Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Networking / ISP question(s)

I'd be worried if it didn't have a high uptime on a regular basis
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    Though I did just break the streak, installed a firmware update.

Ron, FWIW, pfSense can run on super-minimal hardware. Mine is on a PIII 1Ghz, 512MB RAM, and using a 2GB CF card for the hard drive.
    -Tyler-

I still have a hard time thinking of a p3 1ghz as being 'minimal'. To me, a Raspberry Pi is minimal.. these days

one of my servers is a dual p3/1ghz machine.. still does a lot of work.
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    can't kill the stupid things!
    -Tyler-

Farmer Ron Arsigi is a jewel in the rough Arsigi is a jewel in the rough Arsigi's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by twardnw View Post
    whoa, just checked, my pfSense router has been up for 593 days
    Wow, that's crazy. I don't see that happening in my case, given the somewhat iffy power situation.

I think I have an ideal candidate lurking... somewhere. Everything still in chaos after the move!
    Ron a.k.a. Arsigi
    Spokane's Most Posted on here, too...
    FlügenWeb. Späcecode. TwitZöne. Ass Möde.

(⌐■_■)
    Mine is behind a UPS
    -Tyler-

Farmer Ron Arsigi is a jewel in the rough Arsigi is a jewel in the rough Arsigi's Avatar
    Unless my UPS gets backed-up by an auto-switching generator of some kind, I don't think that will help.

Ah, the joys of living in the country.
    Ron a.k.a. Arsigi

a UPS is still a good idea.. for brown outs and short outages. I have all of my networking gear on a UPS, and my main computer on a UPS. If anything, it lets me shut things down smoothly.

Tyler.. are you using your pfsense machine as a wireless access point as well? If so.. what wifi device?

(⌐■_■)
    nope, haven't done that. I just have a couple of old Linksys WRT-54G's running DD-WRT, one AP, one repeater/bridge
    -Tyler-

Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    a UPS is still a good idea.. for brown outs and short outages. I have all of my networking gear on a UPS, and my main computer on a UPS. If anything, it lets me shut things down smoothly.
    Oh, definitely. Even more so at the new place. Just saying that that there have been at least 3 multiple-hour outages in the 3 months we've been there, keeping anything up for 500+ hours would take more!
    Ron a.k.a. Arsigi

Hours = days

I think I'll pick up a cheap device that can act as a wireless bridge.. and then just connect that to a pfsense computer.

yeah. I need to look around.. pretty sure I've seen a new wap that can act as a bridge or router for around $20

edit: yeah.. think this is what I want: http://www.edimax.com/en/produce_det...id=3&pl2_id=18

(⌐■_■)
    ooh, that's pretty cool
    -Tyler-

it has good reviews from people on the dd-wrt forums, for a cheap'ish device that comes with its own nice firmware

+ Reply to Thread