Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Old Man E21 with young roots: Tracy

Junior Member Spoona_Jay21 will become famous soon enough Spoona_Jay21's Avatar

Spoona's 81' E21: Tracy

Well, as my first post, i should intro both me and my new car. My Name is Jason, i have been into euro's for a good ten years or so now, but before this(and before my mom got her E36) I was a Dub guy, still to this day my dream build is to build the perfect Diesel Cabby. Recently i went to old J-tin when my dad Got his first Datsun, so as of now, I am a Datsun Fanatic.

Anyway, enough with that!

so, two weeks ago this sunday, for my 18th b-day my whole family decided to chip in and get me one of what i once considered, one of my Dream cars, A 1981 E21 BMW 320i.

anyway, enough talking, here are some pics!

END GOALS:
    -Possibly Bagged
    -Nicer Wheels
    -Redo the interior (recovering seats in new Tan Leather, new front seats,ect)
    -Possible M50 swap in the DISTANT future

As of now i have bigger problems, getting it running! which i will cover what is goin on, and what I have done in the Following Posts.
    Last edited by Spoona_Jay21; 2014.03.10 at 21:02 PM.

So first Day i had it, i had to do rear brakes, cool thing was i had all the parts do deal with it, My first Brake Job on my own(usually have my dad to help)

Apologize for the Sh**y Pics but i had my friend taking them.... and he is the laziest person i know.

welcome!

Adam will be happy

you'll need to post pics of Datsun's too
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

The car is Sitting at my Grandma's house in Seattle so i can't work on it every day, but on the weekends i can. went back up last weekend and did some more work, alot of little stuff, and learned why it won't Fire. No fuel to the injectors. but with limited resources at the time did alot of little things

-New Fuel Filter
    -New Brake switch
    -New Hazard switch
    -New headlights(mine were ****ED)
    -Got the brakes adjusted and bled
    -New Injector Seals and cleaned the Injectors

anyway, here are pics

^Test fit of the Basket-weaves^

^Didn't Realize BMW was trying 3-piece Headlight technology!^

Anyway, thats what I have at the moment. She not perfect, but the Perfect Start.

More progress tonight, goin to hopefully figure out why i'm gettin no fuel.

Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    welcome!

Adam will be happy

you'll need to post pics of Datsun's too
    Thanks man! and I will get those pics sometime

what color is the e21? looks nice..
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    what color is the e21? looks nice..
    paint code:152 Cypress Green Metallic

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    your jacking point makes me cringe

welcome!
    -Tyler-

Quote: Originally Posted by twardnw View Post
    I have to do that on my M3 too.. from the front the front subframe is my jack point, and in the rear it's the rear diff support. Front jack stands end up a bit inboard, on the frame rails, and the rear jack points can be in the more normal location along the rocker panel, or inboard a bit, along the axles. I'm assuming the e21 is rather similar.

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    rear looks like it is directly on the diff housing
    -Tyler-

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    Thanks for posting! Looking forward to the progress.

rear looks like it is directly on the diff housing
    yeah.. the e21 may not have the same diff support than the e36 has. I can use the sort of 'U' shaped metal piece under the diff..

Quote: Originally Posted by buddylove View Post
    Thanks for posting! Looking forward to the progress.

welcome!
    thanks guys jack point was due to my inexperience. I'm used to solid axel cars :/ now I know

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    Welcome though!

I love E21's.

A Somebody Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody's Avatar
    Welcome to the site! Love that color.

Normal Member ExplosiveToaster will become famous soon enough ExplosiveToaster's Avatar
    It's awesome your family all chipped in and got you a project Good ol' K-Jet fueling system on the engine. Depending on how well the rest of the system works, and how technical you want to get, you could do an EFI swap. Someone's probably got the M10 running on MegaSquirt, and I think you could even get MS3 to control the VANOS on the M50. It's not the easiest thing in the world, but people have the MB M102 (similar 4-cyl) running on EFI for under $1k.
    Last edited by ExplosiveToaster; 2013.12.13 at 21:53 PM.
    - Mike | My Photos | '16 VW Golf R | '87 Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.3-16

Thanks for the Welcomes guys! got some more work and more parts this weekend.

So yesterday, we tore apart a few bits to get this fuelling crap figured out.
    -thought it might be the fuel Dizzy, so we tore that apart... or attempted too....

^the Rabbit Dizzy grabbed to use just in case^

While i was doin that, pops was tearin apart the rear seat area to pull the old in tank fuel pump to see if that was the problem.... too say the least... it is....

there is only 1 of 2 wires on the pump to the connector...

Also, my lights were being all weird and shit. like, my headlights, all 4, would turn on with they key, and my markers didn't work, were able to narrow it down to a bad headlight switch, so we tried to fix it.... that failed. when we apply pressure to the front 4 connectors all the lights work as they should.

also tried to find out what was goin on with my heater, so we pulled the cowling off to inspect, and i have a bad blower motor. so another thing to fix.

and in the process of that, we broke the Distributor cap....

so, now onto the fun things! went to the junkyard and grabbed some fun stuff out of a few 5's, 6's, and 7's.

-2 new headlight switches out of a few e24's
    -2 new mirror switches(mine is broken...) outof an e23 and an e24
    -a new auto shift knob out of an e28, as mine is broken....
    -a new lug wrench from an e28, mine was missing.....
    -and a flashlight out of an e24

Anyway, thats what i have for today. at least we were able to figure out what the hell is goin on, and hopefully in another 2 weeks or so i can finally drive her home!

Junior Member datto62073 is on a distinguished road
    hopefully kiddo. i have been helping on this thing. at least the radio works. but i have been mainly stupid-vising. he has done most of the work. i will be ordering up the fuel pump assembly tomorrow. also new cap and rotor since i broke the old one, date stamped 86.

And i forgot one more thing. My new stickers for old girl

Woot! E21's are cool I suppose. /sarcasm. Have fun with the old lady. They are pretty simple to work on. And when you decide to ditch that 4cyl and go with an E30 M20B25, let me know, I have a couple M20 subframes laying around here somewhere. As well as a small cache of cool parts. Cheers, and welcome to the E21 Legion.

Here's my current 320is, its my 4th E21.

I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Quote: Originally Posted by Twelvizm View Post
    Woot! E21's are cool I suppose. /sarcasm. Have fun with the old lady. They are pretty simple to work on. And when you decide to ditch that 4cyl and go with an E30 M20B25, let me know, I have a couple M20 subframes laying around here somewhere. As well as a small cache of cool parts. Cheers, and welcome to the E21 Legion.

Here's my current 320is, its my 4th E21.
    Thanks man! glad to be with the e21 crowd =P

defiantly thinkin of swapping motors eventually, it's a pain to find parts for this thing.... but i do love it!

well... shit...

k. so we got her to sputter this weekend with the new in tank pump. on Ether...

but i learned my gas tank has almost as much rust as my truck.... and that ****ing sucks. so i really need to take care of that before it decides to clog the system... and eat my injectors up... and rings... and cylinder walls... and you get the point...

Anyone know where i could get a set of tanks for cheap???? mine are horrid and need to be replaced....

A Somebody Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody's Avatar
    According to pick n pulls website the Lynnwood one has a 83' 320 in the yard, I would call and double check first. There is also a BMW wrecking yard on Aurora but I can't remember the name right now.

Quote: Originally Posted by Mr.Nobody View Post
    According to pick n pulls website the Lynnwood one has a 83' 320 in the yard, I would call and double check first. There is also a BMW wrecking yard on Aurora but I can't remember the name right now.
    thanks man! i'll call Lynwood and see bout that 83'. Aurora tries to only carry things that will move so there aren't any E21's out there....

+ Reply to Thread