Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: The $500 saved from the scrapper Cabriolet

You know, that new fender looks so clean you're going to have to wash and wax the rest of the car!

A Somebody Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody's Avatar
    It is actually really dirty and dull, but the rest of the car is absolutely filthy. I will wish when I am done working on it, just don't see the point right now. I still have to change the entire top assembly and put the new passenger side door on. Plus all the maintenance.

Oh waw, lots of work ahead!

A Somebody Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody's Avatar
    Struts,top cleaner and transmission inspection plate arrived today.

it's a good feeling to have so many new parts sitting like that
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

it will be a better feeling once the parts start going on the car Getting antsy to make some progress on it, the plan is the weekend of the 21st to start on it.

And the new springs came in today.

Last of the parts orders came in the last couple of days.

The maintenance guy at work welded the little bracket that the seat height adjustment rod slips into back on the seat for me. It broke off the first time a moved the seat.

Just ran out to West Seattle and picked this up for $40.

nice.. seems like most of the cabby quad round setups are busted
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

The one on the car is good, but couldn't pass up such a good deal to have a spare and spare lights.

So started working on it today and got no where the amount of work I wanted to get done to it today, one of the most frustrating days I have had working on a car ever.

So I changed the wheel cylinders today, cleaned everything up and I had to replace the brake shoes, wasn't expecting that.

Before

This is why I had too change the shoes also.

After

Best invention ever!

This dosen't really show how dirty the fluid was very well, but couldn't get a shot that looked ant better.

The dirty fluid in the flush bottle.

All better
    Last edited by Mr.Nobody; 2014.06.21 at 20:24 PM.

New tool showed up today, tool for making removing the strut gland nut off the front strut housing to remove the cartridge easier.

pics of what that's used for?

It's for removing the nut that holds the strut cartridge in.

oh.. must be some mk1 thing?

Yeah, I think early MKII's also used strut cartridges, but everybody just switch them to the later style, so you just replaced the whole strut.

I had two '85 gti's (so, westy's).. they were the standard strut setup

I haven't paid much attention to mk1 cars though. My sister had a late cabriolet, and my brother has had two rabbits (German and Westmoreland).. guess I should have paid attention

Just did some quick research(looked in my MKII Bentley) and some early MKII's did have strut inserts.

Regular Member benny_mech will become famous soon enough
    IIRC there's an early and late version of the strut housings, and that tool.
    “Right now, it's like this.”
    ― Ajahn Sumedho

Tonight I removed all the cruise control crap from under the hood, replaced all the vacuum lines and cleaned some connections. Also defeated the airbag system so I don't have the damn lights on my cluster glowing.

Made some progress on it yesterday. Dropped the oil pan and found no bad surprises, everything looks good on the bottom end. Pulled the oil pump pick up tube and cleaned the screen. Scrubbed the oil pan and upgraded to the newer rubber pan gasket also.

Next I pulled the valve cover because I thought I needed to replace the gasket, but found a nice surprise, it had been upgraded to the rubber gasket kit from a G60 already and the gasket looked new. So I am guessing that someone changed it not to long before it was parked and just didn't clean the mess off the motor.

When I reassembled everything I scrubbed the valve cover, cleaned the ICV and scrubbed all the ground connections. I then changed the fuel filter. I am thinking it must have been clogged a little, because on the test drive after I finished it felt like I gained 10hp just from that. The final thing I did is replaced the knock sensor.

Pics of the cruise control stuff I removed the night before.

Dirty oil pan

Clean oil pan

Dirty valve cover and grounds

All cleaned up

Guess which knock sensor is the new one.

Next weekend the new top goes on.

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    Looking good! I might have missed it, but what is the end goal?

No specific end goal. Just focusing on fixing everything, making it look decent and run reliable.As much as I hate to say it my neighbor hitting it was actually a good thing. It sucks that the title is branded, but gave us the funds to progress it faster than we thought.

After work I changed the cap,rotor,plugs and plug wires. I also used a MkIII spark plug wire loom like I did on my Jetta to clean up the wires.

Before

The contact points in the cap were pretty crusty.

The rotor was toast.

After

+ Reply to Thread