Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Das haus

the house has a sprinkler system? *envious*
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

Farmer Ron Arsigi is a jewel in the rough Arsigi is a jewel in the rough Arsigi's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    the house has a sprinkler system? *envious*
    X2

One of the main things I miss from my old place. No sprinklers, but not enough water for them even if they were there! Must fix well grrrr.
    Ron a.k.a. Arsigi
    Spokane's Most Posted on here, too...
    FlügenWeb. Späcecode. TwitZöne. Ass Möde.

that's one of a few things I would have asked to have changed/added if I could have been around when my house was built. The other things include better quality paint and carpet, the fence to be a little differently placed, and I'd want the garage to be extended out a few feet wider and a couple feet deeper (pleeeeeaaaase!)
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    It's really not that hard to add an irrigation system
    -Tyler-

I know. If we end up staying in this house for a while I might ask my dad to help us add one. He's installed several himself, and our yard is pretty small

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    Was so nice this morning, looked at the weather forecast, decided that the front lawn could use some extra water, and pushed a button
    -Tyler-

Farmer Ron Arsigi is a jewel in the rough Arsigi is a jewel in the rough Arsigi's Avatar
    Ha, I read this after just finishing my hand watering of the various plants in the dark.
    Ron a.k.a. Arsigi
    Spokane's Most Posted on here, too...
    FlügenWeb. Späcecode. TwitZöne. Ass Möde.

Regular Member benny_mech will become famous soon enough
    You people and your modern conveniences! My tiny UK house doesn't even have a dryer or microwave, or dishwasher. The kitchen is more like the galley on a boat than a kitchen...
    “Religion is a defense against the experience of God.”
    — C.G. Jung

some day you'll be back here and be amazed at everything

(⌐■_■)
    Have had an insulation crew in yesterday and today, air-sealed the attic, increased the venting, and blowing in ~14" total of cellulose.
    -Tyler-

heating bill go down?

(⌐■_■)
    Heating isn't so much the issue, cooling the house down in the summer is a bigger deal
    -Tyler-

everyone probably knows me by now girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by twardnw View Post
    Have had an insulation crew in yesterday and today, air-sealed the attic, increased the venting, and blowing in ~14" total of cellulose.
    Good deal. Did you do any research on insulations? I'm curious as to your findings if you have, I've been watching 'Holmes Inspection' and see them using the expanding foam type stuff.

Also, what do you mean air sealed the attic?

(⌐■_■)
    Spray foam wasn't an option, as I'm not yet done with electrical and plumbing replacement.

Air-sealing is just going around and sealing up any hole between the attic space and living space. Wires, pipes, light fixtures, etc. Just making sure air can't move between.
    -Tyler-

everyone probably knows me by now girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by twardnw View Post
    Spray foam wasn't an option, as I'm not yet done with electrical and plumbing replacement.

Air-sealing is just going around and sealing up any hole between the attic space and living space. Wires, pipes, light fixtures, etc. Just making sure air can't move between.
    Understandable about the future work and spray foam... that was my concern, too; how much of a PITA would that be to work around/in or diagnose?

Ah gotchya, so basically completely separating the attic from the rest of the house. Thanks

(⌐■_■)
    There's no working around the sprayfoam, if you have to work in that wall, it's got to be removed. Also, it's not a good idea to leave it exposed, due to fire danger. And, there's not yet convincing evidence for it's use in old homes, there is a thought that it actually will contribute to problems, due to the difference in envelope construction (old vs. new)
    -Tyler-

yeah... I'd rather do blown in or normal batting. Spray foam is great for sealing and being easy, but it's also expensive and has to be completely removed and replaced if you need to do work around it. No thanks..

Wow really, fire danger? I would assume it would be fire resistant!

I'm also curious to know if there's a noticeable improvement with the new insulation/sealing, you should do an update after a bit.

(⌐■_■)
    It's not like it's super easy to light, but it's much easier than a sheet of drywall
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    Finished removing the old tile shower in the basement bathroom, tore out two walls of the laundry room/basement hall, re-framed, replaced the door w/ a much larger one, plumbed everything in the laundry w/ PEX, re-wired a few circuits, moved a switch, put up mold reistant drywall and installed a modern dryer vent (and taped the seams). Last piece of drywall went up at ~10:45 last night. I am beat
    -Tyler-

Dang. Sounds like you had a fun weekend! I want pictures! (Actually, video from start to finish would be great, but pictures will suffice ).

(⌐■_■)
    I took a few pictures, I'll try and get them online sometime soon.
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    Before

Some holes from previously running electrical & the condensate drain for the furnace.

Opened wet-wall

Also note the fire extinguisher in the foreground, it is attached to a wall, and there is a door coming into the utility room.

No mo' do'

And the wall is completely missing too. As we peeled back layers on the ceiling, we realized just how poorly constructed the door frame and wall were.

Vork! Vork!

My dad cutting some studs for the new wall.

Previously....

I had torn out the basement bathroom, except for the tile shower.

Walls come down...

Since we were already going to be making a trip to the dump, it was time to finish tearing out the shower.

And then disappear

The back wall of the shower was tiles directly on the concrete foundation, took a lot of work with a hammer and chisel to clean that off.

Plumbed

Replaced all of the galvanized plumbing with PEX, and added an in-wall drain & trap for the washing machine.

Wallboard

Installed mold-resistant drywall in the laundry area. Moving the appliance hookups allowed me to push the dryer, washer, and sink over by ~2 feet.

Still need to add a pic of the newly framed wall and door.
    Last edited by twardnw; 2015.04.10 at 15:16 PM.
    -Tyler-

ooh that looks nice. Love the PEX pipe

+ Reply to Thread