Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Old Man E21 with young roots: Tracy

Junior Member Spoona_Jay21 will become famous soon enough Spoona_Jay21's Avatar
    This was taken from my build Thread on onother forum, so if this doesn't make sense, I apologize

So here with updates from me with pics! not many... but some...

SHE LIVES!!!!!!!

or well... for like 30 seconds she did....

anyway, put the engine bay back together, and did a compression test, I don't remember the #'s, but i wrote them down, so on my next update they will be up.

so here was the engine bay 97% back together....

Fired her up and then we had a problem... busted hose.....

so we got that torn off and today new hose was picked up for that.

and now here are some random pics

New stickers on!

New rug for the back deck :fyea:

Test fitted some old Enkei 92's

And now some truly random picks of the car.

So thats what I have. I am horrible at taking pics, so I will try to do better this next time. hopefully we can get the tanks dropped and cleaned this weekend. If all goes as as planned....... We will drive her home this weekend!!!!!!!!

Quote: Originally Posted by datto62073
    Now on with MY update.

List of replaced parts that I bought.

in tank fuel pump (needed)
    fuel filter (maintenance)
    headlight switch (needed)
    headlights (needed as one was broken, low beam only)
    spark plugs (maintenance)
    cap and rotor (I broke the cap.)
    injector seals ( worn out and cracked. vac leak.)

Replaced parts that came with car.
    rear brake shoes and wheel cylinders. (needed to STOP car once its driveable)

what absolutely needs to be repaired/replaced before driving......
    air bypass hose from Idle valve to manifold (broke while putting it back on)
    fuel tanks cleaned
    a 1 foot section of fuel hose from accumulator to main fuel line (massive fuel leak from said hose.)
    trans service
    oil change
    diff service
    rad cap
    2 tires in the rear, fronts are almost new

Things it needs still but can be gotten whenever
    thermostat
    heater blower motor
    side marker lenses
    corner light lens
    ONE tail light lens
    fog light lenses
    shift knob that fits (we have one to modify but havent gotten to it yet)
    fuse box cover (cracked but covers)
    trunk seal

All in all not bad for a car that has been sitting 10+ years. It SHOULD be in worse shape but being an original Cali car its rust free. Except in the tanks anyway.

Any more updates are Jays to do. Unless I have anything more to add.

is the new hose on yet?
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    is the new hose on yet?
    Not yet, i can only work on it on the weekends as it is at my grandmothers house, in Seattle. So we will get that new hose on and the tanks dropped and cleaned on Saturday if it isn't rainin.

ahh right.

supposed to be ok weather this weekend
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

so this is the basic of what happened.

-Oil change
    -Fixed the shifter... ish....
    -finished putting the dash together
    - pulled and cleaned the fuel tanks
    -replaced a couple fuel lines

Anyway... here is the pics.

what caused the fuel leak the last time we were out

New Hose

Old filter out!

New filter in

The helper in all this

old filter and shit... eww....

and then the fun part began... Siphoning out the 11 year old gas....

IT LOOKS LIKE APPLEJUICE!!!!!!!!

Found out, i have fairly new Cat-back exhaust!

and tanks out

and now comes the gross part... alot of rust flakes in the tank, which isn't a good bit......

MORE APPLEJUICE!!!!

so this is a 33 year old car... you would expect rust out the ass... YOU WERE WRONG!!!!!!!!!

the car wash... to the car wash... yeeeaaaahhh!

ALL CLEAN!

and a Ghetto fix of the column clam-shell

Another ghetto fix, shift knob work. this kinda gets it to work

a hole in the tank we ended up filling with a Well nut. doesn't leak, so for now we are fine.

and what was in the hole...... :troll:

so long story with no pics, While we were getting the Well nut to fix the hole in the tank it started raining... and we left everything open....

so we rushed back, got everythin cleaned up, tanks hooked back up, everything ready to go.. as it stopped raining....

the, we got it started... and another ful line boke so we had to go fix that. they didn't have the exact size line, DAMN YOU GERMANY ND YOUR 10MM FUEL LINES!!!!!!

so we got that fixed, WE GOT HER TO FIRE! AND DRIVE!!!!!! with so much ****ing smoke you would swear someone put a smoke grenade in the ****ing pipe, too much water out the exhaust pipe, and shit smelled like coolant... AND! she won't go any faster than 20mph....

So we HOPE it is just a head gasket, so within the next moth.. the head is comin off, and an inspection of the head is happening.

Too say the least, the reason I didn't do the update on Saturday, was not too happy...

Anyway, that's what i have.

so many fuel issues

Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    so many fuel issues
    Yeah, but now, Hopefully, those are done. I'm hoping after this head gasket she will be good and ready to drive. hoping it isn't a cracked or warped head... if that's the case, I'm goin to say screw it, and save for an M44 swap...

so today we did a little work

Replaced my Radiator cap and, Tested the pressure in the cooling system... and there was none

and i found myself a new key chain. I think it fits the Old Man Vibe I want form her.

and if you wonderin why i have a key blank attached to the ring., my old key is SHIT and i want to get a crappy blank cut in better shape, see if it works, THEN cut the 35$ blank off the crappy new copy. it's just not top on the priority list.

So, we were able to get more work done on her.

What we did:

Our temporary fuel tank fix FAILED! no big deal, it was only a temporary fix. and the up side is we didn't have to worry bout draining the old fuel out!

so we picked up this stuff to fix it.

Which was a fail... so we got some Quicksteel to fix it right.

winch was a success! no more leakage, so now we are getting fuel all the way to the injectors with no leaks!

now on to the last wiring problem.... NO HEATER FAN!!!!!!!!!

tore everything apart, and found we had no power to the switch. looked at the diagrams, and realized that in that cuicuit, the Heater fan comes before the switch, so no power to the fan... no power to the switch. we jumped tthe fan to make it work, and the switch worked!

so now there is a single lead from the fuse box to the fan so that it works. once I get the time, i will fix the factory broken wire.

Also learned that our silly spring fix for the shifter.... didn't work.... oh well, twas worth a try

so with all that fixed, we tried to get her to start... AND SHE RAN!!!!!!!!!!

but she was smoking a little, so we decided to check the oil...

so now we get to yank the head and hopefully. it is just a head gasket. Anyway, since we are having problems with the shitty key that we have, we pulled one of the locks to lube, and get a new blank cut.

and some random pics of the car during the day.

Busted Cypress Hill tape, makes a nice drift charm

So, on the next installment... HEAD GASKET! I really hope thats all it is... i know this car is goin to reek Havok on me for the next few years due to sitting... but what are ya goin to do.

everyone probably knows me by now girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood's Avatar
    Doing werk! Looks like a fun project, hopefully it is just the head gasket.

Junior Member datto62073 is on a distinguished road
    i hope so too. if its no tehn its ot gonna be fun.

I've got an M20 subframe laying around for you when you're tired of playing with that M10.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Tempting! lol. but i think i will rock the M10 till it is un-fixable. or it decides to cost me too much. the goal is a cruiser so i don't need to much power seeing as this will be a daily.

I had a thought, but i'm not sure on it yet. I really like how the MK2 Jetta GLI spoilers look, so i need to take some measurements, see how hard it would be to make it work and possibly put one on. but getting it Lower first would be nice.

OH! does anyone know if i could use any E30 suspension stuff? like if i wanted to use E30 Coil overs, would they work without much cutting?

Not the same. Look at the FAQs on Bimmerforums. Get some Ground control sleeves/springs, cut the strut tubes, get MKI Rabbit Konis/Bilstein sports and call it a happy day.

Your new bible:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...and-DIYs-lt-lt

And getting an M20, doubling your hp, getting better mpg, and having a non-kjet motor is well worth doing if you have to do as much work as popping the head on an M10. Stop now, thank me later. You already well into the land of diminished returns.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

+ Reply to Thread