Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Das haus

everyone probably knows me by now girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood's Avatar
    Nice, looks like some great improvements.

Regular Member V8-190e is on a distinguished road V8-190e's Avatar
    Man - it is a ton of work isn't it? I am doing something similar as well. Does look so much better when done though.

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    Yeah, I was dead tired when I showed up to work on Tuesday

Not only does it look better, but I know the work I can't see under the drywall is done correctly
    -Tyler-

Quote: Originally Posted by twardnw View Post
    Not only does it look better, but I know the work I can't see under the drywall is done correctly
    peace of mind
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    Put on the first coat of mud last night, and sanded it today, second coat is one and drying now.

And, here is the previously mentioned new wall and door.
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    No pics to update, but got the small hallway drywalled in, and more mud in the laundry area. Hopefully tomorrow evening the mud is looking good enough to move on to painting. Oh, going to put some of this behind where the sink is attached to the wall too, just to make it easier for cleaning splashes from brewing.
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    Hallway

Behind door in laundry room

Goal today is to finish sanding the main laundry area, get a coat of primer down, and get last coat of mud in hallway. Hosting a party tomorrow, need to get the basement cleaned up, everything from the laundry room is strewn about the living space right now
    -Tyler-

everyone probably knows me by now girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood's Avatar
    Awesome progress, man. Love seeing this kind of DIY stuff! Curious, what are you doing in regards to between the cement walls below grade and the drywall?

(⌐■_■)
    We're just leaving the existing walls as-is for now, so it's just 2x on top of the concrete (or asbestos tiles in some areas). Fortunately, we're at the top of a hill, and have extremely good drainage in the area, so there is no issue with water intrusion. The drywall is spaced off the floor just a hair though.
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    Got the FRP up and first coat of primer on.
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    debating on painting that concrete...
    -Tyler-

Regular Member alxdgr8 will become famous soon enough
    debating on painting that concrete...
    I would. Would brighten up the room more and make it look like less of a basement.
    -Alex @vexartmedia-
    '03 Audi S8 (Avus/Oxblood - DD)
    '92 Porsche 968 (VW 07k 2.5T swap in the works) --- '86 Audi Coupe GT (2.3L 20v swap) ---'83 Audi UrQuattro (2.2L 20vt swap in progress)

(⌐■_■)
    Of course, I was too focused on just working my ass off, and didn't take any photos. But, over last weekend and this weekend, I dug ~100' of trenching (shovel width, down to 18-24"), for the back yard sprinklers. Can't say that I fixed the existing ones, because I just straight-up cut the pipe leading to them, and recycled the valves into all my new pipe. 4 zones, grass, flower beds, garden beds, and blueberries. I had previously complained a bit about the existing sprinkler lines, as they were all with 6-8" depth. And I definitely discovered why. Just below that depth, there is a layer of nicely compacted sand/soil/clay mix, a shovel is useless on it, so I had to use the mattock to get the rest of the depth. Also got a part of our dirt mound (best previous pic : http://imgur.com/0UXJiXs ) leveled out, and planted one of the blueberries and seeded some grass there : http://imgur.com/HjVJsYO .

Was an ass-load of work, I am dead tired, but, all the sprinklers are hooked up to my Opensprinkler, and I won't have to worry about watering anything around here, ever!
    -Tyler-

and it's cool
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

(⌐■_■)
    Finally broke down the sheet of plywood I had out in the garage, building an open cabinet for storage by my workbench. This weekend I think I'll pick up a couple more sheets, build an outfeed table for the table saw, and maybe build one base cabinet. Did I share this layout already?

-Tyler-

I haven't seen it

what's the lower middle section?

Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    I haven't seen it

what's the lower middle section?
    for a mitre saw i would say.

(⌐■_■)
    ^winrar
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    but I think I'm going to go with level all the way across, and build a rolling cart/station for the mitre saw instead. It'll allow me to keep the cabinets at 24"
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    Cabinets will be frameless, and at this point, thinking drawers for everything, no doors/shelves. Much nicer to pull everything out. Plans will be inspired from : http://tombuildsstuff.blogspot.com/2...-cabinets.html but I am going to go with 36" wide, no back (garage walls are being covered in OSB), and then will build a fairly heavy top on them. Oh, the other fun part is matching the slope of the garage floor, it falls off ~3" over the length.
    -Tyler-

Cabinets will be frameless, and at this point, thinking drawers for everything, no doors/shelves. Much nicer to pull everything out. Plans will be inspired from : http://tombuildsstuff.blogspot.com/2...-cabinets.html but I am going to go with 36" wide, no back (garage walls are being covered in OSB), and then will build a fairly heavy top on them. Oh, the other fun part is matching the slope of the garage floor, it falls off ~3" over the length.
    Build them as square type boxes with adjustable feet instead of the built in kick. Much easier and if you have that much floor variation will make your life way easier - hint - just by the feet themselves from IKEA.

(⌐■_■)
    Similar to what I was thinking. No toe-kick built into the cabinets, but anchor a 2x4 frame on the stem wall, level that, drop the cabinets on top, then eventually use that to mount the toe-kick
    -Tyler-

Cool read on that tombuildstuff. I need to start making plans... I'm ripping out the whole left side of cabinets and drawers in my garage. They're mis-matched and it bothers me to the point I'd rather have none. It'd be nice to build something like you're planning. This might be a stupid question, but are you planning on attaching them to the wall? If so, at what points?

(⌐■_■)
    Definitely going to be attached to the wall, I'll have stringers/nailers across the back of the cabinets and tie them in there.
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    I'm bad at pictures. Maybe I'll snap some tomorrow. But, today... Started with a trip to Home Depot, picked up 2 sheets of OSB (for walls in garage) and 4 sheets of mildew-resistant drywall (for basement bathroom). Spent some time clearing out my toolbox of random crap that was piling up, and the workbench, and the shelving next to it... Then I actually pulled my workbench off the wall. Cleaned off all the shelving by the workbench, and pulled the sheeting off the wall. Finished running the outlet and light for the workbench, put sheeting back up. Moved the recycled cabinets we use for lawn-tool storage, and then sheeted the rest of that corner of the garage. Then re-mounted the cabinets, and hung the new shelving unit I built. Finished the day off by building a new cart for the table saw. And now, I am tired...
    -Tyler-

+ Reply to Thread