Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Corrado TDI (VERY picture intensive)

everyone probably knows me by now girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood's Avatar

Corrado TDI (VERY picture intensive)

I figured I'd condense this car's progress onto here... so here it goes.

I bought the car in '07 with a STGIV+ Lysholm setup on it. The day I bought it, the heater core exploded (just an idea of how this relationship has gone). I immediately drove it from WA to GA within 2wks of buying it (http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...rado!-(made-it). A couple days before I have to leave GA and go to AK, the one of the shift cables snaps. I limp it to a storage facility and leave it there for a couple years. In 2010, I flew down to pick it up and drive it back to WA (http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...(pic-intensive). I was very displeased and found that it had been t-boned while in storage (http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...led-my-Corrado) by what I could only assume was a riding lawn mower. I had it towed to a shop and I replaced all the filters, plugs, etc. getting it ready for another cross-country trip. With only a few repairs (fan, radiator neck, shift cable, etc.) we were on the way... until NM where the ECU fried. I rented a U-Haul and trailer and towed it the rest of the way.

The first thing that happened was fixing the damage sustained while in storage (which I almost didn't get compensated for; and when I finally did, it was a slap in the face ). I also shaved the rear wiper/squirter, front squirters, antenna, rear emblem, rear seams under the taillights, the side moldings, and some other things here and there. Nothing major, I wanted it clean. Originally it was just going to be a weekend driver kind of car... but that has now changed into me wanting it to be a daily driver. Which sucks, considering I don't have wiper squirters and all that now. Oh well. The exterior was single-stage PPG and the engine bay was base/clear Omni.

I've had a lot of cars, not many are worth much of a mention, and not many changed a lot in my possession. This is the first car that I've done extensive changes to, and is the car I've owned the longest. I think this will be one of those cars that I just hang onto for many years.

A couple months later, I decided to swing a deal with a friend and trade the Lysholm engine out of it for a '79 Rabbit diesel with a rebuilt (less than 1k) 1.6D with a diesel 5spd. I miss this car We sold it to local guy; he says it's still the best thing he's ever spent that much money on.

This is how it sat after the majority of the body work and before the engine swap was started:

And then, after endlessly looking at TDIs and swaps, I decided to do a Corrado TDI. After seeing a silver SLC turned TDI and seeing how clean it was, I knew that was what I wanted. So I bought this (ALH w/ VNT 17/22 and an 02J):

The lump that came out:

The one that's going in:

A few pictures of some items hanging on my buddy's "Wall of Shame":

While we were going over a few things, we received a call from another friend at his shop up the road. He had made a slight mis-calculation while pulling out the engine/trans in his Corvette that caused him to be stuck with standing on the rear of the cherry picker for counter-balance. After we got to his place and took a few pictures and made fun of him, we helped.

Towing the car to the place of swap:

What the Lysholm engine went into (another Corrado):

I felt really bad trading that engine setup for the diesel Rabbit... Less than a week after he got it running (he also re-did paint and body stuff during the swap), the charger seized

I decided to do an ABS delete, and clean up the wiring a tad bit in the engine bay.

At this point, I wound up buying a SBC Stg2 clutch, timing belt kit, new mounts, and tons of maintenance items to get it prepped before going in. After doing a mockup, it took about 30min to realize that the cables and transmission I had were different (cables were early, transmission was late). Lars started working on the wiring and cutting out unnecessary parts, splicing the Mk4 and Corrado harnesses together.

My old engine in another Corrado; almost done.

No clearance between the VNT actuator and motor mount bracket.

I really want to use a remote oil filter kit with an air-oil cooler, but funds aren't allowing it at this time.

A lot of the progress was made while I was on my last deployment, and I received CDs with updates and videos which was awesome. I was hoping it would be done by the time I returned, but there were a lot of issues that they wanted to see which way I wanted to go with it before moving forward.

Video:

Working on the engine bay:

And for kicks and giggles, a picture of me and my remaining guys on our last air-assault mission.

So when I bought the car, it was a wiring nightmare already... haggard 'fix' jobs, aftermarket wires everywhere (alarm, stereo, etc), splices, power-stealers, etc. Since we were basically meshing 2 harnesses together, my buddy was kind enough to fix everything else while he was in there. It's still a work in progress with the wiring, but he's done a LOT already.

Interior progress:

Wires cut from the 'original' Corrado harness

I don't think this is supposed to be exposed... (spoiler relay)

The Mk4 Harness that's being adapted to the Corrado's

Clearance for the AC compresser (had to grind/re-weld the subframe slightly to allow flex from the engine mounts)

Passenger side clearance

This is the possible issue right now... it seems to be sitting extremely high

And the passenger side seems to be elevated

This is the go-pedal connector (round) and the harness for it (rectangle). We need to figure out which way we want to go with this..

Actual go-pedal (I need to verify what it's out of so we can wire it properly)

Bought these for my old 1.8BT Syncro B3 wagon, but sold it before I had a chance to install them. So why not put them on here?

New subframe/steering rack (my old one was destroyed, and the housing was somehow cracked)

This is the VSS connector that we have on the harness (bottom right), and the VSS we have installed (top left). We need to figure out what would be the best route to go to make this work (would like to know if we can keep the harness wiring and just buy the correct VSS for it, but what is it?)

Can anyone tell me where this coolant pipe is suppose to be connected to? It's a hard-pipe that plugs into the t-stat housing area and we have the rest figured out except this outlet... what's it go to? You can see it just to the left of the very bottom of the dipstick tube.

Battery is re-located to the trunk and we're trying to find a good spot for the 'jump-block' to be installed (out of a BMW). Depending on how the intake sits in here, it might go something like this. I still need to source a cheap (read FREE) Mk4 TDI airbox... I have a Mk3 style TDI box to trade

Some engine bay shots

The main mastermind (Lars):

And for kicks... a TDI Suzuki Samarai that he did:

Today I just ordered an 02A slave cylinder (metal that works in place of the plastic 02J one) and required hose from USPMotorsport to make it work with the the M/C, an oil separator (11151705237 from a BMW E39 M5). Tomorrow, I'll be ordering the crank-pulley bolts (not sure how those got rounded off, but I want those replaced) and 02J shift cable retainers (I lost them over the months) from Aurburn VW and then an 'Old Man Intake' from KermaTDI. I have Kerma's ALH intake manifold, too, and after talking with Paul, we think this will be a good setup for the intake...just need the stock air-box now.
    Last edited by girdwood; 2013.08.18 at 17:18 PM. Reason: added content

wow...
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

Great thread! Lots if pics, easy to follow narrative. Would read again!
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

everyone probably knows me by now girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood's Avatar
    I'm getting antsy... not sure why my parts aren't in yet...

President, MK2 Society trip permit has a spectacular aura about trip permit has a spectacular aura about trip permit's Avatar
    Awesome Matt! Get her done!

Due to very unfortunate recent events, Lars will probably not be able to finish this anymore. I'll now be looking for somewhere to store it and/or finish it in the near future.

Last night we had a going away get together for the original master mind behind the project, he's leaving for Denmark for a while (possibly for good). When he was cleaning his place out, he found a binder that had been with the Corrado since 2 owners before me that has documents for all the receipts and everything. Here is one of the for sale ads (from the owner who sold it to the guy I bought it from). Sweet wheels!

Regular Member Helios is on a distinguished road Helios's Avatar
    An SLC hood will buy you a little extra clearance, if you still need it. The SLCs needed a domed hood to clear the VR lump.
    -Chris S.

"If they ain't a little too wide, they ain't wide enough!"
    '76 Mk1 / '86 Rocco / '87 XR4Ti / '93.5 SLC / '94 SVT / '95 RS / '03 GC Limited

I might have to go that route During storage, the hood fell and pushed a massive dent through it and cracked the fresh paint. I like the G60 hood more, with the bumps over the wheels instead of the center of the hood, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the damage now.

Regular Member Helios is on a distinguished road Helios's Avatar
    That sucks.
    -Chris S.

"If they ain't a little too wide, they ain't wide enough!"
    '76 Mk1 / '86 Rocco / '87 XR4Ti / '93.5 SLC / '94 SVT / '95 RS / '03 GC Limited

+ Reply to Thread