Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2014 Detroit Euro Rally

2014 Detroit Euro Rally

Have you spent a good amount of time and money to make your car drive and handle better? Well, you're probably the exception to the car enthusiast rule these days.

Join this group of car enthusiasts that like the sound of squealing rubber over the sound of frames scraping.

The weekend will go as follows:

PORTLAND GROUP:

We'll meetup in the Starbucks @ 10225 Southeast Sunnyside Road, Clackamas, OR 97015 @ 8:30am, get coffee, mill around, make our introductions to one another, etc. Then at 9am sharp we'll hit the road.

The first stop will be at the Carver Hanger for breakfast. For those that don't know, Carver Hanger has good ol' country style food and is a beacon for local Hot Rodders. If it gets too busy, there is another decent breakfast place about a block away.

Those coming from other locations:

You're welcome to follow the schedule for the Portlander group. Although, jumping in at the Rally at the meetup point in Estacada is the only really important part.

We'll then arrive in Estacada at 10:30

Well stage in the Subway parking lot
    https://maps.google.com/maps?q=mapqu...ed=0CAoQ_AUoAg

Here there will be a driver's meeting at 11:15 and head out at 11:45.

In Estacada please top off the tanks, empty the bladders, and get any last minute road trip supplies needed for the weekend, there are no other places to stop for fuel or food until Detroit, OR

We'll then make the 72.5 mile drive down the Clackamas Highway to Detroit Lake. Almost this entire stretch of road is well paved, twisty, and beautiful.

Here's the map of the route:
    http://goo.gl/maps/r6djA

ABOUT DETROIT, OR

The main strip in Detroit, OR features a very nice, but small motor motel that's been recently renovated. There is a good deal of recent construction. There's a grocery story, gas station, boat marina with rentals, campgrounds, a nice comfortable bar/lounge serving micro brews, pool tables. There are also several restaurants as well as vacation rental property.

SAFETY NOTICES:

1. This rally is a group drive, not a race!

2. The road surface conditions can change without notice. There can be wildlife, downed trees, fallen rocks, or fluke weather conditions on the roadway at any moment. Drive defensively.

3. There will be long stretches of road without cell phone service. Because of this, you are urged to stay clustered with other cars for support. Should you break down, or get into an accident in the middle of the Mt. Hood National Forest, it could be hours before you get help.

4. You'll be a long ways from home. That tow bill will hurt your wallet and take a long time. Drive spirited, but not like you stole it. If your car is in any kind of questionable state, think hard about getting stuck in the woods.

5. Value your life. There are corners on this road that can kill. Lean towards overly cautious because there is no reset button.

6. This is not a slammed/stanced/bagged friendly route. This is not a car show. Think about spinning those coilovers up, you're going to need the suspension travel. If you're holding up traffic because you have to crawl over every little bump, then please find the nearest turnout to let traffic pass.

And most importantly of all!

7. Have fun!
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

in theory I can do this

in reality, maybe not. We'll see...
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

Bump.

I would love to see some Fahrennites come out. Anyone have a road-going track car?
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Bump for this weekend.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

everyone probably knows me by now Jazzydub has a spectacular aura about Jazzydub has a spectacular aura about Jazzydub's Avatar
    I'm too "stancey" for this.

Bump for tomorrow!
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

A Somebody Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody's Avatar
    Wish it wasn't so far away.

busy busy
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

Here's some photos from today:

LIned up by Twelvizm, on Flickr

The turnout was pretty good. I think it was around 15 cars.

MKIII, B5, B5.5, E30 by Twelvizm, on Flickr

This year's crowd was mostly VW

MKIII by Twelvizm, on Flickr

I happy to see that there are still dubbers that build cars for the task they were meant for, driving. Cheers to you.

B5 by Twelvizm, on Flickr

I heard that the owner of this B5 picked it up for a steal. A well-bought steal at that. White with a very uncommon lack of a feature, it's a slicktop. That's the first time I've seen a Passat without a sunroof.

MKIII and MKII by Twelvizm, on Flickr

Zane's MKIII and a MKII that I didn't learn anything about.

Bryan and Ashley by Twelvizm, on Flickr

Bryan and Ashley patiently waiting for the slow wagon in front of them to quit ****ing around with taking photos while driving, and get busy driving.

Bryan's GTI by Twelvizm, on Flickr

Just outside of Estacada, playing "Who's in Front?"

E30 Parked in the Street by Twelvizm, on Flickr

I"m shooting with my new camera, and still getting the muscle memory down on changing the manual settings. Too fast of shutter, and now he looks parked.

Ford Focus RS by Twelvizm, on Flickr

It was nice to see some "Euro" Fords out for a drive.

Zane by Twelvizm, on Flickr

Zane. He has a .gif coming his way. Look for it on Reddit.

Passat B5.5 4Motion by Twelvizm, on Flickr

My Family Truckster. I'm now daily driving the wagon. More room for gear.

E30 by Twelvizm, on Flickr

This is a very, period-appropriately swapped E30.

E30 by Twelvizm, on Flickr

The exhaust note from this M30B35 swapped E30 was music.

Period Appropriate by Twelvizm, on Flickr

This is one of the best motors ever built. A powerhouse, that needs very little. A driver's dream.

Tesla in the Woods by Twelvizm, on Flickr

This was a surprise.

The 2014 Group by Twelvizm, on Flickr

Here's everyone who made it happen this year! It was great driving with you all. I'm sorry I didn't meet everyone.

Lovingly Restored by Twelvizm, on Flickr

Allan bought this E21 323i TC1 Baur from me and has poured himself into getting it cleaned up. I bought it as a mostly disassembled car with a frozen motor. Allan has brought this rare car back from being a parts car, to road-worthy. This made my car-year.

Lovingly Restored by Twelvizm, on Flickr

A rare sight. An original E21 M20B23, CIS motor. A twist of fate brought this motor to this car. Formerly from another friend's hardtop 323i, it found it's way to me, and went with the Baur to Allan. The Baur had a frozen M20B27 ETA, so this is a very nice turn of events.

Tesla in Detroit, OR by Twelvizm, on Flickr

It seems Elon is doing great things in unusual places.

Leaving Detroit Lake by Twelvizm, on Flickr

Time to head back to Portland the quick route via Hwy 22.

Saab Sonnet by Twelvizm, on Flickr

Random Saab Sonnet on I
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

that saab is cool

I see some stancy cars

There wasn't a single airride car in the bunch. And everyone was driving like they meant it.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    Very cool!

+ Reply to Thread