Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: German styling, British steel, American muscle.

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar

German styling, British steel, American muscle.

Now how can you beat that? Needless to say there's a new car in the stable, an old British roadster! :heart:

I've always been a Triumph fanatic...actually, the car that got me interested in cars is the Triumph Herald.

But onto the new family addition...

This car started its life as a 1970 Triumph TR6. Designed by Karmann, but still built on the same underpinnings as the TR250. Being an early TR6, it sports the much nicer looking front end.

However, this one has been 'improved'. The old inline 6 was thrown out, replaced by a bored and stroked aluminum Olds 215...essentially the same motor as the Buick 215, which later became the Rover V8. This Olds has been bored and stroked to 262ci, blueprinted and balanced. Runs and sounds fantastic. This motor is also about 30 pounds lighter than the original six.

The TR6 started life with that leaky, heavy 4 speed...but now you can easily cruise on the freeway with a Borg Warner T5 out of a third gen Camaro.

But how about the rear you might ask? It has a posi rearend out of a first gen Datsun Z.

Price? Cheap...but it does need TLC!

Loaded up:

Our trusty tow rig: 1998 Toyota Tacoma, 2.7, 5 speed. It had a hard time towing the TR6 over the mountains but it made it without complaining, slow and steady.

Out on the road, we met a guy towing his '40 Studebaker. We hung out to chat for a while.

All unloaded:

There might be enough room between the exhaust manifolds and the chassis to squeeze a penny in.

Interior needs some help...

Can't mistake that shift knob...

Sounds good too!

This TR6 is an absolute hoot to drive! A speeding ticket machine if you don't watch yourself.

Plans? Fix it up and drive the heck out of it.

I'll keep y'all posted as this thing runs and drives, but needs some serious help.

**** yeah!
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Regular Member benny_mech will become famous soon enough
    Nice! I dig restifications.
    “Religion is a defense against the experience of God.”
    — C.G. Jung

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    It's everything a TR6 should have been from the factory.

Lays down rubber on command...and boy, it goes like stink! (not quite as fast as the '55 though )

That said, it needs a TON of work. I haven't dug into it yet but this car has been sitting for years.

It has no brakes, the tires are toast, electrical is a little messy, but worst of all, the clutch slave doesn't have enough throw...so the transmission needs to be rebuilt.

I'm not planning on truly driving it until next spring.

So sick.
    I'm all jacked up on Mountain Dew!

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    nice!

Euro-Elitist Moderator VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus's Avatar
    :clap:
    SOME PEOPLE ARE NARROW MINDED, OTHERS LIVE IN REALITY ~ EURO-ELITISM

l Arron lSPACE

Quote: Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
    the clutch slave doesn't have enough throw...so the transmission needs to be rebuilt.
    Couldn't this be a lot of things? Air in the line, clutch master cylinder too small, bad release bearing, fubar'd or wrong pressure plate/clutch/flywheel combo?
    — C.G. Jung

Regular Member alxdgr8 will become famous soon enough
    Love it! I've always wanted a TR6
    -Alex @vexartmedia-
    '03 Audi S8 (Avus/Oxblood - DD)
    '92 Porsche 968 (VW 07k 2.5T swap in the works) --- '86 Audi Coupe GT (2.3L 20v swap) ---'83 Audi UrQuattro (2.2L 20vt swap in progress)

Quote: Originally Posted by benny_mech View Post
    Couldn't this be a lot of things? Air in the line, clutch master cylinder too small, bad release bearing, fubar'd or wrong pressure plate/clutch/flywheel combo?
    I haven't thoroughly inspected it, but. The clutch pedal is sloppy, it needs new pivot bushings. This slop means 1/8 of an inch less throw at the slave (it doesn't have much to begin with). Instead of fixing it, the PO chose just to drive it like that, hence the syncros in the transmission are toast. In any case, it all has to come out, I'm thinking of using a wilwood setup. The less British parts I use, the better.

Also, it has no brakes...I haven't tried to bleed the system yet, but my bet is on the master, it has some nasty fluid in it.

Ah, bad synchros will do it.

Drool:

— C.G. Jung

Yes, awesome stuff. I so happen to still have a Wilwood pedal and master cylinder mount laying around from when I was putting the '55 together.

But that's for later, first, I need to figure out exactly what's going on.
    The TR will lose all of its wheels and be placed on jackstands. I'll attempt to bleed the brakes tonight.

More info to follow!

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    Good luck!

Update #1!

Couldn't get any improvement in the brake pedal. Everything in the brake system looks brand new, even the front calipers. I was surprised to see all brand new parts when I removed the brake drums as well. A new brake master is on order, even though I did get the system to bleed...but it seems to barely be moving fluid.

The clutch slave was leaking like a son of a...so clutch master, slave and stainless braided hose are on order.

It has a remote oil filter mount...that's not mounted to anything. Need to fix that.

Tomorrow the transmission will be drained...we'll see what kind of horrors await us in that fluid.

I sure wish it was this easy to buy parts for old watercooled Volkswagens...

It hard to find air cooled parts? There's several companies that repop every little nut and bolt.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Quote: Originally Posted by Twelvizm View Post
    It hard to find air cooled parts? There's several companies that repop every little nut and bolt.
    She said watercooled...

I don't read so good sometimes.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Its all good.

Figured out what paint color they used on this TR6

"Dark Cloisonne Metallic", used on the '94 thru '96 Corvette.

Not bad. Seems a bit off on a TR. Needs moar BRG.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Quote: Originally Posted by Twelvizm View Post
    Not bad. Seems a bit off on a TR. Needs moar BRG.
    I like the color. The TR was red originally. I've never been a huge fan of BRG...

very nice!
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

Thanks Joel!

Drained the fluid out of the transmission, after making a 'special' tool...square drive 'allen wrench'. Not easy to get to anything on this car.

Of course the old fluid was full of shavings...

But, the first box of parts arrived, yay!

I have always liked the tr6's.. but doubt I'd ever buy one because of it being a triumph
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

+ Reply to Thread