least the cylinder walls are still nice and clean.

you and Chris both have had lame hold ups with getting your engines back together
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

Got my bolts! Barrier recieved 4 instead of just the 3 I needed, so I got a free spare. I think this weekend I'll get back to work on the engine.

finally

Regular Member Helios is on a distinguished road Helios's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    you and Chris both have had lame hold ups with getting your engines back together
    My holdup now is the slow ass doing the build.

Header is here now, so I don't think I'm waiting for anything else big. I'm sure I'll still need to get a fitting or 2 as I get the final routing for the oil coolers figured out... Hopefully I can find some time this weekend. Last weekend sucked. Stuck in traffic all day Friday, Saturday was spent at a friend's memorial then over to visit another friend I haven't seen in a couple years. Then Sunday went to look at the new prospect, and did some prep work on the M5 for sale as I've already been getting a little loose interest.
    -Chris S.

"If they ain't a little too wide, they ain't wide enough!"
    '76 Mk1 / '87 XR4Ti / '93.5 SLC / '94 SVT / '95 RS / '96 GTi

Any experience with rebuilding the LSD or know of someone local who does?
    I'm assuming my clutch packs are shot since when I turn one wheel, the other does nothing (doesn't spin the same way like it should, or the other way if it were an open diff).
    -Alex @vexartmedia-
    '01 Ducati ST4

I don't, but if you do I think the LSD on my car could also use a rebuild. I picked up an '86 diff and a spare set of axles a while back. That one needs a different ABS connector spliced onto the harness though since they changed the connector for 87 ^_^

Normal Member V8-190e is on a distinguished road V8-190e's Avatar
    Not that you probably want to on a Cosworth car.... But the Nissan diff swap is pretty easy to do and they are bullet proof. Also some come with some pretty aggressive gearing. Probably all said and done not much difference in cost to getting yours rebuilt. Just my 2 cents.

Pierre

Thanks, that's certainly good to know just in case I know the '86 diff I have is ready to go, and it spins both wheels the same way, I just need to splice old wiring if I decide to go that route...

On the engine front, things seem to have stalled again. The new crank I have has a much narrower center journal than the one that came in the car, but it supposedly came from a 1991, which should have the same type of block as my car built in 11/86. Mine was just after they switched designs and started using thicker thrust washers, and this one only seems to fit if I use the thinner variety that AFAIK is from the old block. They still fit on mine, I'm just not sure if I'm supposed to need them for this.

EDIT: So I should be safe using the narrower thrust washers. I think the wider 4mm ones I have are because MB was using cranks with wider journals on the M102s shortly after they changed the design, and switched to narrower ones later on. I went to Barrier and they've special ordered me a pair of 2.2mm thrust washers from Germany. Should get here in about a week. Fingers crossed this is the last thing I need in order to get that silly bottom end together
    Last edited by ExplosiveToaster; 2014.08.29 at 15:59 PM.

Junior Member Herbert. is on a distinguished road
    Hey nice running into you Mike!!! PM me with your # and lets grab a beer!!

Quote: Originally Posted by Herbert. View Post
    Hey nice running into you Mike!!! PM me with your # and lets grab a beer!!
    Same! Funny running in to you like that

Good news! Monday I got my new thrust washers in, went over to the garage to seal up the fittings on my new 8-gal air compressor. Nothing serious compared to what I've seen around here, but hey I could lift it over the car to get it in there
    Wound up cleaning the crank again, then wound up cleaning the block some more and installing it That went in nicely, spins smoothly but definitely feels like everything is fitting together a little better (because it is...)

Tonight I went back and gave the pistons and bores a little cleaning, and about 2 hours later I had this!

New timing chain rail is on the way. I think most everything in the timing cover is still in good shape, but I'll start cleaning those up and inspecting them in a bit. Nice to finally be moving forward again!

Woot, looks great!
    -Alex @vexartmedia-
    '01 Ducati ST4

Spent some time cleaning up the timing cover, oil pump, and chain tensioner. Got the oil pump back together in the timing cover, minus the pickup tube (I forgot where I put the gasket...)

I'm going to need the tool for installing the connector link on the timing chain

Normal Member V8-190e is on a distinguished road V8-190e's Avatar
    Good looking looking progress!

clean engines look aawesome

So I forgot to check on the oil pressure relief valve (the cylinder that runs through the timing cover on the far left of that photo). It's basically a spring-loaded piston that is pushed back by oil pressure. Turns out the one that's in there is a bit scarred on the outside (I actually had to make a tool to tap it loose), so I've ordered a new piston, spring, and seal, as well as a pickup gasket and the rubber seal I need between the oil pump and engine block. A lot of cheap parts that cost fractions of what the shipping charges were >_< I got lucky though, ECS had a parts kit on sale for refreshing the driveshaft bearing that comes with all the seals and the rubber boot, so I picked that up. The downside to learning as I go is that sometimes I learn things after the fact, but I'd rather catch potential problems now instead of when they're actual problems!

But hey, I now have this for riveting timing chains like a pro:

I have a feeling I'm going to be changing my chain/tensioner/pads/etc. in a few weeks, might bounce a few questions off ya when I get there. I can't find in the records when it's been done last...hopefully it has been at some point! Need it to last 2k miles to Vegas and back.
    -Alex @vexartmedia-
    '01 Ducati ST4

I have the W201 factory service manual in PDF form, it covers the timing chain replacement procedure if you need it. Is your chain stretched or rattling? If you have one of the newer ratcheting styles of tensioner, it should be OK to reuse if it's in good shape. If you need to replace the rails you're going to need to pull the head and timing cover, though.

+ Reply to Thread