Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MK3 VR6 possible fuel pump issue

Normal Member Kinnikinnick is on a distinguished road

MK3 VR6 possible fuel pump issue

Hi all, had a shop replace my fuel filter and lines this last Friday. Drove the car home fine. Saturday car sputtered while driving in 3rd about 3200rpm. Got it home and now when driving it will die when I come to a stop, car out of gear and idling.

I am able to smoothly drive it around but I can feel the sputter at times. The worst is it dieing when idle.

I assume this is a fuel issue... What do u think?

Thanks,
    -Matt
    Last edited by Kinnikinnick; 2014.04.06 at 16:39 PM.

Seems to happen more when the engine is warm.

I checked for codes today and got two.

p0102 MAF Sensor and p0301 Cylinder 1 misfire.

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    Yeah, I would lean toward MAF. However, you say they replaced your fuel lines. What engine is this? If they replaced the lines under the hood, they will have needed to mess with the airbox and as such, the MAF. Perhaps its not plugged in all the way?

Regular Member benny_mech will become famous soon enough
    I once screwed the pooch by forgetting to fit the boot all the way back onto my throttle body. Motor ran lean because air was pulled in, bypassing the MAF. Live and learn.
    “Religion is a defense against the experience of God.”
    — C.G. Jung

Egnines a VR6 12v. I think its the MAF thanks. Def not the work the shop did as the codes are MAf and misfiring cyl. p0301 Cyl 1 misfire and p0102 MAF sensor volume low...

I cleaned the MAF and have ordered new spark plugs. Hoping these things fix both codes. Going to be looking into the coil pack tonight. Anything else I should be looking into? Sorry really two different issues im talking about here.

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    results?

Car has been running good now for a week. I am thinking the MAF code was a loose MAF connection but I replaced the MAF with a used one and havent had any motor running issues since. No more stalling and loss of power.

The Cylinder 1 misfire is hopefully resolved with the new sparks put in a few days ago.

Now the issue is I am hearing chain noise that I did not hear when I bought the car. Owner reported chains were done and receipts checked out, clearly wasn't done right as timing case is leaking too. Damn damn damn.

can always stop by Fine Tuning and have them tell you what they think
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

Thats the hard part, living in Everett and working Mon-Fri. The car isnt a daily

If the tensioner gets clogged with oil sludge the chains can start to get noisy. I cleaned mine out and it made a difference.
    — C.G. Jung

The chains were recently done but I fear incorrectly/badly. Should I consider changing the sprockets as well?

I'd think just changing the guides and chains would do it. If the sprockets are worn, you'd probably be able to see it.
    — C.G. Jung

Regular Member Helios is on a distinguished road Helios's Avatar
    I had to change a sprocket...

But it's out of the ordinary. Think the valve keeper went through there and busted off a tooth.

And this is why people, you run HD valve springs when running aggressive cams.
    -Chris S.

"If they ain't a little too wide, they ain't wide enough!"
    '76 Mk1 / '86 Rocco / '87 XR4Ti / '93.5 SLC / '94 SVT / '95 RS / '03 GC Limited

I'm buying a timing chain kit from GAP. Should I buy anything in addition to it? Im considering the Valve cover and intake manifold gaskets. I read but could not find the thread again about some type of little green looking little grommet/gasket looking thing that someone had mentioned needing to buy. Anyone have any clue what im talking about?

Info on the car, it is a stock 12valve VR6. Engine number AAA 266 616 (single row chain)

you will not be able to do the job without the valve cover gasket and intake manifold gasket. while you are there, I would do a head gasket as well since its pretty easy at that point and you can upgrade to an MLS unit. the green oring is something to get as well.

great thanks!

Regular Member Helios is on a distinguished road Helios's Avatar
    Make sure to verify the chain does NOT have a master link in it. Most of the chain kits GAP sells do not...however a friend of mine did receive one with a master link. Fortunately he caught it when inspecting the parts prior to starting the job, so he was able to have it exchanged for the non-link type.
    -Chris S.

"If they ain't a little too wide, they ain't wide enough!"
    '76 Mk1 / '86 Rocco / '87 XR4Ti / '93.5 SLC / '94 SVT / '95 RS / '03 GC Limited

I ended up buying a new upper tensioner bolt. I have head that these sometimes are installed wrong or faulty so I thought this would be a good try before doing a full chain job. Thoughts?

I have heard the same about the tensioner.. only from the internets. I have never tried it since all the cars that I have dealt with making chain noises actually need chains. Sounds more like a vortexpert repair, but since you have it, might as well try it. I would plan on doing chains though in the future..

Installing the tensioner wrong is pretty much impossible. If it was installed wrong, we probably would have mentioned Valdez, Exxon, Halliburton, or some other disastrous calamity.

Quote: Originally Posted by Rabbit 16v View Post
    If it was installed wrong, we probably would have mentioned Valdez, Exxon, Halliburton, or some other disastrous calamity.
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

Alright, I'll let you guys knows what it looks like when I open it and if the new bolt fixes the lil noise im hearing.

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    When we did the chains on my old '99 Mk3 VR6. The chains and guides were fine, the tension bolt had seized and wasn't tensioning. It was still piece of mind doing all of the chains and guides though.

Do the newer upper tensioner bolts need the crush washer?

upper tensioner bolts?

*Bolt

+ Reply to Thread