Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: German styling, British steel, American muscle.

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    I have always liked the tr6's.. but doubt I'd ever buy one because of it being a triumph
    But that's why this one is nice...the only things left Triumph are the body and the front brakes.

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    Oh, the brake lights don't work...switch is good though.

But anyway, took the pedal cluster out, rebuilt it and put it back in.

Normal Member ExplosiveToaster will become famous soon enough ExplosiveToaster's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
    But, the first box of parts arrived, yay!
    Not long before you wind up with a big pile o' parts waiting to go in
    - Mike | My Photos | '16 VW Golf R | '87 Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.3-16

Some parts finally went in today...

So, I didn't like the amount of throw the clutch fork had (almost none).

Sawed a hole in the body for easy access, and used a BFH to pound the body in a little allowing for more throw.

Installed a slave from a Miata and made an adjustable push rod. Had Fluid Connectors here in Bend make me an adapter line. What a mess that was to figure out, the Brits use weird sizes.

Little by little...I just don't have the time. But I have to get it all back together and the TR off the jack stands if I want to put the Rabbit in the garage.

Regular Member benny_mech will become famous soon enough
    Just had to get the Japanese involved in this project too?
    “Religion is a defense against the experience of God.”
    — C.G. Jung

the japanese were missing until then...
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    the japanese were missing until then...
    Actually, they were not, as this car's rearend is out of an early Datsun Z.

But long story short, I looked at every single clutch slave in the book and this Miata one seemed to fit my needs the best. I do have an RX-7 one for a backup.

Probably time to do what should have been done in the first place. Drop the transmission, have it rebuilt.

We'll see. A friend of mine really wants to drive it before the snow flies. I told him right from the beginning that may not happen. But since he owns half the car too...we'll see.

How about an update?

No I'm not out driving it yet, we moved it out of the shop...it still doesn't have any brakes. There must be air in the system somewhere but I haven't bothered to buy a power bleeder yet.

Here are some pics:

The pedal box is all refurbished with new bushings etc.

In the process of putting it all back together:

Hole #1 cut for slave access:

The passenger front brake caliper was no good...so.
    New brake calipers installed:

And braided stainless hoses:

New clutch and brake masters, new clutch line:

It wasn't easy to adapt things, using a factory master and a slave from a Miata. Had a custom clutch hose made:

Cut hole #2, for easy clutch fork access:

Of course the holes cut will be fixed nicely and correctly. Just not quite yet.

do you just need working brakes to have it driving? does the engine run right now?
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

It runs and drives at the moment. Just need to play with the length of the clutch slave pushrod and get the air out of the brake system somehow. Apparently 3 quarts of brake fluid weren't enough. It probably needs to be pressure bled...which means I need to buy a pressure bleeder.

And back on the road!!

Took forever to find someone willing to rebuild the transmission...but it's done!
    Come to find out it had a custom made aluminum flywheel...thankfully we have a guy in our machine shop that was willing to turn it.

Just in time for the sunshine:

No AC? No, don't you even try AC Cobra.

Shiny!

Next on the list?

A shorter shifter.
    Front wheel bearings.
    Outer tie rods.
    Alignment.
    And some new tires.

Maybe after that tear up the roads this summer and then start on the top and the dash.

Regular Member benny_mech will become famous soon enough
    Looking good!
    “Religion is a defense against the experience of God.”
    — C.G. Jung

Thanks! Such a blast to drive, especially now that the clutch operates correctly thanks to McLeod.

Regular Member Helios is on a distinguished road Helios's Avatar
    As you get the clutch broken in, let me know what you think of the Mcleod clutch. I'm thinking of going that route on the Cobra when she's due...which is probably going to be sooner than later (thinking next year if I'm lucky).
    -Chris S.

"If they ain't a little too wide, they ain't wide enough!"
    '76 Mk1 / '86 Rocco / '87 XR4Ti / '93.5 SLC / '94 SVT / '95 RS / '03 GC Limited

So far so good, I'll keep you posted. I feel like it was really worth the investment.

+ Reply to Thread