Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Das haus

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar

Das haus

Ok, guess I'll consolidate all the house related things here.

2420 sqft, built in 1951. 3 bed, 2 bath, separate 19x24 garage.

The view from across the street

Jen and I just after getting the keys from our agent

Immediately installed the Nest

First project, get new flooring down in the utility/laundry room. The tiles you can currently see have asbestos in them, the best and easiest way to deal with them is to just seal them in with another layer of flooring. To make the install easier, I took out the wall that was built to create a closet under the stairs. The shelving will come down soon too.

We are having a new electrical panel installed, and having the electrician run a new circuit for the fridge at the same time. To make it easier, and cost us less money, we are opening up the ceiling in the basement for them, and to facilitate a complete re-wire of the house (I'll do that myself, one room at a time).

90 minutes later...
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    The new fridge was delivered this morning
    -Tyler-

looks like the fridge we have.. needs a new water filter, but they appear to be hard to find. Nice otherwise though.

2400 sq-ft for a 3 bedroom is similar to our house... sounds nice. I'm envious that you're doing wiring already. I wish we could easily rewire some of our house.

pics of the garage?

and HUGE congrats
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

(⌐■_■)
    haven't taken any pics of the garage, but it's nothing to take pictures of yet. Studs, siding, roof, 2 windows. No shelving, workbenches, ceiling, electrical, anything.
    -Tyler-

Regular Member alxdgr8 will become famous soon enough
    Awesome! Congrats and good luck! I hope to start looking in a few months. Seems hard to find a decent garage for a decent price (at least in Seattle).
    -Alex @vexartmedia-
    '03 Audi S8 (Avus/Oxblood - DD)
    '92 Porsche 968 (VW 07k 2.5T swap in the works) --- '86 Audi Coupe GT (2.3L 20v swap) ---'83 Audi UrQuattro (2.2L 20vt swap in progress)

Definitely true in Seattle. Leave the city and your options open up immensely
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

(⌐■_■)
    For the area we moved in to, decent garages are most definitely the exception. There's a small group of houses, probably ~15, right in our immediate area, that have 2-car garages, and mine is larger than most of them.
    -Tyler-

Farmer Ron Arsigi is a jewel in the rough Arsigi is a jewel in the rough Arsigi's Avatar
    Very cool. You certainly aren't wasting any time!
    Ron a.k.a. Arsigi
    Spokane's Most Posted on here, too...
    FlügenWeb. Späcecode. TwitZöne. Ass Möde.

Euro-Elitist Moderator VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus's Avatar
    You should show people the awesome plumbing in the basement bathroom.... roflcopter
    SOME PEOPLE ARE NARROW MINDED, OTHERS LIVE IN REALITY ~ EURO-ELITISM

l Arron lSPACE

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    Those basement floor tiles look awfully familiar! At work, we polish them. I've often wondered how much asbestos gets thrown in the air by doing that...

everyone probably knows me by now girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood's Avatar
    Nice place! And as said before, not wasting any time!

Quote: Originally Posted by twardnw View Post
    We are having a new electrical panel installed, and having the electrician run a new circuit for the fridge at the same time. To make it easier, and cost us less money, we are opening up the ceiling in the basement for them, and to facilitate a complete re-wire of the house (I'll do that myself, one room at a time).
    If you need any electrical tools, LMK, I can get a pretty hefty discount at Platt. I also just recently got ±$800 of electrical tools for residential/industrial, and the collection will continue to grow. I don't want to offer my services since I'm still learning, but I can offer my tools lol

(⌐■_■)
    Pulled down a cabinet that was a bit in the way of the fridge.

Cut a big hole in the wall. There was a patch job done that I did not like at all, and it's a lot easier to replace a moderate sized piece of drywall than trying to make a large-ish patch.

Then, found this.

Dedicated 20-amp circuit for the fridge. Was only mounted to the drywall, and when the drywall gave out, rather than re-mounting the box, they just shoved it in the wall and plastered over it

Also absent, insulation

Started on the ceiling in the downstairs bedroom. Want to get this one all the way down before we move in anything, so that all of the office stuff can be put in here and not get covered in dust while working on more ceilings.

Hanging out from the ceiling, the wiring to the heat pump. Not fastened anywhere along it's run over the bedroom.
    -Tyler-

you're going to find so many more issues like that. Be glad you're fixing them!

(⌐■_■)
    That's one of the primary reasons for opening up so much. We know that at a minimum the wiring needs to be updated, and it gives us the opportunity to discover issues like these. Also on the docket now is re-plumbing all the hot and cold supply lines with PEX.
    -Tyler-

everyone probably knows me by now girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood's Avatar
    Wow! That's a bummer, but at least now you know. I can't believe what some people think is acceptable work.

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    Looks like you both have a lot of work ahead of you!

(⌐■_■)
    All the appliances and furniture were moved over yesterday. Now enjoying my first cup of coffee at the dining room table.
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    House's current status:
    -Tyler-

just means you have to wait a bit before you have power again

(⌐■_■)
    should be back on when I get home this evening
    -Tyler-

Farmer Ron Arsigi is a jewel in the rough Arsigi is a jewel in the rough Arsigi's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by twardnw View Post
    Dedicated 20-amp circuit for the fridge. Was only mounted to the drywall, and when the drywall gave out, rather than re-mounting the box, they just shoved it in the wall and plastered over it
    Wow.
    Ron a.k.a. Arsigi
    Spokane's Most Posted on here, too...
    FlügenWeb. Späcecode. TwitZöne. Ass Möde.

(⌐■_■)
    Almost wrapped up
    -Tyler-

that looks nice

did you consider a whole house surge protector?

(⌐■_■)
    I'll be installing one, soonish

-Tyler-

Nice! Looking good! Did you think of maybe using more conduit/EMT?

+ Reply to Thread